Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby meow » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:30 pm

:lol:

Totally forgot about that

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:05 pm

First post I see on LinkedIn this morning was someone wishing their boss a happy birthday MONTH... Like what!? That takes brown nosing to a whole new level

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:28 am

First post I see on LinkedIn this morning was someone wishing their boss a happy birthday MONTH... Like what!? That takes brown nosing to a whole new level
At least it wasn't a year.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:51 pm

https://fortune.com/2023/03/05/nyc-work ... ffice/amp/
NYC super-commuters travel up to 5 hours round-trip to the office. They say it’s worth it

Three NYC workers who super-commute 90-plus minutes from the office describe their routine—and what keeps them going back.

But super-commuting isn’t without its aggravations

There’s something to be said for a commute that doesn’t involve driving, which all three workers have. Psychologists refer to a person’s time in transit as a liminal space, a period in which one can detach and recover from work without yet taking on their role at home. This was lost during the pandemic, leading to role blurring and increased worker stress. Just ask Crandall, who says she used to have a “relaxing” commute, which allowed her to read a ton of books and watch movies on her iPad.

But the pandemic has soured the experience for her. One would think a hybrid super-commute would be more manageable than the five-day one she’s familiar with, but it feels worse for Crandall after dealing with no commute during remote work.

“I spent almost three years not commuting, and I realized how badly it’s screwed with my life,” she says, admitting she’ll sometimes call in sick on days she feels she can’t handle it. “I try to go in on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday just to get it over with. But now I hit Wednesday night and I’m just done.” It doesn’t help that her train ride has only gotten longer as the NJTransit added more stops during the pandemic, curtailing its express service.

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahahahaha

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:22 am

What am I missing

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:31 am

Super-commuting is a rite of passage
lol, what a schmuck. Enjoy your shitty life, losers.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:38 am

These people are lazy and relish their unproductive time during their lengthy commute. They are falsely revered as go-getters because they voluntarily battle the masses to come into the office when in reality, they just enjoy watching a bum finger his own butthole on a subway everyday. Shame.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:52 am

"Look at me, I waste 5 hours of my life commuting to work when I could just be working from home. Isn't that awesome!?"

I'd **** kill myself if I had a commute longer than an hour, much less 2.5 hours each way.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:32 am

Years ago, I was on a search committee for a history faculty position. We interviewed a PhD from NJ, who was adjuncting at 3 different universities in the NY/NJ/CT area. This was years before COVID and only some of it was online. He would teach an 8 am World History class near where he lived in NJ, then drive into Long Island to teach a similar class, then drive home again. Or a similar schedule in CT and NY. It sounded like hell, tbh.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:09 am

I love all these articles that have been released.

News at 11: Different people like different things when it come to work and if its WFH, in office, hybrid or apparently 5 hours of commuting (new one for me but whatever). The companies that will thrive are the ones who will accommodate the true talent.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:17 am

I started collecting information for my wife's Philly wage tax refund, when I noticed this verbiage in the requirements section from her work:
-Were REQUIRED to work outside of the City - not as a convenience for the employee Note that employees were not required to work remotely during calendar year 2022
So even though this is a stipulation that her company itself is posing, she may not be able to file for a city wage tax refund. Pretty sure this is still technically illegal, as she paid higher wage taxes than she should have, and I told her to talk to her director first. If he signs off on it, no issues. Just seems shitty that her work is trying to prevent this from happening.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:16 am

Yeah that is definitely shady NTP.

Well, I've applied for 12 jobs in the last couple of days...officially jumping into the water. I am in the strange situation of being headhunted for my last two jobs. The last time I applied for a job, went through the normal process, and was hired was in 2007. Forgot how annoying it was. :lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:25 am

Yeah that is definitely shady NTP.

Well, I've applied for 12 jobs in the last couple of days...officially jumping into the water. I am in the strange situation of being headhunted for my last two jobs. The last time I applied for a job, went through the normal process, and was hired was in 2007. Forgot how annoying it was. :lol:
Good luck shad! Hopefully you land something that works out well.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:17 pm

Shad, if you want to uproot your whole family and move near me, we have an HR position open. It'll be fun, I promise...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:18 pm

Any chance there is a spot for Shaf and Ms. Shaf?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:31 pm

Mrs. Shaf doesn't need a career. Psh...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:31 pm

Oh. I thought you had to be married to someone else in the company to work in HR at your place.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:38 pm

No no no no... you got it all wrong. The HR person got hired FIRST and then the IT dude got hired after that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:44 pm

:thumb:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:47 pm

:lol:

Tbh I would love to live up your way. We are locked into Gap, PA until 2041 at a minimum in all likelihood.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:06 pm

When they say mortgage means 'death agreement', it is one of those things that is technically accurate but not actually how the thing works in practice.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:54 am

I started collecting information for my wife's Philly wage tax refund, when I noticed this verbiage in the requirements section from her work:
-Were REQUIRED to work outside of the City - not as a convenience for the employee Note that employees were not required to work remotely during calendar year 2022
So even though this is a stipulation that her company itself is posing, she may not be able to file for a city wage tax refund. Pretty sure this is still technically illegal, as she paid higher wage taxes than she should have, and I told her to talk to her director first. If he signs off on it, no issues. Just seems shitty that her work is trying to prevent this from happening.
Her CIO confirmed this just now - they will not be signing any city wage tax refund documentation unless you were required to work remotely in 2022, which is just a very small number of people. They're definitely doing it to help out the city, as they don't want to lose that wage tax income. He did say that they're trying to come up with an alternate solution to get folks some money back, possibly in the form of a bonus. Doubt it would amount to what she was getting (~$3800), but anything is better than nothing I guess.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:25 am

Got my bonus and raise info today. As expected it was not great since the company did awful last year and laid a bunch of people off. The only reason I got any bonus was because of my performance, the other targets that go into the performance were both at 0% because of how the company did.

Glad to still have a job at this point though, and told my boss as much. I know he gets lots of people venting at him even though he is just the messenger. The huge raise I got last year as a "market adjustment" also helped soften the blow.

Oh well just gonna keep doing what I do and chugging along.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:34 am

We got 1/2 of target for our bonuses and people are coming out with the pitchforks.