Job and General Employment Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 am

Looking for some feedback on a job application situation.

This gentleman previously applied, interviewed, and receceived an offer from a firm in fall of 2015, so roughly 1.5 years ago. This gentleman liked the firm but wasn't crazy about the job/pay situation and subsequently declined the offer, but all in all the interview process went well. Flash forward to today: They have two jobs that are interesting posted on the site. This gentleman still has the contact information from the guy that coordinated the bulk of the interview process. He was a good dude and easy to communicate with. Should this gentleman just contact him directly about the two jobs, or just apply for the two jobs in a conventional way? Not sure what the protocol is here. On one hand, in a way it seems kenny the the kangaroo has a contact within the firm, but on the other hand, that was a while ago and the odds of him remembering this gentleman are somewhat low. Plus, these jobs are both very interesting so this gentleman doesn't want to step on toes.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 am

M-E's do seem to be the most pushy about certain things, in my experience.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:21 am

This gentleman previously applied, interviewed, and receceived an offer from a firm in fall of 2015, so roughly 1.5 years ago. This gentleman liked the firm but wasn't crazy about the job/pay situation and subsequently declined the offer, but all in all the interview process went well. Flash forward to today: They have two jobs that are interesting posted on the site. This gentleman still has the contact information from the guy that coordinated the bulk of the interview process. He was a good dude and easy to communicate with. Should this gentleman just contact him directly about the two jobs, or just apply for the two jobs in a conventional way? Not sure what the protocol is here. On one hand, in a way it seems kenny the the kangaroo has a contact within the firm, but on the other hand, that was a while ago and the odds of him remembering this gentleman are somewhat low. Plus, these jobs are both very interesting so this gentleman doesn't want to step on toes.
i would apply and then reach out to the guy and say hey guy i interviewed with you for position xyz on star date 1313.5. i enjoyed our interview and found the company very intriguing and i know that my experience in the last 18 months or whatever have prepared me well for an opportunity like this

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:24 am

Yes, exactly.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:46 am

Exactly the type of pro tip this gentleman was looking for.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:48 am

100% reach out to the guy directly. Any chance they have to expedite the recruitment/hiring process, they'll pounce on. Just be gracious about the experience you had interviewing with them and "let him know" that you will be submitting your resume for consideration.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 am

Source of the post This is the fifth or sixth example since I started there of parents getting involved, and in all cases it has involved families of Middle Eastern descent.
We have plenty of Gringo or native born 'Merican parents calling our college president complaining about class schedules, dorm room draw selection, and so on. They also call faculty directly about their kid's bad grades and so on. #enabling

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am

Four or five months ago, I wrote an email to the director of HR (the shtty one that got fired) and my manager expressing my grave concerns about the future of this team. My biggest concerns were low team morale, and a concern that people were going to start leaving if we did not do something about workloads.

Fast forward to today. Three out of four colleagues are now gone that worked with me when I wrote the letter. The fourth, my best friend, had an interview yesterday with another firm that went extremely well, and his last day will likely be May 19. I will be the only remaining person from early January.

This team is headed for destruction, and my absolutely shitty manager will be out on maternity leave while it happens. I cannot believe how short-sighted she is.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:25 am

why do you still work there

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 am

Really, really good question ^

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 am

Battered Shaf Syndrome.

Deep down, the company really does love shaf and things will be okay. Someday.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:52 am

I've applied to a dozen places in the last several weeks. It's not as simple as just walking out of the building and hoping something else comes along. I also don't want to jump ship for a shitty job. As bad as this place is right now, I have job security and I'm making pretty good money for central Pennsylvania.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:26 pm

I've applied to a dozen places in the last several weeks.
This is some valuable context that I must have missed if you've posted it before. :lol:

Battered Shaf syndrome, indeed.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:50 pm

I've applied to a dozen places in the last several weeks.
This is some valuable context that I must have missed if you've posted it before. :lol:

Battered Shaf syndrome, indeed.
PA GOP is accepting applications from motivated individuals:

https://www.pagop.org/signup/jobs/

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Shaf should run for the PA senate seat in 2018.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:36 pm

"All PA GOP members must be able to extend and hold arm at a 45 degree angle for a minimum of a minute."

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Y'all have to remember I live in Lancaster County and relocation is not really an option right now.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Y'all have to remember I live in Lancaster County and relocation is not really an option right now.
You could form an LLC, work for Factorial (doing what?) and only pay 15% income tax.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Source of the post You could form an LLC, work for Factorial (doing what?) and only pay 15% income tax.
Didn't even have to look at the username to know who posted this.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 pm

You could form an LLC, work for Factorial (doing what?) and only pay 15% income tax.
I don't employ riffraff like Shaf.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:14 pm

I like how relocation is the perceived barrier. :wink:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:20 pm

It's his glass ceiling.

Or wall, whatever.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Not everyone is as mobile as you are and willing to be separated from their spouse for long periods of time.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:36 pm

I don't employ riffraff like Shaf.
You probably have 35 hours a week to give for someone willing to empty and clean out the ashtrays.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:38 pm

That's a once every few months operation since I scored one of these for the porch: