Job and General Employment Thread

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:20 pm

Something everyone is signing or your raise gets withheld...

My company has a lot of bad (and well-earned) reviews on Glassdoor and stuff. So, rather than try to make it a better place to work...they just make you sign a document that says that you won't write something negative. I imagine that after my termination, this document won't be valid anyhow...but sure...I won't make fun of your wee-wee on TV or whatever...

I believe you work in New York? I took a quick look at our restrictive covenant manual. The non-disparagement clause is most likely valid and enforceable, and it would be even if they fire you. It's a valid contract.

Did it include other terms, such as a non-competition clause or restrictions on working for competitors?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:07 am

Company is based in PA. I live in NYC.

But regardless, I left a review for the company a couple years ago before I signed this doc. It wasn't very good haha

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:00 pm

It would probably be a valid and enforceable contract in PA as well.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:39 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:05 am

I got two last minute meeting requests for this morning and a request to change an 11 o'clock meeting to noon...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:26 am

Considering the market caps and valuations on these companies is all just fairy dust, I wouldn’t thing about it. Facebook’s value also declined an amount that’s greater than the gdps of most countries leading to this reversal.

Lots of people who need somewhere to park their money are betting on some sims type economy that is going to be created by meta, they’ll keep that vision/dream alive until they don’t.

I still can’t fathom what the actual world has to look like before we enter the meta verse hellscape, but our current tech overlords all grew up on the matrix as opposed to Asimov, so that’s the subconscious drive propelling us that way

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:23 pm

Hey morkle, I'd love to talk to you about this great contract to hire opportunity!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:24 pm

Something everyone is signing or your raise gets withheld...

My company has a lot of bad (and well-earned) reviews on Glassdoor and stuff. So, rather than try to make it a better place to work...they just make you sign a document that says that you won't write something negative. I imagine that after my termination, this document won't be valid anyhow...but sure...I won't make fun of your wee-wee on TV or whatever...

I believe you work in New York? I took a quick look at our restrictive covenant manual. The non-disparagement clause is most likely valid and enforceable, and it would be even if they fire you. It's a valid contract.

Did it include other terms, such as a non-competition clause or restrictions on working for competitors?
Realistically, what are the consequences for violating non-disparagement/non-compete clauses? Monetary damages (like forfeiture of severance)+attorney's fees? I imagine it's a function of the specific details of the agreement (penalties, jurisdiction, etc) rather than a statutory thing, but I've never run up against one.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:05 pm

Hey morkle, I'd love to talk to you about this great contract to hire opportunity!

Without hesitation.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:49 pm

Yea LinkedIn person, let me leave my already desirable FTE job at a good company to take a risk for a contract to hire opportunity lol.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:54 pm

Considering the market caps and valuations on these companies is all just fairy dust, I wouldn’t thing about it. Facebook’s value also declined an amount that’s greater than the gdps of most countries leading to this reversal.

Lots of people who need somewhere to park their money are betting on some sims type economy that is going to be created by meta, they’ll keep that vision/dream alive until they don’t.

I still can’t fathom what the actual world has to look like before we enter the meta verse hellscape, but our current tech overlords all grew up on the matrix as opposed to Asimov, so that’s the subconscious drive propelling us that way
Market caps and stock valuations are complete and utter bullshit, but as long as they're used as an indicator of company success AND have executive compensation tied to those metrics, people will continue to get **** over in favor of inflating meaningless metrics.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:56 pm

Yea LinkedIn person, let me leave my already desirable FTE job at a good company to take a risk for a contract to hire opportunity lol.
These are honestly rare for me, and on the flip side, I still continue to get a handful of full time WFH postings (via LinkedIn) every single week. There is no shortage of tech jobs out there, not even close.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:35 pm

Realistically, what are the consequences for violating non-disparagement/non-compete clauses? Monetary damages (like forfeiture of severance)+attorney's fees? I imagine it's a function of the specific details of the agreement (penalties, jurisdiction, etc) rather than a statutory thing, but I've never run up against one.

Pretty much those, yes. Money damages and attorneys’ fees are the main remedies. There may also be injunctive relief available. You’ve probably never seen one because, IIRC, restrictive covenants are basically illegal as against public policy under California law except in connection with the sale of a business. So one of the ways to get around a restrictive covenant is to move to California, because California courts will almost always refuse to enforce them.

The Federal Trade Commission proposed a rule a couple weeks ago that would make all restrictive covenants a prohibited trade practice under the FTC Act and negate all current restrictive covenants. I think there are some serious “major questions doctrine” issues with that proposed rule, and I’m not sure it would ever go into effect, but boy would that make waves in the business-law community.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:01 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/07/tech/zoo ... index.html

Zoom now cutting 15% of it's workforce. CEO is taking a 98% paycut and foregoing FY23 bonus. Other leadership is taking a 20% paycut.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:41 pm

I went into the office today for the first time in forever. Drove in around lunch, had lunch with a co-worker then had a quick meeting with some architects. Nice seeing a few people again, but I'm good now for at least another 6-12 months. Driving in and back even during non peak traffic was awful.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:42 pm

I await the inevitable and inaccurate “tech jobs are in peril” tweet/comment any second now.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm

I had a training due today, and completely forgot about it. I was doing it around 5:15 and got a message from my boss saying to complete it. I know he's just doing his job but it looks bad on me that he has to babysit it. Now I'm irritated at myself about forgetting the trainings lol

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:09 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/07/tech/zoo ... index.html

Zoom now cutting 15% of it's workforce. CEO is taking a 98% paycut and foregoing FY23 bonus. Other leadership is taking a 20% paycut.
I mean what do zoom employees do? Has their app changed at all in the past 2 years because if so I haven't noticed lol

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:09 pm

Re: training, I disagree. If I’ve forgotten to complete it on time, I’ve been busy doing actual work. My boss knows this and it’s not an issue.

Re: Zoom, they expanded a lot during covid, and I imagine probably too much.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:13 pm

Re: training, I disagree. If I’ve forgotten to complete it on time, I’ve been busy doing actual work. My boss knows this and it’s not an issue.

Re: Zoom, they expanded a lot during covid, and I imagine probably too much.
All of these companies laying off people overexpanded and this is the correction.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:17 pm

All of them? That’s a stretch.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:34 pm

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:25 pm

All of them? That’s a stretch.
Which haven't? All I know about is the big tech companies like Amazons, Facebook, now Zoom.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:43 pm

Lol, and then there’s this: https://ycharts.com/companies/ZM/stock_buyback
Zoom raised about $2 billion in a stock issuance back in 2021. At that time the price was $350 a share.

Since then, zoom really hasn't done anything with that $2 billion, which in a way has looked like a smart move considering the stupidly high prices for tech "companies" during the pandemic.

I'm a guy that is very wary of stock buybacks, but zoom is now $80 a share. It makes sense in their case to repurchase shares.

They actually seem to make money and keep money, unlike the spendthrifts at places like spotify, which earns $1 then spends $1.50 on content.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:12 pm