Education talk

robbiestoupe

Education talk

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:39 am

Congrats to the dodints's. I'll speak from experience, you'll most likely be in better financial shape by going to Slippery Rock vs. Chatham.

Silentom

Education talk

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:42 am

Plus, you can send her this gif.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:19 am

Congrats to the dodints's. I'll speak from experience, you'll most likely be in better financial shape by going to Slippery Rock vs. Chatham.
The desire for Chatham stems from their 100% job placement rate, problem based learning model, and the fact that it's like 15 minutes from home. SRU would be great if it weren't an hour+ away.

Money isn't a concern, she's paying cash. A silver lining of her mother's passing is that my wife gets to go to DPT school with no financial stress thanks to a full pension her mother left behind; she only drew one retirement check out of it before passing. Understandably my wife is having a hard time accepting the bequeathment as she views it as exchanging her mother for money, but she's coming around to realize that one has nothing to do with the other and her Mom planned her pension that way so the money could be used to enhance the kids quality of life. Having all our debt wiped out and my wife getting to do her entire DPT program without having to work or take out a student loan will put us ahead by 10 or 15 years.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:22 am

That's fantastic news, dodint.

I understand the guilt about the pension, but that is a game changer. I've seen too many people - into their mid-30s - crippled by student loan debt. It's awful. Hopefully, she'll see it as a gift from her mother in time.

Silentom

Education talk

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:22 am

The desire for Chatham stems from their 100% job placement rate, problem based learning model, and the fact that it's like 15 minutes from home. SRU would be great if it weren't an hour+ away.

Money isn't a concern, she's paying cash. A silver lining of her mother's passing is that my wife gets to go to DPT school with no financial stress thanks to a full pension her mother left behind; she only drew one retirement check out of it before passing. Understandably my wife is having a hard time accepting the bequeathment as she views it as exchanging her mother for money, but she's coming around to realize that one has nothing to do with the other and her Mom planned her pension that way so the money could be used to enhance the kids quality of life. Having all our debt wiped out and my wife getting to do her entire DPT program without having to work or take out a student loan will put us ahead by 10 or 15 years.
The Rock is probably about 45-50 mins up route 8. It's long, but not that long - once you get through Butler, you cruise. And it's a nice ride up that way. very scenic.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 am

Yeah, I don't think the drive will be that bad. And when she does clinicals she will get to do them down here in Pittsburgh, so all eight semesters won't be done at SRU.

I personally don't think the drive will be bad; but it seems like EVERYONE that talks to her about SRU says it's going to be an excruciating two hour slog each way. You're literally the first person I've heard downplay the trip. I don't know where these people are coming from; Bethel Park maybe.

Silentom

Education talk

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:28 am

My uncle used to live up there, and when I go to my brother's in-laws camp in Titusville, we take Rt. 8. It's nowhere near that drastic.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 am

Excellent. :thumb:

We're going to do a campus tour in May or so and see for ourselves. I don't have to drive it, so what do I care? ;)

RonnieFranchise

Education talk

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 am

Congrats to Mrs. Dodint

As far as similar events here, today is my wife's last day of 2 years of practicum. She has 6 summer credits to go and will get her MS in Social Work from Louisville at the end of the summer (although she has the option to walk next month).

In some ways this has been the longest two years of our lives with her having to work w/o pay all day then carrying 12 credits on top.... but on the other hand when you are in your mid 40s all time goes fast- so in some ways seems like no time at all. The online program has been tough but vs driving to Oakland or Youngstown it was a no brainer.

She's had one interview so far and another one lined up. Needless to say she's pretty stoked.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:19 am

Congrats to her and best of luck with the interviews. Tough line of work, that. Hopefully she can hit the ground running.

Is she going to walk early? I never understood that from a mental aspect. I wouldn't get any joy from doing that if I knew I'd be back in class in a few days. My brother did it at SVC, I should ask him.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:34 am

I guess this fits here...

So, I teach an 8 week, 1 credit class, for five terms per academic year. I got an email from a student in a class that ended a month ago stating that she was "concerned about her grade." We use a standardized course platform, so I logged in as that particular student and saw she completed exactly one of the fifteen assignments due in the class. One. She had some points for attendance/participation, but she was sitting at a 38. The other 15 or so were untouched, not even wrong answers or partial attempts.

I told her that her grade was accurate, as I had no evidence that she had done anything but the one assignment. When I closed out the term grading, I entered zeroes for all of her missed assignments (which must show as "Completed" on her end) which gave me the 38 grade.

She responds that it looks like they are completed on her end. Yes, because I went through and put zeroes on all of your missed assignments.

What the hell is going on here? Am I missing something, or is this student remarkably dumb? She claims that she has been trying to contact me for weeks, but had the wrong email. I literally have the easiest email on campus to remember. Four letters plus the name of the school. Terrible excuse.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Education talk

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:37 am

You are missing the part where you are responsible for her actions. It is all your fault she didn't do her work.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 am

This type of behavior is common and certainly not anything new. People suck sometimes.

MR25

Education talk

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:58 am

Hit her with the Michael Keaton gif

Silentom

Education talk

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:03 pm

That gif is tops.

RonnieFranchise

Education talk

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Congrats to her and best of luck with the interviews. Tough line of work, that. Hopefully she can hit the ground running.

Is she going to walk early? I never understood that from a mental aspect. I wouldn't get any joy from doing that if I knew I'd be back in class in a few days. My brother did it at SVC, I should ask him.
She is deciding. Most of the friends she has made are in the 4 semester program and finishing up- she took the optional 4 lower courseload semesters + 6 credits each summer for two years plan. They are having a luncheon where most of them will be the Friday before graduation, so I think we are going to Louisville so she can finally meet them in person. I don't think she is going to walk, she doesn't really feel right about it with 6 credits left. She could do it in the fall or next spring but by then it will have been awhile and her cohort will have graduated already anyway. So I think she's just going to meet her classmates for the department luncheon.

Specifically, she is going into gerontology, which she's going to need in 30 years anyway if she hasn't killed me by then.

shafnutz05

Education talk

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 am

This is one of the most mind-f**kingly dumb things I've ever read:

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/ ... 3a4fa.html
A teacher at Hand Middle School said he is being fired for serving whole-grain pancakes to his students while they took the Pennsylvania System of School Assessment last week.

Kyle Byler, who has taught eighth-grade social studies at Hand since 2013, said he was suspended without pay on April 10 after assistant Principal Marian Grill walked into Byler’s class and questioned why he was making breakfast for his students.

Byler had brought an electric griddle and made one whole-grain pancake for each test-taker to eat during the test, he said.

Within 24 hours, Byler, who parents have labeled as the “eighth-grade dad” at Hand, was called into a meeting with administrators and told he’d be terminated for causing a distraction during PSSA testing, he said.
Yeah, fire the teacher that clearly gives a sht about his students. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid and backwards so many school boards and administrators are. The shocking thing is that even with the public backlash and reaction from the students talking about how supportive and great of a teacher he has been, the school board is still expected to approve the firing.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 am

His nickname was "Dad"? Pittsburgh media will eat this up.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 am

I used to stock my room with snacks and drinks for PSSA test time. Those things are long and exhausting for students.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:19 am

That is awful. A few years ago I was going to give candy with little sayings on it (like good luck, or something corny) to each kid before testing each day. I was told that wasn't allowed. This was after I had asked parents to write "good luck" notes to their kids and was told that wasn't allowed because some kids might not get notes. I even said I'd write notes to the kids that didn't get them. Nope, not allowed.

Kids are not allowed to have any food or drinks at their desk during testing. While the test is administered, they can't eat anything, even if it is during a break. They can leave to get water from the water fountain if it's an "emergency." The testing itself is ridiculous. They structure and the increased anxiety to the kids is moronic.

shafnutz05

Education talk

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:29 am

All of that said, we have to remember we are hearing one side of the story thus far. I really hope there's more to the story than what the teacher is letting on. That said, it's not like I would be surprised if it's just another case of overreaching administrators.

MWB, good on you for doing that...it seems like there is always some dumb reason that teachers can't do something that will set them apart from others.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:59 am

What if some kid has a gluten allergy? S/he doesn't get a pancake, or gets sick and the school district gets sued. CYA at all times.

It's all horseshit. All of it.

Tonight, my son is performing in a standardized testing skit at a PTO meeting. Just a PSA to the handful of parents that show up that yes, testing is coming and to sleep well, eat breakfast, and do your best on it. :roll:

If my wife wasn't a teacher there (and likely was picked for a speaking role because of this), I would've told them to go pound sand.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

I assume the account is accurate. The test taking procedures are very rigid and very explicit. We have to go through a training every year about what we can and can't do and sign a document saying we'll abide by the procedures. I assume most states do the same thing. So while I agree that it is stupid policy and being fired is too much, I assume it's a pretty clear case that he broke the rules of testing.

shafnutz05

Education talk

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 pm

So while I agree that it is stupid policy and being fired is too much, I assume it's a pretty clear case that he broke the rules of testing.
Yup...this is probably accurate.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:08 pm

"Hey FR, why do you homeschool?"