Job and General Employment Thread

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:05 pm

He's a Libertarian that hates that workers might have leverage.

Admittedly, I don't think employees have some sort of right to have a say in the running of the business. That doesn't mean they don't have leverage. Employees have leverage when they are not easily replaceable. But the more unemployed people there are in the same industry, the more replaceable employees are.

My perspective is probably also heavily influenced by the fact that I come from an industry where the plum big-firm jobs that pay a lot are heavily competitive, and there's a line of law-school grads who at any given moment would probably shiv each other in the kidneys if it meant landing a job at places like Cravath or Skadden or Akin Gump or Kirkland & Ellis.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:08 pm

90% of the jobs that hit my inbox every week on LinkedIn are full time WFH, and that has been the case for the last year or so. The ones that aren’t, are at least hybrid. But sure, continue to believe that workers have no leverage.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:09 pm

The tech industry is a completely different situation than what you do for a living.

Polar opposites.
This will probably sound unsurprising and annoying but I've crafted my career in cyber policy to be as close to lawyering as I can. You can say that information management isn't in the tech industry but I think that's disingenuous. I assume the scope of your comment means you're referring to devs, techs, and engineers.
You would be correct on your assumption with your last sentence. I was referring to devs/techs/engineers specifically.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:10 pm

90% of the jobs that hit my inbox every week on LinkedIn are full time WFH, and that has been the case for the last year or so. The ones that aren’t, are at least hybrid. But sure, continue to believe that workers have no leverage.
Same with me all the stuff I get on LinkedIn is all either full remote or hybrid at the very least. Maybe 5% is on site...and that's being generous.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:12 pm

I also laugh at the assumption that these layoffs are all tech workers.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:23 pm

A recent study I read showed that chunk of the saved commute time for WFH is put towards.......work. So, why CEOs would want to take that away is beyond me...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:24 pm

A recent study I read showed that chunk of the saved commute time for WFH is put towards.......work. So, why CEOs would want to take that away is beyond me...
It's about control and micromanaging....and some are just old dinosaurs that refuse to adapt.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:24 pm

I don't believe in dinosaurs.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:25 pm

Can confirm that study. Literally everyone I know who works from home full time has no issue putting in extra time, which is a stark contrast from the past.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm

I'm doing it literally right now. Like I'd stay in the office until 6pm to watch people do FireMon checks. :lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:33 pm

The tech industry is a completely different situation than what you do for a living.

Polar opposites.
This will probably sound unsurprising and annoying but I've crafted my career in cyber policy to be as close to lawyering as I can. You can say that information management isn't in the tech industry but I think that's disingenuous. I assume the scope of your comment means you're referring to devs, techs, and engineers.
I like how you differentiated devs and engineers. There isn’t really a difference between the two other than engineers have a dumb certification

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:34 pm

Engineers are better at explaining why they can't achieve compliance than developers.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:38 pm

Can confirm that study. Literally everyone I know who works from home full time has no issue putting in extra time, which is a stark contrast from the past.
100%. I'd say I'm probably, on average, an hour a day more than when I was in office. In office, out the door at 4:55 pm, never thought about my job again until I strolled in at 8:43 am or whenever I got around to it.

Now, even if I go to the gym for an hour or something midday, I'm still putting in more time...by a lot.

Also, sometimes I think of something or a good idea for something and I just open my laptop and take five minutes and not forget about it...

And, especially in the tech world, the office is so distracting...people coming over to your desk "ummm, excuse me...my mouse battery died...who do I..." GO **** YOUR MOTHER...my .NET developer does not carry AA batteries on him for you, you c*ck...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:39 pm

:lol:

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:21 pm

My wife's company goes back 5 days a week (from 2-1/2) in March. They are instantly going to lose the new mom in her department, then probably the one who is pregnant, so they'll be down 2/5 of her team.

They don't seem fazed.

Selfishly, it's a PITA because when littlest Franchise has to stay after school for musical practice now and soccer in the fall, bus duty is on me. When I'm out of town, who the eff knows how we will handle it. She's going to have to get them to let her go early, or the kid's going to need to find a friend or two who drive till she gets her license, maybe this time next year.

Not sure how we did this before COVID.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:35 pm

Yup. Virtually everyone that is a peer or one level above or below me does this. As a division (roughly 1,000 people), our productivity is up nearly 15% compared to 2019 levels.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:20 pm

I like the hybrid we have now. It's a good balance for the finance/accounting group. We have a cadence now where majority go in Tuesday and Thursday, but we are flexible with the days. But what's nice is the days I'm home. I hop on at like 7, check emails etc, then jump off to kid the kids out the door for like 20 minutes and then I'm back on. Same in the evening. Get dinner ready help kids with homework and then get some work done. In the past, that would all be commute time and rushing to get the kids to before and after school care.

Every situation is different though. Both at home and at work. I'm fortunate my kids are a little older now too. So that helps. But having the hybrid and flexibility is a plus.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:38 pm

I like the hybrid we have now. It's a good balance for the finance/accounting group. We have a cadence now where majority go in Tuesday and Thursday, but we are flexible with the days. But what's nice is the days I'm home. I hop on at like 7, check emails etc, then jump off to kid the kids out the door for like 20 minutes and then I'm back on. Same in the evening. Get dinner ready help kids with homework and then get some work done. In the past, that would all be commute time and rushing to get the kids to before and after school care.

Every situation is different though. Both at home and at work. I'm fortunate my kids are a little older now too. So that helps. But having the hybrid and flexibility is a plus.
Slacker, get back in the office 5 days a week.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:39 pm

On days when I'm just not firing on all cylinders, whether or not I'm in the office, I'm going to get the same amount of work done. It's just, in the office I'm scrolling FAF for 3 hours, and at home I may be mowing the grass or washing the cars. Working from home has not made me any more or any less productive.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:37 am

The faculty union for PSAC schools sued the universities and has apparently won regarding retrenchment from 2 years ago. Now they all get backpay and are offered their old jobs back. This is going to crush universities who are already crushed.
Can you put this in laymans terms. I haven't followed this at all.
A bunch of professors got laid off two years ago across PA state universities. They sued. They won. They get their backpay and are offered their jobs back.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:45 pm

In related news, tuition just went up $1500 per semester lol

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:19 am

People that have GIFs in their signatures can cram it with acorns

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:52 am

Starting replying to their emails with your own gifs in your signature

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:58 am

He can't a gif in his signature because it would clash with his existing Outlook theme of daisies and other flowers.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:06 am

It’s the fairy theme thank you very much