Education talk

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 am

@Freddy Rumsen once your are Dr. Freddy Rumsen, would you stay with your current church or move on to the Ivory Tower of academia? What's the endgame for your PhD? :lol:

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Got the highest grade in the class on my Corporate Accounting final exam. Pretty happy to have a silver lining on what has been a dismal semester otherwise. Wooooo!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Congrats!

Tomas

Education talk

Postby Tomas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:47 pm

I know that there are people on this board with ties to the State of South Carolina:

Recently, I had a dinner with two professors from Clemson who adamantly claimed that the State of SC recognizes "dual-flagship" university system and that Clemson is, in fact, a "flagship university" in South Carolina (alongside USC). I have never heard Clemson being mentioned anywhere near the word "flagship" before, but I am nice so I did not protest. :)

Is Clemson "flagship" or not?

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:52 pm

@columbia

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Is this one of those things like where places like Colgate like to pretend that they're one of the ivy schools?

grunthy

Education talk

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Clemson is a top 100 college in the US I believe.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Is this one of those things like where places like Colgate Saint Vincent College like to pretend that they're one of the ivy schools?
I heard this about once a week the entire time I was there. How did it work out? Shortly after I left they started eliminating scholarships to fund a football team nobody has heard of since.

Shyster

Education talk

Postby Shyster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Clemson—from the Norwegian, meaning "son of Clem."

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Is this one of those things like where places like Colgate Saint Vincent College like to pretend that they're one of the ivy schools?
I heard this about once a week the entire time I was there. How did it work out? Shortly after I left they started eliminating scholarships to fund a football team nobody has heard of since.
I'm actually banned from Saint Vincent's campus. /csb

Lemon Berry Lobster

Education talk

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Go on...

shafnutz05

Education talk

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Banned by the Pope if I had to guess

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Go on...
I played soccer in college at a school in St Vincent's conference before I went to Pitt.

To make a long story short we were playing them the last game of my sophomore year and I was a goalkeeper and a dude ran me over and the next time he came down the field he tried to run me over again and I just grabbed him by the collar and tossed him on the ground. He got up swinging and muscle memory took over from there and after I put him on the ground there was a bench-clearing brawl and I got banned from campus.

I also got kicked off my team and transferred to Pitt, it is all downhill from there.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Education talk

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:44 pm

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Pitt was your punishment?

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Basically. #h2p

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:04 am

I know that there are people on this board with ties to the State of South Carolina:

Recently, I had a dinner with two professors from Clemson who adamantly claimed that the State of SC recognizes "dual-flagship" university system and that Clemson is, in fact, a "flagship university" in South Carolina (alongside USC). I have never heard Clemson being mentioned anywhere near the word "flagship" before, but I am nice so I did not protest. :)

What does it mean to be a “flagship university”? I mean, it’s a decent school. Nice campus and great little area. I’d say it’s one of two schools that really matter in SC. That said, my daughter is applying there as well as UNC, and I’m really hoping she ends up at UNC.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 am

I am a Clemson alumni, and proud of it, but that's the first time I've heard of the dual flagship thing.

Clemson is superior academically and in most other metrics (ACT/SAT scores, alumni giving, % of tenure track faculty, advanced degrees awarded etc.) compared to the University of South Carolina, except for USC's Darla Moore School of Business.

I have a feeling those professors were selling Clemson to someone that may not know about all of those metrics. Officially, USC is the flagship university, but Clemson is superior. (And I have a MA from USC as well).

As a side note: I loathe calling U of South Carolina USC, but it was founded before the University of Southern California...so I don't have a case. :lol:

Tomas

Education talk

Postby Tomas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:35 pm

I have a feeling those professors were selling Clemson to someone that may not know about all of those metrics. Officially, USC is the flagship university, but Clemson is superior. (And I have a MA from USC as well).

This! :lol: Those two professors are good acquaintances of mine. (We are all from business schools, so we are aware of the fact that USC Moore>UofA Walton>Clemson CoB, at least in terms of resources, salaries...) However, the rather innocent question along the likes "so how do you co-exist with USC resource-wise?" IMMEDIATELY put them in the "automatic defense mode" and they started citing all the stats you mentioned to definitely PROVE Clemson>>>USC! :)

(Now, I know the "automatic defense mode" all too well, because every time anybody related to Fayetteville and/or University of Arkansas hears "Oh, poor you, you have to live in Arkansas" the trigger mechanism makes us instantly spew numbers like "Fayetteville is No. 3 Best Place to Live according to US News and World Report, No. X best college town, No. Y best place to raise a family, No. Z best farmers market... :twisted: )

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:38 pm

USNWR just lost all credibility, imo

;)

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:49 pm

"Living in the South must be terrible." -- Yankees

"It is going to be if y'all don't stop moving here and bringing your Yankee-stink with you." -- Southerners

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:53 pm

I love the geography. ;)

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 pm

I'd rather live in the South than the Midwest, that's for damn sure.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Education talk

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:04 pm

Can't be worse than philly.

Tomas

Education talk

Postby Tomas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 pm

I'd rather live in the South than the Midwest, that's for damn sure.
Well, Fayetteville is a Midwest city in a (somewhat) Southern state... :cry: