Job and General Employment Thread

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:10 pm

I've worked at < 10 and would never do that again....talk about psychologically claustrophobic.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Yeah... we're at 44 and a half-time web dude. It's almost a perfect environment.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:16 pm

The average of those companies was maybe 60-70 people. When I joined Konami, the US office had 130-odd people, but that was whittled down to around 50-60 by the time I left.

By contrast, Fox had over 10,000 employees on the lot and in the (Nakatomi) Tower where I worked. I'm part of a huge corporate hierarchy now, but everything is highly siloed, and it's very much a sense of many individual companies with their own identities and cultures. I think we have around 1,100 or so here in San Mateo, plus a few hundred between all of the studios in SoCal.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Worked 13 years in a < 30 company. I'm now at a place with hundreds of thousands of employees. So much overhead. So inefficient.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:57 pm

I should have known... I could have been home by now. The last day before every holiday, they send everyone home at 4:00 or so. I had plans for starting something at 4:30, and now I'm the only one left in the building. :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:24 pm

I've worked at < 10 and would never do that again....talk about psychologically claustrophobic.
:lol: :slug:

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:26 pm

;)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

Pro tip. When applying for a job, and a company is responsible enough to send you a rejection notice (as opposed to never sending a response), it's never a good idea to burn bridges :lol:
What a joke of a human resource department. I am beyond qualified for this position. You obviously did not read my cover letter and resume. I have a masters degree, whilst the job required a bachelors. I have experience up to and beyond, including teaching students the requirements in the job description. You obviously were not wanting to find the best person but wanted to hire family or within. Good day and good luck having to train someone.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:10 am

I can't tell if that reminds me more of godric or grunty.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:11 am

Worked 13 years in a < 30 company. I'm now at a place with hundreds of thousands of employees. So much overhead. So inefficient.
Welcome to my world. :lol:

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:37 am

Pro tip. When applying for a job, and a company is responsible enough to send you a rejection notice (as opposed to never sending a response), it's never a good idea to burn bridges :lol:
What a joke of a human resource department. I am beyond qualified for this position. You obviously did not read my cover letter and resume. I have a masters degree, whilst the job required a bachelors. I have experience up to and beyond, including teaching students the requirements in the job description. You obviously were not wanting to find the best person but wanted to hire family or within. Good day and good luck having to train someone.
Wow. I honestly really, really appreciate rejection notices / it oddly makes me feel fine. I just despise the never-respond instances (vast majority)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:39 am

What's amazing is this email was from a frigging graduate research assistant with ZERO actual working experience. That's quite the response from someone that hasn't even stepped off a college campus yet.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 am

What's amazing is this email was from a frigging graduate research assistant with ZERO actual working experience. That's quite the response from someone that hasn't even stepped off a college campus yet.
I hope that you keep an all time worst emails archive. :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:42 am

A Facebook post from three years ago popped up in the Memories or whatever section. It was a picture of my co-workers at the time. There were seven in the picture. There are three of us still employed here.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 am

Or...it makes even more sense because they're I've-got-the-world-figured-out-and-I'm-the-best-at-it mid-20-something and therefore, they spout off mindless, overreaction nonsense at the drop of a hat...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:48 am

Speaking of turnover, we have a position open (yes, the one that's been open for about 3 months...grrr) and the minimum requirement is a BA degree. So far, we've gotten either current college students or people with graduate degrees. :face: It's $12 an hour, sadly. It makes me very sad.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:52 am

All of my bosses, functional and virtual, are not here today. What a way to ease back into the week.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 am

All of my bosses, functional and virtual, are not here today. What a way to ease back into the week.
My boss decided to extend his three day weekend to four. :fist:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:55 am

Is it still normal practice to keep resumes to one page? It's hard for me to whittle mine down to such a short summary, without leaving out key experiences I'd like to highlight.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:58 am

Is it still normal practice to keep resumes to one page? It's hard for me to whittle mine down to such a short summary, without leaving out key experiences I'd like to highlight.
Not that I'm looking for a job, but it would be spilling over to three pages by now. I wouldn't artificially limit yourself.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:01 am

There's a happy medium, the one page thing is not always practical. Mine is an even two pages.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 am

Not that I'm looking for a job, but it would be spilling over to three pages by now. I wouldn't artificially limit yourself.
I'm sitting at 2 full pages now and feel like I'm shorting myself. But also don't want to bore potential employers.

I'm not really looking either, but do want to throw a few lines in the water to see if there are any nibbles.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:12 am

Wow. I honestly really, really appreciate rejection notices / it oddly makes me feel fine. I just despise the never-respond instances (vast majority)
Agreed...rejection notices are the best. Gives you the opportunity to cross off a potential job and just not think about it anymore.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:21 am

Highlight yourself, but do it succinctly. I can't imagine there is much need for a resume that's over two pages for most positions.

If it's something really high up, maybe...I don't hire for stuff that's really high up...but a 3+ page resume would need to be really captivating...

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 am

Or...it makes even more sense because they're I've-got-the-world-figured-out-and-I'm-the-best-at-it mid-20-something and therefore, they spout off mindless, overreaction nonsense at the drop of a hat...
Probably a person who had a ton of success in school / academics / always told destined for greatness, and now is struggling to get any job. It is a tough spot to be in, but I have some sympathy for him or her... Definitely a weird cat though that is being hit with reality and not dealing with it well.