Job and General Employment Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Actually, the better comparison would be "added bonus", or "false pretense", since it's not acronym-related.
Ha, I don't think I've ever seen an animated gif of that. (Or if I have, I didn't realize it was animated) That's the go-to from here on.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 am

Has anyone ever gotten, say, two months into a new job and cannot shake the feeling that this is not your forever home? Advice?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Boy howdy, deja vu.

I spent the last year at a place that I knew 2-3 months in wasn't right. Start looking immediately before it brings you down. Seriously, I got to a point of job stress/bringing work home/obsessing/etc that I had never been before in my life. It sucks the life out of you.

To paraphrase Eddie Murphy...........Get out.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Stick it out for 6-12 months. If things don't change, move on. Any earlier and it'll look bad on a resume.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:06 pm

I disagree. Between six months and 18 months/two years is where it looks sketchy imo. (Which is where I am, whoooo!)

When you're at 2-3 months, that's the normal probie period at most employers. Sort of the try-it-on-for-size time. You've gotten your head around the role, and figured out the corporate culture. And you know what? This just isn't for me. Let's cut ties now before we get too far down this path.

Interested to hear Shaf's take on this.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:12 pm

There is definitely a floor, and it's debatable where that floor is. It all depends on the situation too. We had a guy last a little over a month and my boss was given a slap on the wrist for hiring such a shmuck. He definitely burned any bridges there may have been.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Any hope of turning around the company culture? That's what I endeavor to do at my place...I am very vocal about culture and have effected positive change...health/wellness committee, policy changes, out of work activities...

I have a little more clout at my job than maybe some, but I do try to use it for good against the perceived oligarchy...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:59 pm

So I was just voluntold to be an admin for our CMO for a database and software for all of my job series. Woot. Fun...

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Any hope of turning around the company culture? That's what I endeavor to do at my place...I am very vocal about culture and have effected positive change...health/wellness committee, policy changes, out of work activities...

I have a little more clout at my job than maybe some, but I do try to use it for good against the perceived oligarchy...
Not really, the people that make the decisions have been there (together) for quite awhile. Plus I'm new and don't want to rattle cages off the bat.

I just kind of feel like the job I interviewed for is not the job I have, my "boss" doesn't engage with me, leaving me to be "managed" by someone who is not my direct superior, which I find odd. I've been given all of the red-headed stepchild work (I literally feel like everything I touch is sh*t, bunged to hell and back, up to me to figure it out seemingly on my own), all the while boss and pseudo-boss tell me "you'll be fine." Uh, is that because I'm really going to be fine or because you NEED me to be fine?

Not to mention, the physical office environment is crap - it's a windowless cube farm, I never see the light of day until I leave. Pay/benefits/commute are good - but right now that's about it. :/

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:19 am

@shafnutz05

Honestly seeking your take on short-duration employment terms in regards to resume evaluation.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:43 am

@shafnutz05

Honestly seeking your take on short-duration employment terms in regards to resume evaluation.
In relatively brief stints, not a big deal. In fact, it can be a great way to broaden your experience in different fields (or parts of your field, as it were). That said, if I see a resume of someone that has been working contracts for multiple years, I am admittedly going to be skeptical as to their ability/desire to stay at one place long-term.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 am

In that case, I agree with tif. I have assembled like a sixth of my company at this point from an interview/hiring perspective and if someone worked somewhere for three months and I asked about it and got your answer, I wouldn't view it as a negative on you in the lesst...especially if your work history isn't littered with a bunch of these incidents...which if I recall right, is not the case, you worked some place else since the Roman Oksuita era...

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Ha! - indeed. Shy of 21 years at my last job. I know I really should give this place more time, but frankly I hate it right now and I'm not able to come up with ideas of how it's going to get any better any time soon. I guess I just need to suck it up until it becomes the new normal.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 pm

A little part of me died reading that last sentence.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:04 pm

I felt the same way typing it. :\

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Trust me, don't settle in to that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Trust me, don't settle in to that.
*unless you can get dodint great discounts on kids toys

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:22 am

I hurt my right wrist at work a few weeks ago that still hasn't healed, and then I sliced my left thumb open yesterday. I basically have lost all ability to do lab work and can only type with a couple fingers.

This is me at work right now:

I'm so bored

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:00 pm

The head of business development for our division is in town this week. He invited me and two others to dinner tonight, and carved out 90 minutes for me tomorrow. Wish me luck - hoping for a bit of a new role! :scared:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:08 pm

i told my friend if I get good news I'll send him this

bad news is this

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Ha! - indeed. Shy of 21 years at my last job. I know I really should give this place more time, but frankly I hate it right now and I'm not able to come up with ideas of how it's going to get any better any time soon. I guess I just need to suck it up until it becomes the new normal.
You work in tax, right? My only advice is this: when I switched to a new firm, I was pretty overwhelmed by a lot of the work that way I seemed to be "stuck" with. A lot of it was a real challenge to untangle. But after the first year, the work itself was a lot easier after I got familiar with it. So hang in there.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:12 pm

For whatever the hell reason, my department is like thrilled about the bring your kid to work day tomorrow. Why is this a thing?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:13 pm

For whatever the hell reason, my department is like thrilled about the bring your kid to work day tomorrow. Why is this a thing?
I look forward to when I can bring my daughter, as well. Everyone here has a good time with it, including the kids.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Thursday is my normal WFH day. Damn shame, that.