UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:06 pm

Northcutt is 19, never got that far in a fight, and was totally gassed when he realized it wasn't going his way. That was one of the first fighters he faced that actually I thought wasn't a cupcake.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:07 pm

Ryan Bader sucks, btw. Johnson is the modern day Tyson in terms of striking power - it's amazing what opponents do to NOT get hit by him.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:42 pm

http://deadspin.com/jose-aldo-should-ob ... 1755777911

There are arguments for why Aldo should get an immediate rematch, which the article does note -- his role as the only featherweight champ until McGregor, 10 years as a champ, and the fact that 13 seconds of Aldo v. McGregor isn't enough -- but the answer to why he isn't getting that fight straight-away isn't "because the UFC is kinda-sorta racist":
It’s not just that Conor McGregor’s fights were curated to give him the safest, surest route to a mega-fight with Aldo; or that McGregor has been able to circumvent a murderer’s row of contenders to fight dos Anjos straight away; or that UFC brass is doing everything in their power to let their brightest star shine. It’s that the UFC time and again fails to promote fighters of color as compelling athletes in their own right, instead positioning them as disposable tools to further the reach of the UFC or prop up favored fighters.
Or, more accurately, "I am upset because Jose Aldo is a non-English speaking, not particularly charismatic star who does not overwhelmingly appeal to an American audience and whose drawing power is dwarfed by the lunatic Irish guy who pulls eyeballs and wallets; therefore, it must be racism. I do not understand how business works." What a baby.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Also, in that piece, he says:
On one hand, this is great for McGregor, who’s slated to fight dos Anjos for the lightweight title next month, and then 145-pound contender Frankie Edgar for the featherweight belt sometime later in the year.
What? Has that fight been booked? I've never heard this.

Pavel Bure

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:59 pm

http://deadspin.com/jose-aldo-should-ob ... 1755777911

There are arguments for why Aldo should get an immediate rematch, which the article does note -- his role as the only featherweight champ until McGregor, 10 years as a champ, and the fact that 13 seconds of Aldo v. McGregor isn't enough -- but the answer to why he isn't getting that fight straight-away isn't "because the UFC is kinda-sorta racist":
It’s not just that Conor McGregor’s fights were curated to give him the safest, surest route to a mega-fight with Aldo; or that McGregor has been able to circumvent a murderer’s row of contenders to fight dos Anjos straight away; or that UFC brass is doing everything in their power to let their brightest star shine. It’s that the UFC time and again fails to promote fighters of color as compelling athletes in their own right, instead positioning them as disposable tools to further the reach of the UFC or prop up favored fighters.
Or, more accurately, "I am upset because Jose Aldo is a non-English speaking, not particularly charismatic star who does not overwhelmingly appeal to an American audience and whose drawing power is dwarfed by the lunatic Irish guy who pulls eyeballs and wallets; therefore, it must be racism. I do not understand how business works." What a baby.
Except for Jon Jones, Demitrius Johnson, Fabricio Werdum, Rafael Dos Anjos, and in the past guys like Tito Ortiz, Rampage Jackson, and Anderson Silva. I agree with the article it's a total WASP fest. Can't roll my eyes hard enough.

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 am

Anyone else go last night? I had fun

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Spangler » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Anyone else go last night? I had fun
I went. It was an interesting experience since I don't know a ton about MMA. The best fight imo was the first women's preliminary match. A lot of contact, and it literally turned into a blood bath; the winner's outfit was a different color by the end of the fight.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Dos Anjos pulls out of fight with McGregor, citing foot injury. Reports are they are looking for replacements to keep McGregor on the card. Aldo said he can';t be ready in time.

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Faber and Cerrone already asking for it.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Faber would do good numbers, but he fights at 135, and McGregor has been training as though he was going at 155 in two weeks. That's just not safe for Faber.

I think Diaz is going to get it, he fights at 155, coming off a good win, and he has enough crazy in him that they can turn it up in the next two weeks to hype the fight. Him and McGregor at the pre-fight press conferences will be enjoyable.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Oh lawd... Diaz and McGregor will be gold. Both press conferences and the actual fight will be exciting.

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:01 pm

Faber posted a pic of him on the scale at 158 today

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:12 pm

It's McGregor vs Diaz. Dana White just said they're fighting at 170. Wow

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:43 am

170? what?

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:36 am

Which means Diaz is probably 180ish right now.

This could wind up being a disaster.

Pavel Bure

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:42 am

Yeah guys weight classes are starting to change a bit due to weight cutting restrictions tightening. In the next couple years the 20-30 pound cut will be unheard of.

count2infinity

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:45 am

Both of McGregor's losses have come via submissions and Diaz has over half of his wins come via submission. Being a bigger guy and a better BJJ guy, this could definitely be bad for McGregor. Diaz isn't a slouch on his feet either. I dunno, we'll see.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Diaz isn't a ground guy, though he certainly can submit guys if he can knock them down with his strikes; he's going to stand and throw with Conor. That's his style. When he's faced true wrestlers and guys who are good on the ground, he's run into problems.

The fact that McGregor was prepping for someone in Dos Anjos with a completely different style and the fact that for the first time someone is going to stand throw with him with a longer reach which has never really happened make this interesting from a style/strategy standpoint. Diaz is in like the top 5 all time in terms of strikes landed in UFC history, which I don't think Conor has really seen before.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:57 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/2/24/11105 ... m-tate-mma

That's the stream for the first presser with Conor and Diaz. 4PM EST. Should be great.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:31 pm

I don't think Diaz wins. I just have no faith in either of the brothers at this point in the game. Maybe a younger more motivated Diaz wins, but not now. Both of them are top tier trash talkers though. I can't wait.

count2infinity

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Diaz isn't a ground guy, though he certainly can submit guys if he can knock them down with his strikes; he's going to stand and throw with Conor. That's his style. When he's faced true wrestlers and guys who are good on the ground, he's run into problems.

The fact that McGregor was prepping for someone in Dos Anjos with a completely different style and the fact that for the first time someone is going to stand throw with him with a longer reach which has never really happened make this interesting from a style/strategy standpoint. Diaz is in like the top 5 all time in terms of strikes landed in UFC history, which I don't think Conor has really seen before.
I know he likes to throw punches... but when I comment on his good BJJ skills, I'm just looking at the numbers. 18 wins: 11 submissions, 4 knockouts, 3 decisions. I agree that his wrestling skills are bad and thus people just take him down and hold him there and end up winning by decision. McGregor isn't going to do that. It's gonna be fun.

Pavel Bure

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:15 am

Diaz is a BJJ black belt. He stands and throws because he and his brother worked extremely hard to get their boxing skills up and because he volume he usually throws keeps guys way off balance. Connor won't take it to the ground though and you're right Diaz doesn't think he has to. If it goes to the ground though I think Connor is in trouble. He's just not a ground guy by nature.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:16 am

Diaz is a BJJ black belt. He stands and throws because he and his brother worked extremely hard to get their boxing skills up and because he volume he usually throws keeps guys way off balance. Connor won't take it to the ground though and you're right Diaz doesn't think he has to. If it goes to the ground though I think Connor is in trouble. He's just not a ground guy by nature.
He isnt, but then I remember watching the Mendes fight and thinking at least twice "it's over" as Chad -- who most would say is the best in the world on the mat at 145 -- sliced him with elbows on the ground, and he somehow not only survived that but KO's him.

I don't think that's his plan by any stretch, but that was impressive.

Algernon

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Algernon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:45 am

I took diuretics among other drugs to get shredded in the past.... it's not a pleasant experience and my strength took a major dip as the water dropped. I also was more 'fragile'

I can't imagine fighting after cutting 30 pounds.

How long do they get between weigh in and the fight?

I can't imagine it being less than 5 days to carb back up and pump your body with 20 pounds of glycogen and water

Pavel Bure

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:00 pm

He isnt, but then I remember watching the Mendes fight and thinking at least twice "it's over" as Chad -- who most would say is the best in the world on the mat at 145 -- sliced him with elbows on the ground, and he somehow not only survived that but KO's him.

I don't think that's his plan by any stretch, but that was impressive.
Mendes also took that fight on 2 weeks and gassed hard.