Job and General Employment Thread

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 am

Dat first day back after vacation doe.
It's the worst. I had a discussion with someone about this earlier today. I feel like 3 days is no big deal, 4 days is the limit for me when it becomes almost agonizing.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 am

See...that's why I don't take them...or something... :idea:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:04 pm

it still amazes me when people intentionally under perform on a given task to have said task removed from their duties
My little brother used to do this with chores... drove me nuts. Have yet to have seen it in the workplace though. One thing I've seen so far with intentionally under performing is that we have monthly and quarterly bonuses based off of our sales. The numbers get counted when the part is shipped from our facility. If it's obvious that we've either hit the goal or won't hit it, people will hold onto things just a touch longer at the end of the month to let that stuff carry over to the next bonus window.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:20 pm

I use to cut the grass well in the front yard but horrible in the back so mom would make my older brother do it.

There isn't a chore I hate more than cutting grass

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I use to cut the grass well in the front yard but horrible in the back so mom would make my older brother do it.

There isn't a chore I hate more than cutting grass
Conversely, I love mowing the lawn.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I do, too, but then I cruise around on a riding mower with a cold beer.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 pm

I have a lot of grass to cut but I find mowing the lawn less of a chore than I used to think it was. The AWD push mower has improved that area of work greatly.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:39 pm

I find it to be relaxing, for the most part. The simple pleasure of seeing nice, clean lines in the lawn is an added bonus.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Yea, I've grown to appreciate a clean cut yard. I like the smell and how it looks. I also like bagging my grass now, at least in the front of the house. Back of the house I don't care - but I hate clumps in the front yard.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:46 pm

i have a white clover infestation so my grass cutting is more damage control on the aggresively spreading clover. i sprayed it with an herbicide 10 days ago, it starting to die. says it takes 3 weeks. hopefully it will not be needed as worry about the efficacy of said herbicide in the warmer temps

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:47 pm

I've always liked mowing the lawn, even as a kid...

Collecting firewood for our woodburning stove (hey, we lived in a house that was built around the Civil War...), that was my least favorite chore...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Our home furnace was wood burning. Cutting, splitting, stacking, transferring from the stack to the house during the winter, etc all kind of sucked. The worst was when my older brother tossed in a log that had a vine on it. Was poison ivy. His whole face reacted. Had to spend about a week home from school.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Jesus...yeah, well, I guess it could have been worse for me...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Sounds like me, @c2i. I'm terribly allergic to that devil vine.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:04 pm

kenny the kangaroo dated a girl that lived in rural pa, and her grandparents (as well as basically every other house around) was heated by a wood burner. the gf's family including aunts uncles cousins dogs kids grandkids etc (probably 20 to 30 people in all) would all get together once a year in the fall to split logs for the grandparents. log splitting day may have been the fondest memory from that relationship because that event was almost like a holiday. that whole ridiculous family got along, probably because they were working towards a common, worthwhile goal. it was a lot of manual labor, but the satisfying kind of manual labor. we ate pizza and ate cake afterwards.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Along the lawn mowing vein, at which point should one think about purchasing a riding mower? Is it a timer saver? A "I cannot walk that long" thing?

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:17 pm

I always liked splitting logs

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Along the lawn mowing vein, at which point should one think about purchasing a riding mower? Is it a timer saver? A "I cannot walk that long" thing?
If I had an acre to mow, I'd probably own a riding mower if only to save time. I enjoy it, but if I had to spend a significant more time mowing the lawn and taking time away from being able to do other stuff, that would be a problem.

Then again, a guy down the street from me has about 300 sf of lawn and is out there on an old Craftsman riding mower every Saturday. It's hilarious.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:23 pm

I have one for my 1/2 acre and it's wonderful. Use to take me 1.5 hours to do everything (weed eater, and leaf blow, too). Now it takes me forty minutes.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:24 pm

kenny the kangaroo dated a girl that lived in rural pa, and her grandparents (as well as basically every other house around) was heated by a wood burner. the gf's family including aunts uncles cousins dogs kids grandkids etc (probably 20 to 30 people in all) would all get together once a year in the fall to split logs for the grandparents. log splitting day may have been the fondest memory from that relationship because that event was almost like a holiday. that whole ridiculous family got along, probably because they were working towards a common, worthwhile goal. it was a lot of manual labor, but the satisfying kind of manual labor. we ate pizza and ate cake afterwards.
My dad got one of those hydraulic log splitters after I went away to college... I suppose he didn't have a need for one before I left. And he'd pile up the unsplit wood and every Thanksgiving, we'd have a giant wood splitting fest and then go chow down on Thanksgiving dinner. It's fond memories for me as well.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Sandals? Talk about unsafe...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:19 pm

:arrow:
Sandals? Talk about unsafe...
Yep, really unsafe. I had a friend who had a scholarship offer to play soccer at the College of Charleston. Shortly after graduation, he lost two toes while cutting the lawn in flip flops... No more scholarship.

I used to love cutting the lawn, but now I pay a dude. We're gone most weekends, and I have almost an acre that takes me 90 minutes with a push mower. Then another 90 minutes of edging... All in the 90+ heat.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

i think a riding mower is a little different

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:48 pm

I enjoy mowing the grass. The clean lines in the yard afterward is nice. Plus I enjoy making the neighbors yard look like it needs cut even more than it does when its compared to my yard. I also hate bagging, so its mulch all the time for me. I've never even attached the bag that came with the lawnmower haha.