Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:51 pm

First in-person meet up at my new job with my entire team (entire division is flying into St. Louis for this event). in September. Travel day Tuesday, meeting on Wednesday, travel day Thursday. Kinda dumb to spend all of this money for a single day, but whatever, basically two free days for me. I was hoping that they'd plan something fun for Wednesday night, but instead they're going to the Cardinals/Brewers game. Hard pass. I'll spend that time finding BBQ with a few others.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:52 pm

At least you have some super fun ice breaker games to look forward to.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:03 pm

my company has flown me to Chicago for literally one day before. It’s amazing at how much they spend on dumb ****

that said, I actively look for sporting events when I travel. Def would go to a Cardinals game

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:04 pm

I've asked about this, and apparently they don't do stupid **** like this, so here's hoping.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:07 pm

I've asked about this, and apparently they don't do stupid **** like this, so here's hoping.
Okay but when you're writing two truths and a lie I want you to think of me.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:14 pm

Our team lead wants us to go to some bar/restaurant that has live country music. I may have to kill him now.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:14 pm

Probably could throw this in the IT thread but does anyone currently use their corporate issued cell phone as a personal device too, I now have android enterprise work profile and a galaxy S23 so it would seem like I could dual Sim it with my personal sim/number and only carry one device now? I think this is probably still not a good idea but just seeing what the IT folk think

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:41 am

Probably could throw this in the IT thread but does anyone currently use their corporate issued cell phone as a personal device too, I now have android enterprise work profile and a galaxy S23 so it would seem like I could dual Sim it with my personal sim/number and only carry one device now? I think this is probably still not a good idea but just seeing what the IT folk think
I am not an IT person but this seems like a recklessly bad idea.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:13 am

I am an IT person and I agree lol.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:33 am

Carrying 2 phones is dumb. I’d do it.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:37 am

Two phones is dumb. But my personal doubles as a work phone in my case, and they pay me a stipend. Free money!

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:44 am

I'd just never want to have my personal phone used for work reasons in general, even swapping SIM cards out. If I was on call all the time or something maybe I might think differently, but I keep work and personal completely separate in general.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:46 am

My work phone stays at the office where it belongs...

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:46 am

I technically am on call, even if I rarely get anything after 3pm. It's still preferable to me - I had two phones at my last job and it was annoying.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:48 am

I went 8 years doubling the work phone with personal. Recently decided to get my own personal phone, only because I've been searching for new jobs. Never had any issue having just one.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:49 am

Two phones is dumb. But my personal doubles as a work phone in my case, and they pay me a stipend. Free money!
this is what i do. carrying two phones is a pain imo

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:51 am

Just got notified about the timing for our lab/office move. I only go in one day a week now, so it doesn't impact me much, but the place we are currently is such a dump. Water regularly leaks and gets onto our instruments.

New office actually has windows and light coming in, so that should be nice.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:17 am

OK lol. I kind of figured? But with the dual SIM and then having a personal profile that (I'm pretty sure) the setup said "your IT administrator can't access data in the personal profile" made me think about it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:19 am

Also I have no qualms over always having the work phone with me because I can set boundaries and have a supportive boss lol

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:23 am

OK lol. I kind of figured? But with the dual SIM and then having a personal profile that (I'm pretty sure) the setup said "your IT administrator can't access data in the personal profile" made me think about it.
I don't think there is any real danger per se, it's just not something I would do personally. I keep personal and work completely separate. Ethically and legally they shouldn't be accessing anything on your personal profile, but who really knows. Companies can be dadholes sometimes haha.

I'm not on call though or anything. Others felt differently.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:25 am

I declined a work phone. Works for me.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:43 am

I have a work phone. I use it for emails and outgoing calls only.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:45 am

It's mainly because it's a much nicer phone than what I am willing to buy for myself lol

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:29 pm

This new CEO thing is not working out. Just because you yell random dates and times for things to be done, doesn't mean that they magically get done at that time. Being loud isn't really leadership, ya yutz...
Someone high up that I trust gave me a cell phone ring last night and was like, "This guy is dead set on 'blowing things up' here across all departments...I don't know what it means, but he's really not taking input from seemingly anyone...given that you guys haven't really had a positive interaction - which isn't your fault, but you know what I mean - you might want to consider throwing out some applications just to prepare yourself, I'm even brushing up my resume, because I don't know what he's thinking..."

My first reaction was to chuckle and just go, "They'd be so f'd...but yeah, I appreciate the heads up..."

Since, to date, this guy has only talked to me one on one for 12 and a half minutes since he's been here and I'm certainly one of the top 10 most important people/needle movers in the company, I don't have a lot of trust in what this guy could do...they legit just laid off someone out of nowhere who was with the company for the company's ENTIRE existence...first person the owner/(former) CEO hired 40 years ago...I guess there's no sacred cows...so I'm gonna start looking around, I don't need to be told twice haha
Updating this post (among a couple) from three months ago...I got invited to a meeting last night (6 pm meeting, got the invite at 4ish pm same day...not amazing on either count), asking for help on preparing for a presentation tomorrow (Friday) morning from the CEO...

Instead meeting was to inform me that they want me to be part of the senior leadership team of the company now...

hahaha yeah, ok...sure. I must have made a hell of an impression when I was in the office six or eight weeks ago...what a weird place. I didn't accept it yet, I said, I want some more details about this...but basically, the new CEO and CFO are dumping the kids into the ol' "advisory" and "special projects" realm...but no offices for them, no day to day hands on operations, never thought I'd see the day...

We'll see...but going from likely getting my head chopped off to a senior leadership position in about a quarter is some John Elway "The Drive" **** haha
Last week or so, the CEO set up a meeting on a Friday during lunch for this new management team to meet with him about some stuff. He gave us a weird worksheet that was clearly made with chatGPT, and it talked about our goals from first half, and plans for the second half. Which would be fine and all, but we weren't in charge in the first half of the year, he was (along with the CFO). So, anyhow, the more I read this non-specific, random document that he asked for a presentation about, the more I took it as hostile as opposed to just bland.

Anyhow, fast forward to the day of the presentation. And we have ideas, don't get me wrong, and we've been putting them on paper and implementing them...but the presentation itself is silly because it doesn't speak to what our situation is right now as a company. There are five members on this senior leadership team. One of which is the sales guy who had informed everyone that he can't make that date because he's away on a sales mission. And our head of IT badly injured both of his knees on vacation, and had a doctor's appointment. But there's overlap between him and I and we had slides and were prepared to present.

So, the three of us and our CEO and our CFO get together at 1 pm that day. Hothead CEO re-learns that two members can't make it. He gets up and storms out and on his way out goes, "this was the most important thing on your calendar...even more important than [huge client issue 1] and [huge client issue 2]..."

I showed great restraint my waving my hand at my camera in a dismissive way and hanging up.

Anyhow, my CFO calls me later that day (she is much more even keeled) and I read her the riot act about hothead CEO's behavior and how it's worsening. And I told a couple people that while this doesn't seem like much, I have a feeling it's going to be like Howard Dean's thing in 2008 when he went, "...and we're going to Utah, and we're going to New Mexico, and then we're going all the way to the White House...BYAH!" and then we made fun of him for a week and never heard from him again.

Today, hothead CEO was let go. Not without threatening some folks on his way out and being a petulant child in the process. But just like that he's gone...

I imagine the owner brings his kids back after effectively firing them 10 months ago...but we'll see how it goes. But one less walk-on-eggshells guy to deal with is always nice...

What a ride.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:42 pm

Some years ago my company went to BYOD and stopped providing corporate phones. You can expense $50 a month for it, which I did for a while. When I got my new phone I was like- I'll put Outlook and Teams on it but if you're not providing the phone, I'm not putting your VPN and **** on it. Keep your $50. Phone calls cost nothing now so sure, call or text me anytime but I'm not putting some standard canned scripted greeting on it saying what company I'm with.

So far so good.