Job and General Employment Thread

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:43 pm

guy that cooks breakfast at 2am at the strip clubs?
I have better things to do with sausage there than cook it.
Fine, I’ll do it since nobody else did

:lol:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:26 pm

My gfs company's auditor worked at Enron. Like, if you're an accountant you just don't put that on your resume right? Lol

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:00 pm

It’s been 20 years. That can slide off the resume at any point here.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:30 pm

My gfs company's auditor worked at Enron. Like, if you're an accountant you just don't put that on your resume right? Lol
Expert in Mark to Market accounting.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:33 pm

3 day weekend coming up cause MLK day is Monday. Nice!

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:52 pm

Received a call from my old boss about doing some work for the client who wouldn't pay for my time which led to being laid off. It was a numbers game he said. Yeah, and you chose me to be that number. Now the client wants more work done and he is trying to hand off the client to me. Maybe 5 hours a month. To be honest I'm not inclined to do it. I saved/invested a lot of moola since I was sick six years ago and have lived a spartan life (no gf's, no new cars, no big vacations, rarely eat out) to save in case I couldn't work again that it's not worth it to me to help them. They made their bed and can lie in it.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:55 pm

Received a call from my old boss about doing some work for the client who wouldn't pay for my time which led to being laid off. It was a numbers game he said. Yeah, and you chose me to be that number. Now the client wants more work done and he is trying to hand off the client to me. Maybe 5 hours a month. To be honest I'm not inclined to do it. I saved/invested a lot of moola since I was sick six years ago and have lived a spartan life (no gf's, no new cars, no big vacations, rarely eat out) to save in case I couldn't work again that it's not worth it to me to help them. They made their bed and can lie in it.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Tell em to F off.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:03 pm

I'd like to especially after the concerned message he left on my phone only to bring up the client when I called him back but I don't want to burn any bridges. The world I work in is very small.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:06 pm

When I get what you owe me, I'll think about it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:17 pm

They don't owe me anything. When I said they wouldn't pay for my time I meant paying for my time full time as support/programming.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:29 pm

They don't owe me anything. When I said they wouldn't pay for my time I meant paying for my time full time as support/programming.
You also owe them nothing. They laid you off. Your professional relationship is done. Offer to go back as a consultant for at least double what you made.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:29 pm

They owe you a reason to believe they'll pay you now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:33 pm

Source of the post They made their bed and can lie in it.
Hell yeah, faf.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:13 pm

What part of “my work day ends at 4:00pm” is difficult to understand?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:23 pm

Expectations of leadership to be available during normal business hours to provide guidance and direction as needed?

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:38 pm

Welp, turned in my resignation this morning. It was awkward and awful, but I did it. Boss was, as expected, surprised. Stunned would be a better term, actually. I found it really interesting that he immediately went to "I wouldn't have been able to jump into this role as successfully without you. I know I've been bad at thanking you for all that you do." Uh huh. Yeah. You know exactly why I'm leaving.

Oddest moment? He asks, "So do you think your new role will be a good one? Something that's good for you?" No Jack, it seems like it's going to be awful, that's why I took it. I mean, what do you say there? I don't know if that was a feeble attempt at gauging my interest in a counteroffer, but it sure was strange.

It's been 4 hours since we spoke and the only things I've heard since are 1) make a list of every single thing I do, when it's due, and who I work with on these tasks and, better yet, 2) if I'm aware that due to my last day being in 2 weeks that I won't be eligible for the yearly bonus paid out in March. Come on, man.

I let him tell the SVP who I have worked with previously. Surprised I haven't heard from him yet, but it is what it is.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:42 pm

Good to have the band-aid ripped off, at least. Good job going through with it and looking out for yourself.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:47 pm

Source of the post my last day being in 2 weeks
Glad to see that you didn't gift them an extra week. :thumb:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:02 pm

Expectations of leadership to be available during normal business hours to provide guidance and direction as needed?
You should try to grab one of the 60 hours I’m in the office for

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:55 pm

.....due to my last day being in 2 weeks that I won't be eligible for the yearly bonus paid out in March. Come on, man.
I've shared this before, but given your experience I'll re-post.

When I was let go from PlayStation my last day was March 23rd or something. If I had been "on the roster" through March 31st, I would've been due a 5-figure bonus. It was a nice way to cap off that year of awfulness, swift kick to the ding ding.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:01 pm

I'd like to especially after the concerned message he left on my phone only to bring up the client when I called him back but I don't want to burn any bridges. The world I work in is very small.
See I would name an obscene price before I tell em to F off. 5 hours a week, seems to be worth at least $1k.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:44 pm

See I would name an obscene price before I tell em to F off. 5 hours a week, seems to be worth at least $1k.
He said they wouldn't pay me meaning they were offering the client's work to me.

No thanks, you can deal with them now.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:43 am

Oh yeah then instant f off

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:15 am

He said they wouldn't pay me meaning they were offering the client's work to me.

No thanks, you can deal with them now.
I am amazed that people still think/act like this when it comes to talking to past employees. That's ridiculous.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:52 am

If someone applies for a job and uses an AOL email, that's an instant no, correct? (I'm only sort of kidding)

We have a tech heavy job opening (lots of Excel manipulations, online platform interfacing etc) and having an AOL email address screams you aren't tech savvy. IMO.