Education talk

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:42 pm

Should I start an education thread, or should c2i and I just pm each other back and forth to make it easier?
lol, i'm actually considering getting back into the education game (college level... not high school. eff that noise)
What all would you need to do?
I'm trying to move up to middle school. Not that big of a difference for me though.
well, it depends really... If I want to teach at a community college or be an adjunct, I just need to graduate. If I want to teach at a primarily undergrad or at a big university, I'll likely need to do a post-doc position somewhere for another couple years.

Pavel Bure

Education talk

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:49 pm

I do admissions for a college now. Couldn't be happier. Honestly I don't think I'll ever try to get back into actually teaching. Gonna get my MBA for free and move from there.

shafnutz05

Education talk

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:50 pm

I do admissions for a college now. Couldn't be happier. Honestly I don't think I'll ever try to get back into actually teaching. Gonna get my MBA for free and move from there.
I think I would love working for a university. I've been recruiting for much of my life, and have excellent (if I say so myself) interpersonal skills. I'm tired of the rat race.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:58 pm

I think I would love working for a university. I've been recruiting for much of my life, and have excellent (if I say so myself) interpersonal skills. I'm tired of the rat race.
So you're different in person? :slug:

Jofa Guy

Education talk

Postby Jofa Guy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:03 pm

I have a money and banking group project, and we chose quantitative easing as out topic. Comparing foreign countries qe programs with ours. I feel if the us changed to something like the euro (which would never happen) it would decrease inflation and strengthen the dollar.

Anyone have any inputs? I'm still just a college kid and don't know 100% about the economy and monetary system
Last edited by Jofa Guy on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Education? I'm again' it!

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Silentom

Education talk

Postby Silentom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 pm

I recently became employed at Bobby Mo, and I can say without a doubt that I love working for a university. Not in a sports related job or anything, but it is fun times so far. :thumb:

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:55 pm

On their eighth day of deliberations, the jurors convicted 11 of the 12 defendants of racketeering, a felony that carries up to 20 years in prison. Many of the defendants — a mixture of Atlanta public school teachers, testing coordinators and administrators — were also convicted of other charges, such as making false statements, that could add years to their sentences.
High stakes testing, indeed.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/us ... rrer=&_r=0

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:00 pm

I posted this in the political thread because I forgot I made this thread...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersa ... ar-AAakt3k

1. Stanford University will provide free tuition to parents of students who earn less than $125,000 per year — and if they make less than $65,000, they won't have to contribute to room and board costs either.

2. Students are still expected to pay $5,000 toward college costs from summer earnings and working part-time while enrolled in college.

3. The announcement is an expansion of Stanford's old financial aid policy, which previously applied to students from families making less than $100,000 per year.

4. Most universities can't afford to offer such generous financial aid to their students. But they could draw a lesson from the plan's simplicity.
This is cool... I wish I had known about any schools like this when I was applying to college (not sure there were any) as I was in the under $65,000 a year by a large margin.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Yeah, seems like a great idea.

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Man I am predictable. I saw this thread and was going to come post this exact status only to see I had already done so a week ago. :face:

large garlic

Education talk

Postby large garlic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:45 am

That's pretty cool that Stanford is doing that. I know that most of the elite universities have such huge endowments that they could waive tuition for a majority of students, and it wouldn't really have a big negative impact on their bottom line.

count2infinity

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:50 am

That's pretty cool that Stanford is doing that. I know that most of the elite universities have such huge endowments that they could waive tuition for a majority of students, and it wouldn't really have a big negative impact on their bottom line.
They also said that they can afford to do it with so many students coming from wealthier families that don't really care about the cost of the school.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Nice that the Obama's don't send their kids to a place that doesn't believe in high stakes testing. I get the private school, but at least back up your own policy.
The Obamas, for example, send their two daughters to the elite Sidwell Friends School, a private Quaker preK-12 school with campuses in Washington D.C., and Bethesda, Md. Sidwell, like other independent schools, does not bombard its students with high-stakes standardized tests. (It also doesn’t evaluate teachers by the test scores of their students, a policy promoted by the Obama administration.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ans ... zed-tests/

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm taking a break between finishing my masters and starting my doctorate. When I lived in NC I wanted to teach at the local community college to start seeing if formal teaching is something I really want to spend my life doing. I don't have any desire to pursue academia as a lifelong endeavor, I just enjoy instructing and want to teach at the 2-yr/4-yr level.
My issue is that I moved to western WI and they don't really have community colleges, just these poorly organized regional institutes and they don't have anything really available in my area. So now I'm looking at becoming an adjunct online. It's not about the money, I just think it would be fulfilling. I know that online adjuncts are looked down upon in this community but I don't have the same professional goals as you individuals.

I'm just not exactly sure where to start. I have a few specific schools in mind and plan to apply in the next month. I just wonder what departments are looking for. My education, work experience, industry certifications, prior teaching experience (none), whether I'm published (I'm not), if I have any formal instructor credentials, etc. Everyone has to start somewhere but I wonder if I'm so unqualified to teach that it would be a waste of my time and the hiring managers time.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:04 pm

I'd imagine they would have a list of requirements for employment on their website. If you meet those, then no reason not to apply.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Alright, thanks.

Pavel Bure

Education talk

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:15 pm

Starting work on my MBA on Thursday, little nervous.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Tue May 05, 2015 11:42 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J6lyURyVz7k#

Excellent segment by John Oliver on testing.

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 05, 2015 11:48 pm

Testing is of the devil. (I mean that).

It is awful what it does to kids and teachers and in no way is predictive of future (or current) abilities.

Reveutopique

Education talk

Postby Reveutopique » Wed May 06, 2015 3:40 am

I have a money and banking group project, and we chose quantitative easing as out topic. Comparing foreign countries qe programs with ours. I feel if the us changed to something like the euro (which would never happen) it would decrease inflation and strengthen the dollar.

Anyone have any inputs? I'm still just a college kid and don't know 100% about the economy and monetary system
That piqued my intetest.
Don't know if you read this but it's interesting.
The Washington Post

Wonkblog
By Matt O'Brien March 13

(Reuters/Dado Ruvic)
Next summer is looking like the best time to take that European vacation you've been thinking about. That's because the euro has already fallen to a 12-year low of $1.06, and should keep falling for at least another year. In fact, it shouldn't be long until the dollar is worth more.

A brief history

The last time the dollar was worth more than the euro was all the way back in December 2002, just three years after the common European currency came into existence. But in the years after that, the Euro gained strength as the continent imported less and exported more. The euro soared to an all-time high of $1.59. It was enough that, in 2007, former Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan wondered if the euro would replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency--in other words, the benchmark that everyone uses in case of emergency--and even supermodel Gisele Bundchen reportedly insisted on being paid in euros rather than dollars. That's quite a consensus. But it turns out that these reports of the dollar's death were greatly exaggerated. Since then, the euro has fallen 24 percent against the dollar in less than a year, and made everyone forget its grand ambitions.

What happened?
Robert Frost can help us here. Two monetary policies have diverged in, well, not a wood, and Europe has finally taken the path well traveled by. Specifically, to boost Europe's extraordinary weak economy, the European Central Bank is buying bonds with newly-printed money, aka quantitative easing, while the Federal Reserve is far enough along that it's getting ready to raise rates. That means interest rates are falling, sometimes into negative territory, in Europe, and, at least on the short end, rising in the U.S. Think about it like this. Would you rather buy a German 10-year bond that pays 0.25 percent or a U.S. 10-year bond that pays 2.1 percent? Investors, especially big European ones, are answering that by moving their money out of euros and into dollars. And voilà, the euro has fallen from $1.39 last year to $1.06 today.

The simpler way to think about this, though, is that the U.S. economy is in a lot better shape than Europe's. Unemployment is 5.5 percent here and falling fast, while it's 11.2 percent there and barely falling at all. Now a stronger economy should mean a stronger currency, because it needs higher interest rates to keep inflation in check—which should make it a more attractive place to put money. But, as Europe has found out, the opposite isn't true. Higher rates don't make your economy strong if it's actually weak. And even though that will push your currency up in the short run, it will make it fall even more in the longer one. That's the mistake the ECB made—twice, actually!—in 2011, when it raised rates to fight some fleeting oil inflation. The result was a double-dip recession that almost tore the common currency union apart, and has only just ended. To make up for that, the ECB has had to do more than it otherwise might have, cutting interest rates into negative territory and buying €60 billion of bonds a month. The euro, in other words, is falling so much more today, because it didn't fall like it should have yesterday.

The U.S., meanwhile, has been printing money like it should have, at least most of the time. It started QE in 2008, expanded it in 2009, restarted it in 2010, and re-restarted it in 2012 with a promise to keep going until unemployment came down. It worked. Now all these starts and stops are why the dollar kept going up and down and up again these past few years, but now that it's over, it's only going up. Indeed, the Fed is done buying bonds, and, unlike almost every other central bank, is preparing to raise rates. That's pushed the dollar up against every currency, but especially the euro now that the ECB is printing them.

How low will the euro go?
That depends on how much, if at all, the Fed raises rates, and how long the ECB buys bonds. On the one hand, there's no sign of any inflation or bubbly behavior that would force the Fed to raise rates. But on the other, the Fed has been pretty clear that it wants to start normalizing policy in June because unemployment is already normal-ish. And on top of that, New York Fed President William Dudley has even said they might have to hike rates in quick succession if long-term rates don't go up too—which seems pretty likely with Europe's low bond yields pushing ours down. The ECB has promised to keep buying bonds until at least September 2016, and even longer than that if inflation is still too low. Now Europe's inflation numbers are already picking up a little bit, but, as Paul Krugman points out, markets seem to believe it will be a good while longer before Europe's economy—and by extension, its monetary policy—is anywhere close to normal. Add it all up, and Deutsche Bank expects the euro to keep falling to $0.90 by the end of 2016 and $0.85 by the end of 2017.

So now you know when to buy those tickets.

Jofa Guy

Education talk

Postby Jofa Guy » Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 am

That piqued my intetest.
Don't know if you read this but it's interesting.
The Washington Post

Wonkblog
By Matt O'Brien March 13

would replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency--in other words, the benchmark that everyone uses in case of emergency--and even supermodel Gisele Bundchen reportedly insisted on being paid in euros rather than dollars. That's quite a consensus. But it turns out that these reports of the dollar's death were greatly exaggerated. Since then, the euro has fallen 24 percent against the dollar in less than a year, and made everyone forget its grand ambitions.

What happened?
Robert Frost can help us here. Two monetary policies have diverged in, well, not a wood, and Europe has finally taken the path well traveled by. Specifically, to boost Europe's extraordinary weak economy, the European Central Bank is buying bonds with newly-printed money, aka quantitative easing, while the Federal Reserve is far enough along that it's getting ready to raise rates. That means interest rates are falling, sometimes into negative territory, in Europe, and, at least on the short end, rising in the U.S. Think about it like this. Would you rather buy a German 10-year bond that pays 0.25 percent or a U.S. 10-year bond that pays 2.1 percent? Investors, especially big European ones, are answering that by moving their money out of euros and into dollars. And voilà, the euro has fallen from $1.39 last year to $1.06 today.

The simpler way to think about this, though, is that the U.S. economy is in a lot better shape than Europe's. Unemployment is 5.5 percent here and falling fast, while it's 11.2 percent there and barely falling at all. Now a stronger economy should mean a stronger currency, because it needs higher interest rates to keep inflation in check—which should make it a more attractive place to put money. But, as Europe has found out, the opposite isn't true. Higher rates don't make your economy strong if it's actually weak. And even though that will push your currency up in the short run, it will make it fall even more in the longer one. That's the mistake the ECB made—twice, actually!—in 2011, when it raised rates to fight some fleeting oil inflation. The result was a double-dip recession that almost tore the common currency union apart, and has only just ended. To make up for that, the ECB has had to do more than it otherwise might have, cutting interest rates into negative territory and buying €60 billion of bonds a month. The euro, in other words, is falling so much more today, because it didn't fall like it should have yesterday.

The U.S., meanwhile, has been printing money like it should have, at least most of the time. It started QE in 2008, expanded it in 2009, restarted it in 2010, and re-restarted it in 2012 with a promise to keep going until unemployment came down. It worked. Now all these starts and stops are why the dollar kept going up and down and up again these past few years, but now that it's over, it's only going up. Indeed, the Fed is done buying bonds, and, unlike almost every other central bank, is preparing to raise rates. That's pushed the dollar up against every currency, but especially the euro now that the ECB is printing them.

How low will the euro go?
That depends on how much, if at all, the Fed raises rates, and how long the ECB buys bonds. On the one hand, there's no sign of any inflation or bubbly behavior that would force the Fed to raise rates. But on the other, the Fed has been pretty clear that it wants to start normalizing policy in June because unemployment is already normal-ish. And on top of that, New York Fed President William Dudley has even said they might have to hike rates in quick succession if long-term rates don't go up too—which seems pretty likely with Europe's low bond yields pushing ours down. The ECB has promised to keep buying bonds until at least September 2016, and even longer than that if inflation is still too low. Now Europe's inflation numbers are already picking up a little bit, but, as Paul Krugman points out, markets seem to believe it will be a good while longer before Europe's economy—and by extension, its monetary policy—is anywhere close to normal. Add it all up, and Deutsche Bank expects the euro to keep falling to $0.90 by the end of 2016 and $0.85 by the end of 2017.

So now you know when to buy those tickets.
Yeah I read about half of that but as I mentioned out group project was on Wednesday so It was the same thing lol.

Our project was about the impacts of quantitative easing (qe) in the United States and how it could be different in the euro zone (not the eu).

We started ours in 2008, the Eurozone started theirs last month. Same goals of stimulating the economy, lowering long term interest rates, and boosting confidence in markets. The Eurozone also needs to raise their dangerously low inflation rate.

In the states, the GDP growth raise rose from -8% in 2008 to like 7 or 8% in 2010. I think it's like 2% now which is ok but for the 1.2T we put in some people see it as a failure. Interest rates went down and the stock market went up, which was good as well. However, inflation didn't rise that much and it's not what we hoped for.

We mentioned a possible reason for this is because the Fed is paying banks to hold their excess reserves instead of lending them out. So the banks look profitable and might not lead to inflation. The ECB actually charges banks to hold reserves, so they'll lend more money out which hopefully will be spent and stimulate the economy to get higher inflation.

Other reasons why inflation could rise in the Eurozone besides the negative interest rates charged on banks by the ECB include an underutilized labor market (decreasing unemployment equals higher inflation based on the Phillips Curve) and the fact that most of the 19 banks in the Eurozone are more dependent on a central bank than the US is, (so they're more susceptible to politics increasing inflation in a stupid way)

I think that QE will be more successful in the Eurozone than here

count2infinity

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 06, 2015 11:09 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J6lyURyVz7k#

Excellent segment by John Oliver on testing.
I know that when I do have kids, if the standardized testing system is still in place, we will be opting out of it every single year. Companies are making too much money on testing for the government to scale it back at this point. It's really unfortunate.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Wed May 06, 2015 2:12 pm

That is what it will take to end testing. It basically has to be. mass of parents though, like has started happening in some places. One reason making it more difficult is that part of a schools "grade" is the percentage of kids taking the test. A lot of parents are happy with the school and don't want to screw it over by having kids not take the test.