Education talk

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:23 pm

I'm looking at moving to the NA school district. Somehow she wants him in PPS over that because diversity. I just can't with her about this. I'm all for him being exposed to diversity as much as possible but sending him to an absolute **** pile of a highschool because of it is ridiculous.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 pm

That's a tough one. Fox Chapel High School - when I was there in 1989-90 had about 12 Black students. One of the news channels did a story on it, and that number stuck with me all these years later. When we moved to Charleston, I went to a Catholic high school - muy blanco - but my younger siblings went to the public elementary/middle school, which was 40% Black back then. Very eye-opening for all of us.

My wife and I - well, mostly my public education advocate wife - decided our kids would go to the local public schools instead of the private schools here. Some of it is financially related, but mostly because these local private schools aren't great. They have problematic teachers - usually washouts from the local public schools - zero diversity and have a religious curriculum. No thanks. We're not talking Shadyside Academy or anything lol.

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Don't get me wrong. One of the reasons we moved out of Beaver so fast was that we didn't want him going to what would literally have been an all white school. But he's had, and is going to have 2-4 more, years of public city schooling. He's being raised by 2 racially aware parents. Everything about him and his behavior shows us he is definitely headed in the right direction socially in regards to race. But if he has a chance to go to NA for middle and highschool why would we say "No thanks, let's send him to Brashear"?

faftorial

Education talk

Postby faftorial » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:01 pm

Is Fox Chapel still the place to live for good schools? I lived there in middle/2 years of high school back in the late 80s and it was one of the best districts in the country. If so, move to Sharpsburg.
From my experience, most schools outside of Pgh city limits in Allegheny county are better once you get to the suburbs. The school districts in the South Hills where I lived were good but maybe that's changed over the years.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Don't get me wrong. One of the reasons we moved out of Beaver so fast was that we didn't want him going to what would literally have been an all white school. But he's had, and is going to have 2-4 more, years of public city schooling. He's being raised by 2 racially aware parents. Everything about him and his behavior shows us he is definitely headed in the right direction socially in regards to race. But if he has a chance to go to NA for middle and highschool why would we say "No thanks, let's send him to Brashear"?
Is this strictly a diversity thing for your ex? Yes, your kid will get something from exposure. But as you say, you’re both racially aware and don’t have racist attitudes, and he’s already grown up in diversity. I grew up in Vermont in a high school with 1 black kid. I think I’m pretty accepting of all people, thanks to my parents. That’s the biggest factor in acceptance. Maybe he loses a little something in relating? Don’t think that would be an issue either though. You grow up with good values, you can relate to most people.

I have no first hand experience in PPS. I taught middle school in Penn Hills, which was tough at times, but not awful. For a school like that, the kids got out of it what they and their parents put into it. Half the kids do well; half the kids don’t. There was exposure to some bad stuff, but good parenting can fix that. Better schools, you have less exposure to gangs, violence, and class disruptions. Probably more exposure to pharmaceutical drugs and elitist attitudes. Again, can be overcome in most cases by parenting.

What’s your goal for your kid’s schooling?

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:28 pm

More on my ex's perfectly sane reasoning for keeping our son in PPS. In no particular order.

PPS highschool would eat my kid alive...

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:29 pm

What’s your goal for your kid’s schooling?
I want him in a school that will be the best fit for him. He's not an athlete. He's creative and artistic and really good at science and math. Is PPS really OK for him if there are other options?

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Comes across as "How can I keep my woke cred but also white flight?"

MrKennethTKangaroo

Education talk

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:50 pm

PPS is a tire fire. Get him the eff out of there if possible. Plenty of opportunities for the little man to interact with other races outside of school.

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:56 pm

PPS is a tire fire. Get him the eff out of there if possible. Plenty of opportunities for the little man to interact with other races outside of school.
That's what I told her. She doesn't care about PPS education statistics. I reminded her that he has 2 racially aware parents and he will have spent 5 years in PPS before going to a suburban middle school. He's going to be fine with his diversity.

Not sure what else I can do to show her. She won't listen to me when I say I've spoken with current PPS teachers, former PPS teachers (neither of whom let their kids go to PPS), or former students.

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:57 pm

Comes across as "How can I keep my woke cred but also white flight?"
This is EXACTLY what it is. I was hoping she wouldn't move past normal social justice awareness and onto ultra woke white woman but, here we are.

EDIT: Wait, are you saying this about me? I give 0 shits about my "woke cred". I'm happy to send the dude into a racist soccermom run school if it means he'll get the best education possible. And if that labels me as "not woke" then so be it. My kid will have his best chance and that's all I care about.

POC have told me that if allies don't use their privilege its a slap in the face to those that don't have it. That includes education.
Last edited by PFiDC on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:58 pm

She seems to be completely unrealistic in this. Did you ask her what areas/schools would be acceptable to her? Is it more that she doesn’t want to deal with “fragile soccer moms”? Sure, in a perfect world each school is racially balanced and kids are exposed to everyone and everything. You need to put your kid in the situation that will let him succeed, socially and academically, regardless of what the kids look like.

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:02 pm

She seems to be completely unrealistic in this. Did you ask her what areas/schools would be acceptable to her? Is it more that she doesn’t want to deal with “fragile soccer moms”? Sure, in a perfect world each school is racially balanced and kids are exposed to everyone and everything. You need to put your kid in the situation that will let him succeed, socially and academically, regardless of what the kids look like.
She said she would be OK with Pittsburgh charter schools or specialized schools like CAPA. Not exactly schools we can just up and decide to send him to.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:07 pm

That’s an interesting prejudice to have. So the worst (theoretically) public school option, charter school, or specialized school. Good luck. How long do you have to decide?

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:12 pm

That’s an interesting prejudice to have. So the worst (theoretically) public school option, charter school, or specialized school. Good luck. How long do you have to decide?
I said I was fine with PPS until Middle School. He's going into 4th grade so I have about 2 years.

Here's the kicker...

She said she was going to pull him out of school because she didn't want him going into a school building yet due to Covid. Fine. I think that's rash but OK I'll agree to it. Yesterday I informed her that Northgate School District, where I live, has an all virtual option. She responded with "I've been thinking it may be best to send him into school after all for his mental health". So when I gave her an out of PPS option that is no cost to us she changed her tune. This is 100% her being over woke. She's so GD woke she's willing to let her own child suffer to prove it.

And it's not like Northgate is some ultra soccer mom district. It's Bellevue and Avalon for god's sake...

robbiestoupe

Education talk

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:43 pm

I have coworkers in PPS districts that are putting their kids in charter schools. You still get the diversity but not all the BS from PPS. And from what I've heard, Alderdice is not a bad option for high school.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Education talk

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:49 pm

I didn't go to the Dice but I dated a girl that went there. based on her experience (and other things ive heard from people), it always seemed like it was the school that most closely resembled how high school is depicted in the movies. all sorts of crowds intermingled into one messy jumble.

PFiDC

Education talk

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:50 pm

I have coworkers in PPS districts that are putting their kids in charter schools. You still get the diversity but not all the BS from PPS. And from what I've heard, Alderdice is not a bad option for high school.
Thanks for this. I am open to hearing about PPS high schools that are better than the rest. I don't want to have to fight her on this so I need to be ready to compromise a little.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Well... I guess I'm an alumnus of a university that doesn't exist anymore?

RonnieFranchise

Education talk

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:17 pm

So I assume Mrs. Franchise's alma mater (Lock Haven) is now part of Pennsylvania Eastern University (with Mansfield and Bloom)?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:18 pm

They haven't announced their new name, to my knowledge.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:25 pm

Well... I guess I'm an alumnus of a university that doesn't exist anymore?
My undergrad and graduate school changed their name and I **** hate the new version.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Yep, my current employer changed to University in 2019 because market research indicated prospective graduate students wanted a Master's degree from a university, not a college.

Meanwhile, we've closed 3 out of 5 graduate programs. :lol: (We are adding a nursing masters in 2023 tho)

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:33 pm

I wonder how nursing classes will do after covid. They have been getting **** on for two years now, and it’s at the point where the people themselves are the problem and not the disease.

count2infinity

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:50 pm

Enrollment across the board for higher ed is down. I think I read something where it peaked in the late 2000’s. It’s only natural that some schools are going to go bye bye. I know it sucks for people that work there, but what are you going to do?