UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 pm

If Khabib didn't improve his striking it's over before it started, imo. Conor being out of the ring for this long might benefit Khabib. Conor's had a few years to learn how to stuff a takedown. That's my biggest gripe with wrestling guys, if they can't get to the ground it's apparent how weak some are on their feet.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:33 pm

If Khabib didn't improve his striking it's over before it started, imo. Conor being out of the ring for this long might benefit Khabib.
You think Conor is going to win? I don't see how he doesn't wind up on his back over and over. He needs that knockout blow.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Fair enough -- responded before you edited.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:35 pm

If Khabib didn't improve his striking it's over before it started, imo. Conor being out of the ring for this long might benefit Khabib.
You think Conor is going to win? I don't see how he doesn't wind up on his back over and over. He needs that knockout blow.
I just summarized why. It's easier for a guy to learn how to stuff a takedown than outbox someone else. Khabib stood with Al Laquinta and he didn't look crisp at all (multiple fighters in a week aside, he just didn't look clean).

I also think the weight cut for Khabib is going better than normal, so I would imagine he doesn't burn out. Khabib seems as if he's a killer though, so hopefully he has Fedor type mentality.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:36 pm

That all being said, this is the fight I've wanted to see more than DC/Jones 2. This is the first UFC I'm going to buy ever I think.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:39 pm

I hope Khabib takes him down and beats him in 2 minutes. That said, he'll win by unanimous decision due to take down after take down.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:42 pm

My real thought is that I wouldn't be surprised if Khabib thinks he can strike with him and abandons his plan, too. He's done that before to prove a point, and I hope he just uses his talents. We'll see. This has been a long time coming.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby iamjs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:24 am

so Khabib won and then jumped out of the octagon and attacked somebody from McGregor's crew (trainer?). While this was going on, somebody from Khabib's side ran in and attacked McGregor.

Dana was obviously pissed after the match and wouldn't put the belt on Khabib.

No post-match interview by either side.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:31 am

so Khabib won and then jumped out of the octagon and attacked somebody from McGregor's crew (trainer?). While this was going on, somebody from Khabib's side ran in and attacked McGregor.

Dana was obviously pissed after the match and wouldn't put the belt on Khabib.

No post-match interview by either side.

AND STILLLLLLLL. Khabib absolutely WORKED him.

That all being said, huge black eye for the UFC, but can't help but feel it to be hypocritical that Conor can almost derail an entire card with an assault, and Khabib is the bad guy.

Hopefully Conor learned that some people take this seriously and don't understand he's selling fights. You went after his dad, his religion, and his family. It was only a matter of time.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby iamjs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:50 am

oh yeah, totally. Once Khabib got him to the ground, the only thing helping Conor was the bell at the end of the round.

I think Conor was fine when he was on his feet. Problem is probably more than half of that fight was on the ground/against the cage.

Per Dana White in a post-match interview, three members of Khabib's team have been arrested.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:09 am

Connor had no answer for stuffing takedowns. Khabib can and will do it at will. Plus that right def suprised the hell out of him.

Cagsjr724

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Cagsjr724 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:14 am

Was waiting for the glass to break with Stone Cold coming out and stunning everyone lol.

Lemon Berry Lobster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 am

What a gongshow.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby count2infinity » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:38 am

ffs Khabib... all you had to do was get the **** out of there after you made him tap and you're a f*ckin hero. A legend in the sport. Instead you do that? C'mon man.

That said, Conner supporters can stfu. He's only there to sell tickets at this point. He can't hang with the big boys anymore.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:52 am

ffs Khabib... all you had to do was get the **** out of there after you made him tap and you're a f*ckin hero. A legend in the sport. Instead you do that? C'mon man.

That said, Conner supporters can stfu. He's only there to sell tickets at this point. He can't hang with the big boys anymore.
His post fight conference confirmed what I thought. Not that it excused it, but the UFC got what they've been coming.

This sport is built on respect and "honor" to a lot of cultures. Allowing Conor to flagrantly disrespect a person's family, religion, and country repeatedly, this was bound to happen.

Khabib bright up the bus attack too, there was little to zero UFC discipline for Conor, he was absolutely still angry about it.

count2infinity

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby count2infinity » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 am

Yeah... no one comes out of this looking good. Like others have said, it just looks like WWE at this point.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby meow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:14 am

Conner should be embarrassed that Khabib worked him over then had enough energy to fight most of his corner team.

Morkle

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Morkle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 am

There's also video of this morning that Conor swung first on a Khabib corner guy, which likely caused that dude in red, who's now banned for life to jump in the ring.

Everyone is dirty in this but Dana went from six to midnight thinking about the rematch.

willeyeam

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby willeyeam » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:27 am

There's also video of this morning that Conor swung first on a Khabib corner guy, which likely caused that dude in red, who's now banned for life to jump in the ring.

Everyone is dirty in this but Dana went from six to midnight thinking about the rematch.
McGregor may have swung first but that guy was already on his way into the octagon.

skullman80

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby skullman80 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 am

McGregor will somehow come out the victim in this even when he's the biggest dadhole around. Plus he swung first from that one video. No sympathy for McGregor at all.

Lemon Berry Lobster

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:59 am

McGregor certainly isn't innocent but that doesn't mean he deserved to get punched in the head from behind.

Dickie Dunn

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:10 am

With the **** that McGregor said about Nurmagomedov and his crew leading up to the fight, I probably would have attempted to end them all as well.

skullman80

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby skullman80 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:09 pm

With the **** that McGregor said about Nurmagomedov and his crew leading up to the fight, I probably would have attempted to end them all as well.
This.

slappybrown

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby slappybrown » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Khabibs an idiot. McGregor’s trying to sell tickets; he doesn’t actually think your manager is a terrorist who was involved in planning 9/11. Even given that he took that sht personally you beat the piss out of him and got paid to do it. You got your revenge. Giving some hanger-on nobody a flying knee kick from the apron is a stupid risk to take; if he lands it and **** that guy up and sends him to the hospital it’s bye bye belt, rematch, career, and millions and millions of dollars (same goes for Conor firing a fire extinguisher into a bus window). The context here is also worse than the bus incident.

Regardless, in the end he might get a short suspension from the commission but a rematch will happen. I don’t particularly see how anything goes differently based on what we saw last night. People are trying to compare it to Diaz and McGregor’s adjustments in that rematch, but it’s not a good comparison imo.

Viva la Ben

UFC/Boxing/Combat Sports

Postby Viva la Ben » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:34 pm

As bad as Conor looked grappling, I thought if Khabib caught one he’d go down like Volkov vs Lewis bout earlier.