Education talk

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:58 pm

Make tuition reasonable?

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:05 pm

Preposterous.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:15 pm

Classic dodint. Always the jokester.

skullman80

Education talk

Postby skullman80 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:29 pm

More people going to trade school instead of college would be a good thing.

You can make similar money in some trades without the debt.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:31 pm

States began defunding higher education back after the 2008 recession. Deregulation of student loans around this time made it easier for students to borrow money... And away we go.

Nursing will be interesting, and it's something my employer should have done ten years ago. We are starting an allied health program during the worst health crisis in a hundred years, which if you read my rantings in the Jobs thread, is about par for the course.

I'm hearing of hospitals in our area offering $100 an hour bonuses, on top of their base salary. Not sure how we'll compete with that.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:21 am

So I've been seeing these signs all around my community, and I have no doubt that these 4 will be voted in to the school board...

If you go to their "website" it all seems well and good: https://www.win4bellefonte.com/ I don't think there's anything on there that a typical person would disagree with. Their 1-5 points all sound pretty good. Then I got a letter/flyer in the mail from them last night. Hoooooooly sh*t. The stuff that was on there didn't resemble anything that is on their website or FB page.

It was all about two things: 1. CRT and how it's terrible and we need to remove it from the school and 2. The removal of the mascot "Red Raider" with the Indian head as the logo. They want to "save" the mascot and not give into "cancel culture".

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:24 am

Is CRT even taught at that school? I'm assuming not...

robbiestoupe

Education talk

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:26 am

Sounds a bit like our school district. Successful football coach gets fired in part due to school board decision. School board positions are up for election. New group of school board candidates are running on a ticket that is basically all about bringing the old coach back.

Perhaps the coach was wrongly ousted. And maybe the existing board members were complicit with the firing debacle. But I'd rather they be more concerned about...you know...the school

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 am

Source of the post But I'd rather they be more concerned about...you know...the school
:thumb:

We're lucky in that our school district's board is filled with competent individuals who seem to always want to put the students first. It's one of the main reasons my wife and I chose this township when we moved here.

count2infinity

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 am

My cousin is a senior in the school district right now. I'll ask her, but my feeling is their history classes haven't changed much from when we all went through high school (obviously not old timey people like factorial :slug: )... slavery was bad, but then Abraham Lincoln and MLK fixed it and we're all good now.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am

It's so very cliche, but my history classes were taught by the basketball and JV football coaches. I don't remember a single thing either one of them taught. And I was interested in history and ultimately earned a bachelor's in history.

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 am

I remember my English, Math, and World History teachers, but couldn't even tell you if my History teacher was a man or a woman.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:48 am

We had an awesome government/civics teacher.

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 am

Our World History teacher in high school was goofy, and we all loved him. He also bartended on the side, so a lot of us saw him after HS. Our final grade in his class was based on us building a weapon using nothing but nature, and for extra credit, hitting a target (cardboard box) from 10-20 yards away. That was a hell of a lot of fun, especially watching how poorly some of my classmates could aim. I nailed it with my stone tomahawk.

count2infinity

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 am

It's so very cliche, but my history classes were taught by the basketball and JV football coaches. I don't remember a single thing either one of them taught. And I was interested in history and ultimately earned a bachelor's in history.
:lol:

Freshman year: Varsity Baseball coach (World History)
Sophomore year: 70 year old lady who gave us all worksheets and sat at her desk all day (World Cultures)
Junior year: Varsity Track coach (American history, but largely just focused on WWII for some reason)
Senior year: 2nd year on the job lady fresh out of college (Principles of Democracy)

MR25

Education talk

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:56 am

9th grade: angry old woman about 2 years from retirement (American History from Revolution to WWI, I think) and hippy guy with giant beard (European History up to WWII, I think. We covered a lot of Russian stuff)

10th grade: all I can remember is a big dude with a Lincoln-style beard who was a huge fan of the Simpsons and Seinfeld (World Affairs)... I feel like there should've been one more since we switched SS courses every semester but I can't remember what the first one was.

11th: the token black teacher in the Social Studies department (US Government) and a football+baseball coach (US history from end of WWI to present)

12th: Baseball coach (European history from WWII onward) and a former cheerleader alumni of the school (Psychology).

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:23 am

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:56 am

Saw that a few weeks ago, still funny. Penn kids are so out of touch with reality.

faftorial

Education talk

Postby faftorial » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:04 pm

My cousin is a senior in the school district right now. I'll ask her, but my feeling is their history classes haven't changed much from when we all went through high school (obviously not old timey people like factorial :slug: )... slavery was bad, but then Abraham Lincoln and MLK fixed it and we're all good now.
At my Catholic HS I was never taught creationism but was taught evolution in biology.

Tomas

Education talk

Postby Tomas » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:21 pm

2023 MBA rankings are up. Our Walton newly redesigned program (which was not eligible for ranking for the 3 years after re-design) re-entered at No. 64! (Not bad for a new program, though I believe we have ambitions for Top 40.)

Katz at 55
OSU at 94! :) (the other OSU at 39)
Penn State at 33
CMU at 16

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

Ad@m

Education talk

Postby Ad@m » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:42 pm

@shafnutz05
A $5 million gift from an anonymous donor is bringing new and improved opportunities to Juniata College.

“The donor was very specific in the fact that they love Central Pennsylvania,” said Jim Watt, vice president for advancement at Juniata College. “They love the outdoors, they love all the things that our area and region has to offer.”

What began as a vacation in Huntingdon County, turned into an investment in Juniata College students’ futures.

“What [the donor] specifically wanted is for our students to go out and live and learn and have fun in that environment,” said Watt.

About 40 students graduate from Juniata College with majors in environmental science each year. Watt said this funding can help open doors for even more students.

“We want to make sure that students have access to education, they have access to the ability to study the environment, so we’re going to do some scholarships,” said Watt.

Once on campus, students can study at the Raystown Field House, a living learning hub for environmental research. Watt said it’s a program that always has a waitlist.

“One of the great things that these dollars are going to do, is its going to expand that center so we can have more students studying out of the field station for a whole semester,” said Watt. “We’re going to improve that area and introduce some new, really cool lab equipment that students can go and study, and kind of play with and learn from.”

Watt said it’s not only an investment in the environment but also their students who will help preserve it.

RonnieFranchise

Education talk

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:31 am

2023 MBA rankings are up. Our Walton newly redesigned program (which was not eligible for ranking for the 3 years after re-design) re-entered at No. 64! (Not bad for a new program, though I believe we have ambitions for Top 40.)

Katz at 55
OSU at 94! :) (the other OSU at 39)
Penn State at 33
CMU at 16

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings
Providence #100 (tie) part time MBA dodints!

shafnutz05

Education talk

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:35 pm

shafnutz05
A $5 million gift from an anonymous donor is bringing new and improved opportunities to Juniata College.

“The donor was very specific in the fact that they love Central Pennsylvania,” said Jim Watt, vice president for advancement at Juniata College. “They love the outdoors, they love all the things that our area and region has to offer.”

What began as a vacation in Huntingdon County, turned into an investment in Juniata College students’ futures.

“What [the donor] specifically wanted is for our students to go out and live and learn and have fun in that environment,” said Watt.

About 40 students graduate from Juniata College with majors in environmental science each year. Watt said this funding can help open doors for even more students.

“We want to make sure that students have access to education, they have access to the ability to study the environment, so we’re going to do some scholarships,” said Watt.

Once on campus, students can study at the Raystown Field House, a living learning hub for environmental research. Watt said it’s a program that always has a waitlist.

“One of the great things that these dollars are going to do, is its going to expand that center so we can have more students studying out of the field station for a whole semester,” said Watt. “We’re going to improve that area and introduce some new, really cool lab equipment that students can go and study, and kind of play with and learn from.”

Watt said it’s not only an investment in the environment but also their students who will help preserve it.
This is fantastic! :thumb:
It wasn't me.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:06 pm

*sigh*

My school won the woke Olympics again:

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — When classes begin at Mitchell Hamline School of Law this fall, the incoming class will include Maureen Onyelobi, who is currently incarcerated.

Onyelobi will be the first incarcerated person to ever enroll in an American Bar Association-approved law school in the U.S., according to a release from Mitchell Hamline.

The law school made the announcement on Monday, saying that the school intends to enroll more incarcerated people in the coming years.

Onyelobi learned she was accepted on June 9 when the President of Mitchell Hamline, Anthony Niedwiecki, visited her at Minnesota Correctional Facility in Shakopee to share the news. The school says her tuition will be paid by private fundraising and scholarship assistance.

Maureen Onyelobi (credit: Mitchell Hamline School of Law)

Onyelobi will attend classes entirely online. This comes after the American Bar Association granted Hamline permission to allow qualified incarcerated people to enroll in its law program. The school also says they are now able to admit up to two incarcerated students each year.

Hamline says the effort is almost three years in the making. The university collaborated with the Legal Revolution, a nonprofit that aims to educate incarcerated people across Minnesota.

According to state records, Onyelobi was convicted of first-degree premeditated murder in 2014. She was sentenced to life in prison and could serve up to 40 years in prison.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/06/ ... in-the-us/
I'm not against incarcerated enrollment. There is room for that for certain offenders. However; choosing one serving life in prison for premeditated murder is stupid from every angle. It's a waste of resources and takes a spot away from someone that might have the capacity to reform. It's gross.

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:08 pm

Source of the post I'm not against incarcerated enrollment. There is room for that for certain offenders. However; choosing one serving life in prison for premeditated murder is stupid from every angle. It's a waste of resources and takes a spot away from someone that might have the capacity to reform. It's gross.
Completely agree. This makes no sense.