Job and General Employment Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:03 am

Man… our sales team f*cking sucks.

Just prior to the pandemic, our sales manager left the organization. He was a former chemist, big personality, get sh*t done kind of guy. He was perfect in the role.

Upon replacement, no external candidates seemed to be a good fit so they just put the most experienced sales person in the position. She’s a very check boxes, do what she’s told but nothing except that kind of person. She then hired a few people exactly like her.

There’s no drive, there’s no ambition, they just sit and wait and hope that sales come in and complain when they don’t.

I’m technically in the R&D department, but really my job is there along with a ton of business development and marketing. I literally drag these sales people to water because they’re thirsty and the just stare at the water hoping it goes into their mouth. It’s gotten to a point where I’m going to have to have a word with leadership about it. It’s really hurting the company.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:10 am

If you schedule a meeting, and the meeting only requires 4 minutes to go over the task in question, that meeting should have been an e-mail.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:24 pm

I confirmed I am getting an offer this week. I HATE having this loyalty to current company, fear of the unknown, and just general uneasiness about having to put a notice in, etc.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:32 pm

Fear of the unknown is always common and I don't know many that don't experience that. While having loyalty isn't a problem, it shouldn't hold you back from doing something that is better for yourself.

Always bet on you. If the new job is in the field/area you want, appears to come with much less stress, and you're getting paid more / better benefits - it's a no brainer.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:37 pm

Source of the post While having loyalty isn't a problem, it shouldn't hold you back from doing something that is better for yourself.
Couldn't agree more. Based on what you've been telling us for the last year or so, your current company deserves to lose you.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:58 pm

The only thing is expected more stress, but I want to move into a senior position, and I want to do this. The loyalty stuff I have, is that while the company has been down the past two years, it's pretty strong etc. I just can't wait around to get mine, when they've ignored my requests in that time.

Also, it's out of marketing and back into IT, so it's a position that if sucks, I can take that high level IT experience anywhere, where marketing isn't as fruitful, and the higher you get, the more you're compared to ROI.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:10 pm

But I am no means potentially moving to a worse off company. It appears just as strong in its own market.

I don’t know, just that stress of the unknown, etc.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:25 pm

But that's the good kind of stress, imo, the motivating kind. Not the demoralizing kind.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:17 pm

I confirmed I am getting an offer this week. I HATE having this loyalty to current company, fear of the unknown, and just general uneasiness about having to put a notice in, etc.
I just had this conversation with someone today. I've been really struggling lately with the fact that whenever I eventually leave my current company it will be like I never even existed. And that I want to start thinking about doing something that is actually mine so that in 5 years when my child care bill goes down I can put that plan in motion.

All that to say, **** em. They won't miss you, you won't miss them.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:33 pm

Absolutely. I spent 8 years there, a blip to them and a while to me. That’s what makes me sad, I thought I’d retire there. Oh well I guess.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:36 pm

when I left my last company (it only had 100 or so employees when I joined, spent 7 years there and when I left there were like 1,500 employees) I realized it was more sadness about leaving the people than the company itself. Companies are soulless even if they pretend to care

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:57 pm

Yea that’s probably where I’m at. I love the team I manage, I’ve got a great spot, but I also can’t stay in that one spot forever.

Of course, the offer needs to work too, so we’ll see.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:42 am

I know where you are coming from Morkle. I've been with my company for 16 years. I've gotten to know a lot of people and also made what I consider friends outside of work. I enjoy what I do and certainly the people I do it with.

If I were ever to leave, that would be the hardest part. Leaving those relationships. There is also a comfort level as well. I think you'd mention above, you are leaving somewhere that you are known, and going to somewhere that is new and you will the the "new guy" no one really knows. That is uncomfortable to some. It would be for me.

Good luck though. At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:43 am

Thanks duder. I'm of the opinion now - the more I think about it, I am probably going to leave - if the offer is right.

Current company won't promote me in the same division, so I'd have to leave within the company and start new with a new BU and people. If I did that, I'd get a 10% raise.

If I leave the company, I'm looking at a 20-25% raise, and a huge bonus pool compared to current structure and I've worked with this person that would be my boss in a past career. So I know one person coming in, and that's the person I would report to - so he knows what he's getting.

Current company had a chance to keep me, and not kill my morale, it didn't happen, and while I'd be comfortable here, earning a relatively easier paycheck - that's not really what gets me through the day. I need to new challenges and to be pushed to learn, etc.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:07 pm

My boss is taking a 120 day assignment with another part of our organization, outside of our leadership chain.

I'm a lead, but not a supervisor. I make the same as him but don't have the supervisory admin duties. Kind of a cheat code. None of the leads on our team wanted to backfill his position for the 120 days. So it's going to end up being one of our analysts who will get to put some new k/s/a on their resume and get a nice little pay bump for a few months.

It should be a nice spring.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:56 pm

So I had somebody reach out to me for a new position that was fully remote. I don't remember specifically applying with this company, but for the amount of things that I have applied for, it's very possible that it could be an oversight on my part. They sent me a screening survey late Friday and I had it sent back by Tuesday. I get an email back today saying congrats and that they want to bring me onto their team. Great. Wonderful.

There are a few red flags with this:
* I never went through a formal interview. They sent me a 15 question screening survey. They say that's all they needed since they need to see how well I write and aren't so much worried about visual communication. Ummm, ok. Sure. It's been almost seven years since I last through an interview. Maybe they are looking for someone quick and they are foregoing the interview process. I mean I didn't exactly go through a lengthy interview for my current position, but I also came on under contract and eventually moved into the role as an employee.
* The HR director has zero online presence. Two common names, but not exactly John Smith. Nothing on Facebook. Nothing in general under his name for his region or his company, although I guess he could be working remotely in another section of the country. But for somebody with such a high position in the company, you would think there would be a trace of this person considering this company is big enough to have 160 stores in the NE region and has been around for decades.
* The big red flag is the domain that he is emailing me from. Their domain has been live for six days. But the position that he is mailing me about is very specific and is definitely something I would have inquired about. Is it possible that nothing is posted on that page and they are using the exchange part of the domain for HR purposes? Sure, I guess.
* The address he is using in his signature is rather vague. Street name and location checks out with the company, but no numerical address.

Some of this could be me being a little on-guard, but that domain, the lack of a real interview, and wanting to overpay me for my position (which I'm on the high side in my current role) seems very suspect.

I'm leaning towards 99.9% chance that this is some sort of scam. There was mention of sending checks for buying items for a home office, which feels like it could be the intro to a check cashing scam. But I'm still leaving that 0.1% chance that it isn't.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:09 pm

That is 100% a scam. 10000000% a scam. No legit company is going to hire you without an interview. Also them sending checks for you to buy stuff is another tips off. 100% a scam.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:10 pm

If it looks like a duck...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:13 pm

I thought I was readding a reddit post on r/ scams or something.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:20 pm

The possibility of moving to another role and going fully remote had my hopes up, but after two minutes of gathering my thoughts I kinda figured it was.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:27 pm

The possibility of moving to another role and going fully remote had my hopes up, but after two minutes of gathering my thoughts I kinda figured it was.
I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, it just seems like those kinds of posts pop up there or used to all the time (I've greatly reduced my reddit time recently)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:51 pm

They send you a check - 'pre-imbursement' - and direct you to buy from their official vendor that you have to buy from using your actual banking info. The vendor is a front; they take your real moneys for fake office supplies, the check they sent you bounces, and you never hear from them again.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:21 pm

I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, it just seems like those kinds of posts pop up there or used to all the time (I've greatly reduced my reddit time recently)
nah, didn't think that at all. you're good. :thumb:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:54 pm

My wife was offered a legit position without an interview. I told her to tell them to pound salt but she was desperate enough to keep them interested. It wasn’t a scam but they were definitely a clown shoe organization.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:01 pm

what was their profit margin on the clown shoes?