UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 am

Khabib is probably my favorite fighter right now. If he shores up his striking game I bet he's near unbeatable.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:12 am

No, I haven't watched in a while. They'd don't have enough star power to put a show on PPV every month.
I generally agree with this, but this weekend's show had DC defending for first time since the Jones fight, and the HW title with the next big thing vs a guy trying to set the record for HW title defenses.

Next month's 221 card is a good example of what you are talking about, however.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am

DC looked like a father beating his child this past weekend. I truly believe that probably still couldn't beat Jones because I think Jones fight IQ is clearly higher, but DC is an absolute monster even at his age.

Pavel Bure

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:09 pm

No, I haven't watched in a while. They'd don't have enough star power to put a show on PPV every month.
I generally agree with this, but this weekend's show had DC defending for first time since the Jones fight, and the HW title with the next big thing vs a guy trying to set the record for HW title defenses.

Next month's 221 card is a good example of what you are talking about, however.
While I respect both Stipe and DC you have to admit that neither of them is the guy to hype a PPV. Dana doesn't like Stipe so much that he ball washed his opponent for weeks leading up to the fight. Stipe just wants to do his job and go home. You can't build a megastar out of that.

DC has always has a stigma of being boring and vanilla (when not facing Jones) the spectacular thing about him is that he is/was such a dominance wrestler that other fighters couldn't do anything super flashy because they would get wrestle-f*cked before they could. He's a good guy but being a good guy doesn't make you a star.

Those guys are incredibly talented and masters of their craft but there wasn't a single person around the water cooler talking about either of them retaining. That issue falls squarely on Dana and the UFC for not being able to create the hype needed to continue the massive growth.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Well then PB, get ready for them to combine the two for Miocic-Cormier at UFC 226 in July.

I actually think it's a fascinating matchup.

Shyster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:53 pm

The January sumo tournament just finished up with an unexpected winner: Tochinoshin (real name Levan Gorgadze), who was ranked at West Maegashira #3. Yokozuna Harumafuji retired before the tournament due to scandal, yokozunas Hakuhō and Kisenosato pulled out due to injury, and Yokozuna Kakuryū started out with 10 wins but then lost four in a row to fall out of contention. This is the first time since 2012 that a sumo tournament was one by someone outside the san'yaku ranks, which are the four special ranks at the very top of the rankings (i.e., yokozuna, ōzeki, sekiwake and komusubi). Tochinoshin is from Georgia, and he becomes the third European to win a sumo tournament behind former ōzekis Kotoōshū (from Bulgaria) and Baruto (from Estonia).

The chief referee who got blackout drunk and kissed a younger referee got a three-tournament suspension, after which the resignation he has reportedly already submitted will be accepted. I'm not sure why they're just not canning him right away. Because the other chief referee position was already vacant, the sumo association will be without any chief referees for a while. That hasn't happened in something like 30 years. The sumo association apparently doesn't think highly of the referees at the top of the rankings, because I'm sensing a hesitancy to promote anyone into those two chief-referee positions. Just like the sumo wrestlers, referees are all ranked from top to bottom, but the rankings are pretty much just based on seniority.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:22 pm

Interesting, and I mean that genuinely

tifosi77

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm not sure why they're just not canning him right away.
Sure you are.

Mentsu wo ushinau, and this is his sort of enforced haji.

We're talking about a sport where the refs wear ceremonial daggers to symbolize their willingness to commit seppuku if they make a bad call. :scared:

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Shyster, I understand 1% of sumo (thanks to you) and remember none of the names, but I do enjoy your commentary.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:44 pm

The federation ranking refs is great

Shyster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Shyster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:30 pm

The refs (gyōji) have ranks that correspond to the divisions in sumo. So just as a young sumo wrestler starts in the lowest jonokuchi division, each ref starts ranked as a jonokuchi gyōji, and then they move up to through jonidan, sandanme, makushita, jūryō, and makuuchi. Above the makuuchi gyōji are four san'yaku gyōji , and at the very top are the two tate-gyōji, who always carry the names Shikimori Inosuke (the second highest) and Kimura Shōnosuke (the top dog). Gyōji have ring names just like the wrestlers, and every gyōji carries one of two last names: Shikimori and Kimura. The Kimuras are more numerous than the Shikimoris by about a three-to-one ratio, and if that ratio gets out of whack you sometimes see a Kimura switch to being a Shikimori or vice versa. There's a maximum of 45 gyōji positions.

The gyōji start young, typically at 15–18 years old, and one doesn't usually hit the makuuchi or san'yaku gyōji ranks until the mid 50s or low 60s, so it takes a long time for a ref to work his way up. Being a gyōji is a full-time job. In addition to their in-ring referee duties, the gyōji are also trained in calligraphy, and they painstakingly paint by hand the signs, posters, and other stuff you see around the arena. Each gyōji is assigned to and lives in a training stable just like the sumo wrestlers, and they will also have chores and other duties around the stables.

So just like being a wrestler, being a sumo gyōji is not merely a job—it's a lifestyle. That means the soon-to-be-former Shikimori Inosuke has been literally a sumo referee for his entire adult life. I can't imagine being in a situation where you're suddenly expelled—in absolute shame—from something that's been your whole life for something like 45 years.

Shyster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Shyster » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 pm

What do sumo wresters eat?

The Special Stew at the Heart of Sumo Wrestling
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/s ... hanko-nabe

Further trivia: Chankonabe was created by the 19th yokozuna Hitachiyama Taniemon in his post-wrestling career as the head of the Dewanoumi training stable. Hitachiyama (January 19, 1874 – June 19, 1922) was one of the most popular sumo wrestlers of all time. He is the person usually credited with introducing bushidō concepts to the sumo world, and he dramatically elevated the respectability of the sport in the minds of the Japanese public. He was so popular that under his leadership as a coach Dewanoumi—which had previously been a minor stable—had over a hundred active wrestlers. The only way to feed to many people on a daily basis was to make massive vats of stew each day, and chankonabe has been a staple of the sumo world ever since.

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:39 pm

I am going to an amateur boxing event in Youngstown tomorrow and I'm pretty excited. 16 fights on the card, one kid is ranked #2 in the nation in light heavyweight. Never been to anything like this

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:58 am

Khbib Ferguson off again. This time Ferguson is hurt. Halloway is going to fight Khabib - which I think is very bad news for Halloway.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:23 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2768 ... -backstage
From there, according to MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani, there was some manner of altercation with some of the fighters set to compete on the card. There are no specifics yet on who it was or what, exactly happened though Edwards suggests that [Conor McGregor] was looking for UFC 223 main eventer Khabib Nurmagomedov in particular, while MMA Junkie's Mike Bohn posted a video that shows McGregor throwing a barricade.
Barricade throwing tweet:

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/ ... cherreport

eddy

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Dana White said warrant is out for Conor McGregor’s arrest. His plane can’t leave New York.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status ... 8280312832

eddy

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Kaiser

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Kaiser » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:43 am

I can't tell what's happening, but it looks like Time Crisis.

shafnutz05

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 am

That McGregor story is bonkers

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:17 am

all for show

shafnutz05

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:39 am

all for show
Don't think so, in this instance. Would have been better choreographed. Alcohol is a hell of a drug.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:40 am

Sources tell us Conor has been charged with 2 counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of felony criminal mischief.
If it's a work they are supremely committed

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:44 am

Sources tell us Conor has been charged with 2 counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of felony criminal mischief.
love it nothing gets you some street cred and interest back for UFC like a little felony

Lemon Berry Lobster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 am

love it nothing gets you some street cred and interest back for UFC like a little felony
The charges get stepped down to some little stuff and he pays a few fines that are pennies to him. It is very Trump-esque of him to do this since his fans will only love him more and the people that hate him will hate him more. Both will tune in to his next fight, possibly in higher numbers than would have before.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:09 am

It's been 3+ years. I just want to see Khabib vs. Conor.