Grammar thread?

mikey

Grammar thread?

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:22 pm

That POS Microsoft Word constantly corrects my writing. Now it wants me to remove comma before "but" in:

These results suggest that deals involving bidders socially connected to their financial advisors are more likely to be completed, but are executed in a less efficient and timely manner.

a) Is that f'in software right?
b) If yes, is there a rule on when to put comma before "but" (in my old language comma goes there every time, because it is considered a natural break in the sentence).

Thanks!
I only put a comma if your conjunction ("but") is joining two independent clauses. It's not obvious to me that you're doing that here. I also initially read the sentence without a pause there naturally.

It also doesn't matter very much, as it's not impactful. But I'll go with "a", as being narrowly correct...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Grammar thread?

Postby meow » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:08 pm

Testing:

meow and mikey are pains in the ass

Yes that's the one
Your face is a pains in the asses

willeyeam

Grammar thread?

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:00 pm

I don't think that checks out

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Grammar thread?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:13 pm

more like a pleasure in the asses

mikey

Grammar thread?

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:26 pm

The word you're looking for is fissure...

Shyster

Grammar thread?

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:14 pm

That POS Microsoft Word constantly corrects my writing. Now it wants me to remove comma before "but" in:

These results suggest that deals involving bidders socially connected to their financial advisors are more likely to be completed, but are executed in a less efficient and timely manner.

b) If yes, is there a rule on when to put comma before "but" (in my old language comma goes there every time, because it is considered a natural break in the sentence).

Thanks!
I only put a comma if your conjunction ("but") is joining two independent clauses. It's not obvious to me that you're doing that here. I also initially read the sentence without a pause there naturally.
Concur. In that sentence, the but is not introducing something that would stand on its own as a separate sentence, so there is no need for a comma. I also agree that when I read the sentence, I do not insert a pause before the "but." Now, if the second clause were "but they are executed in a less efficient and timely manner," then there would be a comma before the "but."

Tomas

Grammar thread?

Postby Tomas » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:14 pm

Thanks!
Concur. In that sentence, the but is not introducing something that would stand on its own as a separate sentence, so there is no need for a comma. I also agree that when I read the sentence, I do not insert a pause before the "but." Now, if the second clause were "but they are executed in a less efficient and timely manner," then there would be a comma before the "but."
Thanks to both you and @mikey . Learning something new even after 27 years in this country. My problem is that in Czech, you always have to pause before "but" no matter what (including the sentence I originally asked about).

Just to make sure - so any time I omit the noun ("they" or "deal") - no comma. But if I put

but they are executed in a less efficient and timely manner. or
but such deals re executed in a less efficient and timely manner.

then always comma?

Either way, the study is about to be submitted to a journal without the comma. :)

Ultimately, the above is yet another reason why our 2 American daughters (7 and 5) have recently found a lot of pleasure in correcting pronunciation and grammar of their Czech father and Bulgarian mother...

Shyster

Grammar thread?

Postby Shyster » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:36 pm

Correct. No comma when the subject is omitted from the second clause. A comma before the conjunction is used when the conjunction (words such as and, but, for, yet, so, or, although, and nevertheless) joins two clauses that each can be a stand-alone sentence because each contains both a subject and a verb. A way of checking can be to eliminate the conjunction and look at each clause by itself. If both clauses are themselves complete sentences, then use a comma. If one of them is just a fragment, however, then no comma is necessary.

A good general reference for stuff like this is The Chicago Guide to Grammar, Usage, and Punctuation by Bryan Garner. As the title suggests, it's an all-in-one book on grammar and punctuation and has a chapter on word-usage and easily-confused words. It even has a chapter on diagramming sentences. Might be something handy to have around both for you and for the kids as they go through school.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Grammar thread?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:57 pm

Tomas what’s the biggest grammatical difference between Czech and English you’ve found?

Tomas

Grammar thread?

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:16 pm

I generally don't care if my writing has some grammar errors, but this one is an exception:

My retired colleague just died. I liked him a lot, he was a good friend, and I think I need to send an email/post about him (because he retired 10 years ago, there aren't that many who knew him as good as I did).

Anyway, I don't want to end

"He will be missed (dearly?, greatly?)" - because that's passive and not personal.

So, is

"I will miss him...a lot/dearly/greatly" reasonably standard?

If yes, is any of the "I will miss him..." version better than the others?

meow

Grammar thread?

Postby meow » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:18 pm

I will dearly miss him

mikey

Grammar thread?

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:39 pm

Of course, smooth brain meow split the infinitive there.

I will miss him dearly
I will miss him greatly

Shyster

Grammar thread?

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:34 pm

In this context, I would write it as you would say it. Speak freely and from the heart. Bugger the grammar.

The no-split “rule” for infinitives is no rule at all. It began as a effort by early English grammarians to make English like Latin, in which the infinitive is a single word and is therefore unsplittable. So they declared that if you can’t split infinitives in Latin, they then you mustn’t in English. But English isn’t Latin; English is a more flexible language with more ways place adverbs to create desired tone and emphasis. Same thing with the "rules" about not ending sentences with prepositions and not starting sentences with conjunctions. None of them are real.

mikey

Grammar thread?

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:35 pm

Hmph, interesting. TIL.

meow

Grammar thread?

Postby meow » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:47 pm

who's the smooth brain now, ya mutant?

King Colby

Grammar thread?

Postby King Colby » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:52 pm

I generally don't care if my writing has some grammar errors, but this one is an exception:

My retired colleague just died. I liked him a lot, he was a good friend, and I think I need to send an email/post about him (because he retired 10 years ago, there aren't that many who knew him as good as I did).

Anyway, I don't want to end

"He will be missed (dearly?, greatly?)" - because that's passive and not personal.

So, is

"I will miss him...a lot/dearly/greatly" reasonably standard?

If yes, is any of the "I will miss him..." version better than the others?
Sorry for your loss.

"I will miss him dearly"
There aren't that many who knew him as well as I did :pop:

mikey

Grammar thread?

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:20 pm

who's the smooth brain now, ya mutant?
Still you, **** wit. I know Latin rules too apparently, asinus.

Tomas

Grammar thread?

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:56 pm

Thank you all. Until today I had no idea that "no split rule for infinitives" existed (I followed that rule, but...)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Grammar thread?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:11 am

as it comes to adjectives and adverbs, I feel like English is relatively straightforward. Not sure what Czech is like but I know in French, specifically, adjectives come after the noun except in “BANGS” cases (Beauty, Age, Number, Goodness and Size). for example you’d say “il est un grand auto” (“it is a big car”) but also “il est un auto rouge” (“it is a red car”)

edit: ok my explanation of French adjective location might be oversimplified:

thanks high school and one year of college French!

MR25

Grammar thread?

Postby MR25 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:25 am

Spanish was easy, in that the adjective almost always followed the noun (una paloma blanca - a white dove, el tigre naranjo - the orange tiger, etc).

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Grammar thread?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:10 pm

its “whomever I end up picking” and not “whoever I end up picking”, right?

in this I am the subject, “end up picking” is the action and whomever is the object pronoun. I think?

MR25

Grammar thread?

Postby MR25 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:22 pm

I think it's whoever, because if you rearrange the wording, you're referring to who you pick, not whom.

There is no "to whom" in the phrase.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Grammar thread?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:26 pm

yeah it’s tough. “I will pick whomever” makes sense but I don’t know if moving it to the front changes the subject/object nouns

MR25

Grammar thread?

Postby MR25 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:28 pm

Which is why I just say "The person/player/etc I pick" instead. No grammatical ambiguity.

meow

Grammar thread?

Postby meow » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:33 pm

“I put this on Jason’s and Sherri’s radar”

“I put this on Jason and Sherri’s radar.”