Education talk

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:26 pm

To add, I’m excited to be able to do live lessons starting next week. Our moronic principal finally changed his mind about that. So now kids will actually be able to see the lesson from home and ask questions instead of just watching a video. Think that will be a big help academically, and also be beneficial socially.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:28 pm

My drinking had also increased... not sure if that’s a positive or negative.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Education talk

Postby meow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:32 pm

mini meow has been virtual, but won a lotto selection to go back in person full time on October 5th. He’s in first grade, but just tested as second grade math and third grade reading. The slowness of virtual learning has been an issue for him. He said earlier in the week that he doesn’t feel like he is learning anything new.

Nuge

Education talk

Postby Nuge » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:39 pm

My district is going A and B groups (every other day live and virtual). It hasn't been too bad so far but it's definitely different. The kids don't like it, but they do seem to prefer it to all virtual. We've had one positive case, which was a kid on the football team. The whole team had to quarantine and miss two games.

RonnieFranchise

Education talk

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:27 pm

FILLED OUT TWO FAFSAS BEFORE LUNCHTIME dodints!!!!!!

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:08 pm

😂😂

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 am

I remember filling out a FAFSA for the first time when I transferred from Duquesne to Clarion. My mother did it the first time as I had no idea what was going on. Anyways, I paid my $50 to fill it out. Then I started thinking, "wait... it's just a form to send to the government. Why do I have to pay $50 to just fill out a form?" I looked it up and turns out it was a scam. They used the exact same site address, but with .com instead of .gov and had great SEO, so when I googled "FAFSA" it was the first site that popped up.

At the time, I just said "Oh man... they got me." and I moved on. A year or two later I got a check in the mail refunding my $50 with interest. Apparently they got caught and had to return everything. :lol:

RonnieFranchise

Education talk

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:16 am

So sometime after little franchise #2 was born we realized we would have two in school for (at least) one year. That would be this coming year. On top of that little franchise #1 is at some non zero risk of not finishing on time.

#2’s preferred college choices are CMU and two large out of state public universities, in extremely competitive programs, where out of staters basically get jack **** for financial aid.

Will be moving to a van down by the river soon.

Tomas

Education talk

Postby Tomas » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:02 am

@DigitalGypsy66 : How is academic hiring in your area (academically and geographically)? I just found out that in both Econ and Finance, this year the number of new positions dropped by 67% - the worst job market in history. In Finance - whoever has any openings will rule this year - even places like Michigan Tech (I had to look up where they are - in the northern tip of the Upper Peninsula, 3.5 hours from Green Bay, the closest city with 100+K population :) ) will be able to attract high quality candidates, IMO.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 am

I believe the entire state system is under a hiring freeze, unless it’s an accrediting issue if they lose a faculty position. I’ve seen very few positions advertised in state for my field, which isn’t surprising. No one is losing accreditation if they don’t have enough librarians. :lol:

We’re private, so we aren’t under those financial restrictions...although we have plenty of other financial restrictions. We’re starting a nursing program, so we hired a dean (director) for that. The original two candidates wanted $200K+, so they changed from a school of nursing (which would require a Dean) to a nursing program (which requires a director). Small change, but it saves us $100K. :lol:

Of course, no restrictions on hiring VPs - we’ve got at least two new ones starting this year. :lol:

And my library has the smallest number of staff and librarians we’ve had in the 13 years I’ve been here, but we’re still expected to maintain the same level of service with 1/3 fewer staff. None of this was due to the pandemic, just the culling of positions and switching full time to part time positions when positions are filled. Very irritating.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 am

Shocking

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:47 am

Yeah, my son's middle school at the end of the first quarter had nearly 60% failing grades for online students.

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:25 pm

I was in a meeting (Zoom) with our local district and one of the principals basically said half her virtual students had quit showing up.

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:38 pm

Notice that this doesn't include firing unnecessary administrators.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:05 pm

If you're cutting entire departments, administrators will be on the chopping block as well.

I imagine more of this to come in the near future.

Tomas

Education talk

Postby Tomas » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:41 pm

Any West Virginia people here?

Javier is my ex-colleague (for about 10 years), and the clip is funny. But there seems to be some reason why Baby Yoda is in that clip (I quickly googled WWU + Yoda and found quite a lot of references).

What is the reason behind that connection?

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:07 pm

He's a dork?

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:36 pm

He's a dork?
This is the way.

RonnieFranchise

Education talk

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:57 pm

So sometime after little franchise #2 was born we realized we would have two in school for (at least) one year. That would be this coming year. On top of that little franchise #1 is at some non zero risk of not finishing on time.

#2’s preferred college choices are CMU and two large out of state public universities, in extremely competitive programs, where out of staters basically get jack **** for financial aid.

Will be moving to a van down by the river soon.
6 applications later LF 2 is awaiting decisions. Kid really wants to go to CMU. I think he has what he needs to get in but plenty of well qualified kids get rejected.

Second choice is Illinois then Purdue so at least travel wise hope CMU does me a solid.

Also, found out on top of the FAFSA there is also a thing called the CSS that some schools make you do- it’s like the full financial colonoscopy, as if the FAFSA isn’t bad enough. It fully sucks.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 am

My high school freshman is already getting solicitations from colleges. U of SC (nah, dog) and Rensselaer Poly Tech. A little strange, but I know colleges are scrambling for students even before the pandemic.

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 am

Perhaps they should consider lowering tuition to make them more appealing to the average American household.

RonnieFranchise

Education talk

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 pm

It's pretty obscene. CMU sticker price all in is $76k, their net price calculator shows us $39k after financial aid. PSU, $32k in state. IUP, $25k in state.

My company has a $15k a year scholarship I'm hoping he gets which would really help, but obviously no guarantee.

There's something to be said for learning a trade.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:30 am

The pause on federal student loan payments has been extended to Sept-30. Interest will not accrue in that period.

You could pay on the principle and reduce your overall amount paid, if you wanted.
Another way of looking at it is given inflation and the future value of money it might be better to just leave it be until mandatory payment resumes.

In my case, I should have started repaying the loan on 6/2020. So if I took full advantage I'd have, at minimum, 15 months of deferment.

I'm not good at the math. At 6% interest do you think it makes more sense to take todays money and put it to principle, or to make the final payments in 10 years+15 months?

Seems obvious that over one year, inflation will not catch the 6% interest rate. But I don't know how that scales across the full 10 years.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of the 'buying power' difference of the money used to pay off the loan, when one loan is originated on 6/2020 and the other is originated on 10/2021 and both loans start with the same principle amount and interest rate.

robbiestoupe

Education talk

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:35 am

It's pretty obscene. CMU sticker price all in is $76k, their net price calculator shows us $39k after financial aid. PSU, $32k in state. IUP, $25k in state.

My company has a $15k a year scholarship I'm hoping he gets which would really help, but obviously no guarantee.

I don't have to worry about this for at least 10 more years, but do they factor in 529 plans when figuring out financial aid? I'm wondering if I'm going to lose out overall because we decided to save up.

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 am

I don't have to worry about this for at least 10 more years, but do they factor in 529 plans when figuring out financial aid? I'm wondering if I'm going to lose out overall because we decided to save up.
You're better off with a 529 than without: https://www.savingforcollege.com/articl ... ancial-aid

BTW, that site is what I used when researching this stuff years ago. A++ content.