Job and General Employment Thread

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:13 pm

That's basically my life now. I have back to back meetings, and am still expected to be an individual contributor. What I get done vs. what I could get done is highly different on a daily basis.

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:27 pm

If the content is so "high gravity," the meeting should've been scheduled better. Maybe that's something that should be taken offline so we're given time to download this info and synergize with other BUs to leverage a more agile approach before we circle back on this topic.
This hurt to read

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:54 am

If the content is so "high gravity," the meeting should've been scheduled better. Maybe that's something that should be taken offline so we're given time to download this info and synergize with other BUs to leverage a more agile approach before we circle back on this topic.
This hurt to read
I don't have to deal with too much corporate speak at work, but did notice a "bio break" drop yesterday. I haven't heard that term since my WoW raiding days and had no idea it was a workplace term now :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:18 am

Video interview today - any advice on things to watch out for? I feel prepared but off of my game for a video one - as I've only ever been the one doing it, not being interviewed.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:25 am

I did like 4 of those for this last job I got. No different than any in person interview really. Try to be in a quiet, well lit space so they can see you. Test out your camera and mic before the interview to make sure they work. Maintain eye contact etc. I wore polo's for my interviews, but not sure what kind of job you are going for etc.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:27 am

Senior management, so I am rocking a full suit. It's a 60 minute panel interview with directors/senior directors. I've worked with and for directors for years, but have to say, 3 right off the top is a challenge lol.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:37 am

Yeah I thankfully didn't have all those in a row. I had my 4/5 people over the course of a week so it wasn't all at once. In any event Good luck!

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:03 am

Make sure the space you are in is either clean or "professional". ie. we did a video interview with a dude and behind him was a sink full of dirty dishes and crap all over his kitchen counter.

Fair or not, some of the interveiwers gave a hard "no" as soon as we hung up.

Outside of that, I think you are good to go.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 am

Make sure the space you are in is either clean or "professional". ie. we did a video interview with a dude and behind him was a sink full of dirty dishes and crap all over his kitchen counter.

Was it for a dish washer position?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:15 am

I don't know what your typical wfh protocol is for video calls, but I'd suggest you blur your background.

When you're talking, look at the camera not your screen. This is the virtual version of eye contact. (This is an enormous pet peeve; we're coming up on year four of this video-from-home stuff, and professional talking head types still don't know which end of their phone has the camera lens, or people spend the entirety of the time looking slightly to the right).

Test tech and frame your webcam shot/check for lighting glare ahead of time. I prefer using wired earbuds vs Bluetooth, but either way I'd refrain from using the built-in laptop or webcam mic (e.g. ambient sound).

Don't know if this is a viable option, but I'd suggest standing for the interview rather than sitting. Body language is a hard thing to communicate video video conference, and I think standing forces you into certain postures, holding your hands certain way, etc that translate better on camera.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:22 am

Source of the post Don't know if this is a viable option, but I'd suggest standing for the interview rather than sitting. Body language is a hard thing to communicate video video conference, and I think standing forces you into certain postures, holding your hands certain way, etc that translate better on camera.
Speaking as somebody who has filmed hundreds of interviews, a chair without arm rests is the best bet. Throw a pillow or yoga block behind your back to force you to sit up straight (don't lean back). Whenever I have somebody standing, their instinct is to sway and obviously that looks bad on camera.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:34 am

lol that's wild. I'm doing it from my workstation with a blurred background. Thankfully it's a teams meeting.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 am

Yea I am for sure not standing for an hour long interview with Directors lol. I would give off worse body language than sitting. It's also why I am wearing a full-suit though, in case they make a joke about being over-dressed, I can call out the whole nine yards.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:36 am

Thanks for the advice all, I used some chatGPT stuff to build interview questions based on the job description - so I feel "comfortable" going in question wise, at least have the points I want to hit on.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:00 am

Whenever I have somebody standing, their instinct is to sway and obviously that looks bad on camera.
That instinct has eluded me, but a chair without arms is certainly good if that's an option. Provided you remember to do stuff like sit on the tail of your jacket, pull your shirt tight, news anchory type stuff etc.

I have a sit-stand situation both at home and at work, so I guess I'm used to standing for a couple hours at a time.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:05 am

Whenever I have somebody standing, their instinct is to sway and obviously that looks bad on camera.
That instinct has eluded me, but a chair without arms is certainly good if that's an option. Provided you remember to do stuff like sit on the tail of your jacket, pull your shirt tight, news anchory type stuff etc.

I have a sit-stand situation both at home and at work, so I guess I'm used to standing for a couple hours at a time.
There's also the extra nerves that come from being in front of a camera with lights on you so I think a lot of times the people I'm shooting are nervously swaying/shifting. I been through it enough that I no longer give people the option of standing. You'll sit on this uncomfortable chair with this yoga block in your back and you'll like it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:31 pm

Hardest one I’ve been a part of. If nothing else it was experience with senior leadership, but that was about an average performance from me and I usually feel like I do great.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:35 pm

Hardest one I’ve been a part of. If nothing else it was experience with senior leadership, but that was about an average performance from me and I usually feel like I do great.
Good luck... Sometimes you would be surprised how differently it's perceived on the other end :thumb:

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:07 pm

You’ll get the job since you feel that way.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:20 pm

Thanks for the kind words, I felt like I had at least one press on me on questions which came across as either I wasn’t understanding what he was asking or not answering correctly.

We’ll see, I’m ok in my current position, this is a house money kind of deal. So who knows.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:14 pm

I am currently 4 weeks into my new gig because I apparently did way better in my interviews than I thought I did. So chin up, Morky Mork.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:13 am

Start my new gig with the government on Monday. Finally got my day 1 instructions - I have to bring my own device with a hotspot to do my orientation, etc. I emailed my brother (career military, retired Colonel) - his response: "Been awhile since I heard something that immediately took me back to working for Uncle Sugar, but that did it!" :lol:

In other news, BOY am I nervous.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:20 am

Something similar happened to me when I started in the federal building. I checked in the Monday after Thanksgiving, which was the first day of hunting back then. Nobody there. I brought my own laptop and just did trainings until someone showed up to train me later in the week.

Did you see that OPM just put out a new rule saying we're not allowed to match the pay of incoming professionals based on their private sector earnings? You got in right in time.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:23 am

I did see that. I didn't even try to pay match this time since the last time that was a hard no. I cared more about the time off, which they also hard no-ed me on. :) However, I did get a recruitment bonus out of the blue a couple weeks back. $30k over 3 years. I'll take it.

My instructions at least did have a manager name on it with a schedule for the first few days. Only day 1 seems to be full - Tuesday and Wednesday just have benefits presentations from 1-3.

Wonder how long it will take to actually get a laptop? I'm keeping my expectations low.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:17 pm

We've narrowed down a search to four candidates. Three internal candidates, which is fine, but I got a bounceback because they used their work email for the application...and no longer work here, 3 weeks after applying for the job.

Personally, I would never use a work email for applying to other jobs, but I think they made it clear to their superiors that they were actively looking for another position.

I've texted them, so we'll see...but I don't think I need to hunt them down beyond that. I could ask their campus supervisors for forwarding email/info...but how far do I need to go?