UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:45 pm

As bad as Conor looked grappling, I thought if Khabib caught one he’d go down like Volkov vs Lewis bout earlier.
He took a few uncontested shots that I thought he was going to go down. He proved his chin last night, imo.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Khabibs an idiot. McGregor’s trying to sell tickets; he doesn’t actually think your manager is a terrorist who was involved in planning 9/11. Even given that he took that sht personally you beat the piss out of him and got paid to do it. You got your revenge. Giving some hanger-on nobody a flying knee kick from the apron is a stupid risk to take; if he lands it and **** that guy up and sends him to the hospital it’s bye bye belt, rematch, career, and millions and millions of dollars (same goes for Conor firing a fire extinguisher into a bus window). The context here is also worse than the bus incident.

Regardless, in the end he might get a short suspension from the commission but a rematch will happen. I don’t particularly see how anything goes differently based on what we saw last night. People are trying to compare it to Diaz and McGregor’s adjustments in that rematch, but it’s not a good comparison imo.
Don't disagree at all, I suspect he'll be suspended and we'll have another interim fight and khabib will come back and fight it.

nocera

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby nocera » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:29 pm

I know somebody already mentioned UFC is looking like WWE, but I honestly think y’all are getting worked. I bet this was a planned angle for the rematch.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Have you seen the footage?

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:44 pm

There's a variety of angles that I suspect show it wasn't staged. They don't want this at all with actual athletic commissions involved.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am

So after yesterday, there was this whole "Conor is a G because he didn't press charges." Well that alternate video of him swinging first at the trainer came out, he exactly wasn't clean in the whole scenario. Seemed as if it quickly turned away from "Khabib is terrible" to the "UFC and Conor are clowns" through the reddit/mma media.

Seems as if everyone is tired of the Conor gets to do what he wants scenario, and at least a few publications called White out on the double standard.
White, president of the UFC, is partly responsible for the brawl triggered by Khabib Nurmagomedov, who submitted Conor McGregor in the fourth round and then set off an ugly post-fight scene. Nurmagomedov jumped out of the octagon and attacked one of McGregor’s sparring partners, and members of Nurmagomedov’s entourage attacked McGregor inside the octagon.

White’s actions were no less despicable.

The madness can be tracked back to April in Brooklyn, when McGregor, retaliating against Nurmagomedov on behalf of a teammate, attacked a bus that was carrying Nurmagomedov, other UFC fighters and UFC staff members. McGregor threw a dolly at the bus, shattered glass, injured fighters and exposed White as an opportunist.

“This is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,’’ White said after the incident, and within 72 hours he was backpedaling.

Soon enough, White saw the mayhem as a marketing bonanza and and video of McGregor throwing the dolly at the bus was used to promote the ensuring McGregor-Nurmagomedov fight — and it also promoted lawlessness.

White’s hypocrisy was on display Saturday night after the melee at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, when of Nurmagomedov and the other hooligans he said, “These guys are in big trouble. It is going to be ugly.”

It was beyond ugly, as White failed to take any responsibility for a brawl that soiled his reputation, tainted the UFC and tarnished the sport.

Lemon Berry Lobster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:16 am

Yeah, everyone involved is a big jackass.

LeopardLetang

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 am

i bought it and it was worth it unlike their royal F up last time.

in the end i loved seeing conor whooped but also when he's losing i always feel bad for him. i like him but i can't help but hate him too. he trash talks so brilliantly i can't help but imagine myself on the other side trying to counter it and it's so farking hard it's infuriating.

conor's all in when he trash talks and there's palpable danger in that and i want to see that bluff called if possible (Diaz semi did) so i enjoyed seeing khabib and his gang spill over - especially after dominating. proves to me how self controlled they were and that winning was all.

i don't care if it would have ruined his future or kept all his money from him or imprisoned his friends. i'm not saying he did the right thing - just that it was cathartic to see

Lemon Berry Lobster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 am

With as ugly as the end was, the interview with Derrick Lewis after his knockout was the best interview I've ever witnessed.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 am

With as ugly as the end was, the interview with Derrick Lewis after his knockout was the best interview I've ever witnessed.
Same. "My balls is hot." "I understand." lmao.

Honestly going into Friday - I thought Khabib was the first fighter that Conor wouldn't be able to break him mentally too much. Khabib had the Fedor in his prime face, and ultimately decimated Conor.

You could see it in Conor's face in round 1- when he was on the cage just sitting there and thinking everything was fine. Khabib finally got him to the ground you could see it becoming concerned. Then round 2- and Khabib walked through Conor's shots and took him to the ground again. I think he realized then he was ultimately outmatched.

That snap punch that tagged Conor was absolutely ridiculous fast too.

I could write fan-fic about Khabib all day. That dude is a killer.

Lemon Berry Lobster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:32 am

Same. "My balls is hot." "I understand." lmao.

Honestly going into Friday - I thought Khabib was the first fighter that Conor wouldn't be able to break him mentally too much. Khabib had the Fedor in his prime face, and ultimately decimated Conor.

You could see it in Conor's face in round 1- when he was on the cage just sitting there and thinking everything was fine. Khabib finally got him to the ground you could see it becoming concerned. Then round 2- and Khabib walked through Conor's shots and took him to the ground again. I think he realized then he was ultimately outmatched.

That snap punch that tagged Conor was absolutely ridiculous fast too.

I could write fan-fic about Khabib all day. That dude is a killer.
The entire 2ish minute interview is pure gold. Donald Trump called me a couple hours before and told me to knock that Russian mfer out. USA up in this hoe. Sit my black ass down and do some cardio. The whole thing is amazing.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am

Also just saw video of Khabib smashing Conor and talking **** during the fight.

Dickie Dunn

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 pm

- Mayweather is trying to set up a boxing match against Khabib.

-
As the old saying goes, as one door closes, another one opens.

Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions stable of fighters, including Canelo Alvarez, the unified middleweight world champion and boxing's biggest superstar, have long been stalwarts of HBO. But with the premium cable network's recent announcement that after 45 years of putting on most of the biggest fights in boxing it was bowing out of the sport at the end of the year, they were in need of a new broadcast home -- and they have landed a very lucrative one with new sports streaming service DAZN through 2023.

In a record-shattering deal finalized early Wednesday morning, Alvarez signed a five-year, 11-fight deal worth a minimum of $365 million with DAZN, which only launched in the United States in September.

It will commence with his move up to super middleweight to challenge secondary world titlist Rocky Fielding on Dec. 15 at Madison Square Garden in New York, where they will meet face-to-face at the kickoff news conference on Wednesday afternoon.
Alvarez's deal is the richest athlete contract in sports history, eclipsing the 13-year, $325 million agreement that New York Yankees slugger Giancarlo Stanton signed in 2014 when he was with the Miami Marlins.
That's a ton of **** money for Canelo.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm

That's an even easier fight for Mayweather. Not interested unless his non-reading ass wants to fight in the cage.

Dickie Dunn

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm

All Mayweather wants is easy paydays. Dude barely trained for the McGregor fight.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:23 am

Which is why I'm not interested in it. Khabib is even less of a striker than Conor. It's just a dumb match-up.

Dickie Dunn

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:26 am

I would illegally watch it for free, just like I did with the Mayweather-McGregor fight.

shafnutz05

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:31 pm

I would illegally watch it for free, just like I did with the Mayweather-McGregor fight.

Ad@m

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Ad@m » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:48 am

Viva la Ben

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Viva la Ben » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 pm

That happened in the last two seconds of the last round of a 5 round fight. The guy who was knocked out was leading on the scorecard too. Amazing.

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Crazy. Wasn't sure if that was 100% legal to be honest

Shyster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:44 am

2018 in sumo has officially come to an end with 22-year-old komosubi Takakeishō winning the November basho in Fukuoka. I think this will go down as a transition year in sumo, where the young fought the old and won some and lost some. Three of the six tournaments this year were taken by first-time winners (Tochinoshin, Mitakeumi, and Takakeishō), and Mitakeumi and Takakeishō are 25 and 22, respectively. I think they still count as "up and coming" wrestlers, and both of them are Japanese. Georgian-born (the country, not the state) Tochinoshin parlayed his tournament win in January into a winning streak that saw him earn promotion to sumo's second-highest rank of ōzeki, but he's already 31 and has a history of knee injuries, so his tenure at ōzeki may be short. An asterisk is that all three of those wrestlers won in tournaments where either some or all of the yokozuna (most notably Hakuhō) had withdrawn, so they didn't face some of the toughest competitors on the way to their wins.

A few years ago, the Sumo Association implemented a policy where any given training stable (of which there are currently 46) can only have one wrestler who is not a Japanese citizen, and many stables never accepted foreigners to begin with. With an effective restriction on the number of new foreign wrestlers who can come into the sport, the number of foreigners has been shrinking and the Japanese wrestlers are winning more often. Based on attendance, that clearly makes the hometown fans happy, but I think the qualify of sumo is dropping. "If you can't beat 'em, don't let 'em play" might be racking up Japanese yushos, but it's making for a lesser show.

Yokozuna Hakuhō is still the GOAT (he took the September tournament with a 15-0 unbeaten record), but he has become more vulnerable to injury, and he sat out Fukuoka after going through surgery to remove some bone chips from his knee. I do think he has throttled back his performance in the last couple years. With 41 top-division championships and just about every other record you could think of, Hakuhō has nothing left to prove to anyone, and he has said he would like to still be a yokozuna in 2020 so that he could be part of Olympic ceremonies. I think he is focusing less on wins and more on getting to that goal. I expect a couple more tournament wins in the next couple years, but Hakuhō isn't going to be the dominator of old, and I don't think he wants to be.

Yokozuna Kakuryū had a decent year with two tournament wins, but the quality of his sumo is also dropping, and he also sat out Fukuoka with an ankle injury. If he recovers, he could be around another couple years, but if the injuries catch up he could easily retire in 2019.

Yokozuna Kisenosato is dreadful and should have already retired. Kisenosato sustained a significant shoulder injury last year but decided to forego surgery and attempt to recover by rest and rehab. It clearly didn't work, and he failed to complete the next eight tournaments (a record for a yokozuna). When he finally completed the full 15 days in September, he looked shaky but managed an okay 10-5 record. In Fukuoka he became the first yokozuna in over 80 years to lose his first four bouts, and he absolutely got his butt kicked in those matches. He withdrew on day five due to a claimed leg injury, but he should have announced his retirement. Kisenosato can barely do top-division sumo, let alone yokozuna sumo. If he weren't both the sole Japanese yokozuna and the first Japanese yokozuna in more than a decade, the Sumo Association would have demanded his retirement months ago, and at this point he's just embarrassing himself.

The three ōzekis (Gōeidō, Takayasu, and the newly promoted Tochinoshin) are mostly solid wrestlers, but I don't see any of them as Yokozuna material. Heck, I don't think Gōeidō belongs at ōzeki. It's notable that due to yokozuna withdrawals, the door was wide open in multiple tournaments for Gōeidō or Takayasu to get a win, but neither managed to come through.

An out-of-the-ring transition was the departure of former yokozuna Takanohana from the Sumo Association. Takanohana was the top wrestler of the '90s and was so successful that he was given a special lifetime "one generation" elder share in the Sumo Association without having to buy it. But Takanohana quickly became a thorn in the size of the old guard who runs the Association. He ran for the Association's board many years before it would have been considered his "time" to run, and he formed a breakaway minority group of like-minded elders who thought the Association needed reform and modernization. Takanohana's reform efforts were not appreciated by people who liked the Association the way it is (i.e., poorly run, insular, and comfortably corrupt). When one of his wrestlers was involved in a scandal (by beating up a lower-ranked wrestler), the Sumo Association took the opportunity to bust Takanohana back down to the lowest rank of elder. Takanohana saw the writing on the wall and resigned from the Association entirely, and the other breakaway elders folded their tent and merged back into the regular structure of the Association. Rumors are Takanohana might be thinking of getting into politics, where any reform efforts would be similarly futile. At least in terms of sumo's management, 2018 saw the young beaten soundly by the old.

So looking forward to 2019, it looks like the decade-long foreign (and especially Mongolian) domination of sumo might be coming to an end. Hakuhō and Kakuryū likely have more wins in them, but age and injuries are catching up, and there are no foreigners in the top two divisions who look to continue the dominance. There is a decent pack of Japanese wrestlers doing quality sumo at a slightly lower level (e.g., Mitakeumi, Takakeishō, Hokutofuji, Ōnoshō), but whether any of them can take their sumo to the next level remains to be seen.

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:37 pm

@Shyster

"The sumo wrestler handprint tradition is a sight to behold 🤚" https://twitter.com/i/events/1069998333593182208

Shyster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Shyster » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:47 pm

They're called tegata. After making the hand prints, the wrestler will go back over the print and sign his name, so it also ends up being an autograph too. They're basically the sumo equivalent of a baseball card. One can either buy mass-produced ones or original hand-stamped ones like in those images. The hand-stamped ones are much more expensive and hard to get. You can see a bunch of examples here: http://www.sumoforum.net/tegata/index.php?g=tegata&p=4

Pavel Bure

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:21 am

Jon cheating bones jones wins. I can’t help but to feel anything he does or now the ufc does is completely tainted. Mir gets 2 years for the same thing as Jones but since Jones draws they make an exception. Brendan Schaub has a great breakdown of how since Nowinski (yeah it’s not spelled right) is a UFC employee now everything can be tainted and Jones is the first example.