Soccer Discussion

Postby Pavement » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:48 am

wow...
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
That is some awesome skill

Kraftster

Soccer Discussion

Postby Kraftster » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:00 am

Hopefully the Oscar/Ospina incident provides the ammunition necessary for the concussion protocol to be taken seriously and enforced. It was pretty clear he had no business going back on the field.
Also, should have definitely been a penalty.

meecrofilm

Soccer Discussion

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Went to a Riverhounds game for the first time this past weekend. It was better than I expected it to be. The atmosphere was pretty good -- there was even a group of fans with drums and banners and chants/songs going throughout the game to give it that authentic feel. :P There was also some quality play to be found at points. They won 5-1, and some of the goals were pretty nice, particularly a rising blast from around 25 yards out. :thumb:

RonnieFranchise

Soccer Discussion

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:21 pm

We were short a bunch of kids at practice for the U12 team my son plays for and I assist on tonight. So we decided to play 5 on 5 coaches vs players.

I don't see how I'm getting up in the morning. Suffice to say I'm not 12, or 20, or 30, or 40 anymore.

tifosi77

Soccer Discussion

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Barca 6 - Getafe 0

Video highlights

https://www.facebook.com/SquawkaFootbal ... 085287672/

Mans v childrens.

large garlic

Soccer Discussion

Postby large garlic » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Went to a Riverhounds game for the first time this past weekend. It was better than I expected it to be. The atmosphere was pretty good -- there was even a group of fans with drums and banners and chants/songs going throughout the game to give it that authentic feel. :P There was also some quality play to be found at points. They won 5-1, and some of the goals were pretty nice, particularly a rising blast from around 25 yards out. :thumb:
Nice. I keep meaning to go. It kind of bummed me out last year when the team declared bankruptcy, and I felt like there wasn't much point getting attached if the team was about to fold anyhow.

Tomas

Soccer Discussion

Postby Tomas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:03 pm

So I guess I know a LGPer for whom this Wednesday's German Cup semifinal featuring a certain 3rd league team will most likely be the game of the year... :)
http://www.onlajny.com/match/index/date ... /id/143548

Gaucho

Soccer Discussion

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:55 am

So I guess I know a LGPer for whom this Wednesday's German Cup semifinal featuring a certain 3rd league team will most likely be the game of the year... :)
http://www.onlajny.com/match/index/date ... /id/143548

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Soccer Discussion

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Discovered my family was from Stuttgart (we didn't know past my grandfather where we were from until Monday of this week)...excited I have someone to root for in the Bundesliga...discovers VFB's Stuttgart's league position. oh...

columbia

Soccer Discussion

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:17 pm

And all this time I thought Gaucho was from Bloomfield, not Bielefeld.

Pavement

Soccer Discussion

Postby Pavement » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Good result for Hull in the EPL last night. Disappointing from Liverpool though.

Leicester v Chelsea on TV tonight. Expecting a Chelsea win which I think will clinch them the title.

Pavement

Soccer Discussion

Postby Pavement » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:14 pm

Actually I think Arsenal can still technically catch them but very unlikely.

Gaucho

Soccer Discussion

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Welp.

Avyran

Soccer Discussion

Postby Avyran » Sat May 02, 2015 11:36 am

Liverpool vs QPR - the battle of "who can suck less."

Avyran

Soccer Discussion

Postby Avyran » Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm

And the winner goes to late-entry Manchester United!
A few more random highlights from the day in the spoiler.

Pavement

Soccer Discussion

Postby Pavement » Sun May 03, 2015 4:07 am

Newcastle are a train wreck just now. Carver accused one of his players of getting sent off on purpose.

Looking forward to the Spurs v Man City game today.

Freddy Rumsen

Soccer Discussion

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 03, 2015 8:40 am

Two things:

1) The Bundesliga is the best football league in the world (emphasis on football).

2) What is Cordoba's keeper doing in that box to wear out a sliding pit in the middle of the 6 yard-box?

Avyran

Soccer Discussion

Postby Avyran » Sun May 03, 2015 11:19 am

The German environments are amazing to me. However, the dominance of Bayern Munich is worse than Real/Barca. Couple that with an inability to legally watch the games, and my interest in the Bundesliga is not very high. I'd like to watch the games though; it seems to be an enjoyable league like you said, albeit more physical than some.

Chelsea played Crystal Palace in an important game. Some highlights from the game (like normal, pulling them from reddit - there's a lot more in the thread)...
Zaha's decent.
Chelsea scored on a penalty attempt... sorta.
Close chance for CP - I liked this because it clearly shows the spin Puncheon puts on the volley.

large garlic

Soccer Discussion

Postby large garlic » Sun May 03, 2015 11:24 am

It's been a foregone conclusion for a while, but it still sucked watching Chelsea clinch the title.

At the other end of the table, how horrible is Newcastle? They're in real danger of going down.

large garlic

Soccer Discussion

Postby large garlic » Sun May 03, 2015 11:28 am

I'd definitely watch Bundesliga games if they were more readily available. My interest in the EPL is pretty much due to it being the only top 4 league widely available on TV.

Pavement

Soccer Discussion

Postby Pavement » Sun May 03, 2015 12:05 pm

We are overloaded with games over here and it's great to be able to catch big games from a wide variety of leagues.

Avyran

Soccer Discussion

Postby Avyran » Sun May 03, 2015 12:21 pm

I'd definitely watch Bundesliga games if they were more readily available. My interest in the EPL is pretty much due to it being the only top 4 league widely available on TV.
Yep. I agree with this (and am jealous of you, Pavement :P ). I'd probably pick Dortmund as my #1 team due to Kagawa + the incredible fan support there, but I can't really watch the league at all. BeIn only covers French+Spanish soccer, NBC only EPL.

Speaking of EPL... I really like this goal.
Great run by Aguero, and a great pass by Silva. Fairly standard goal, but I love the lead-up.
Does the Bundesliga have a show like the Premier League Review Show? One great thing about the show is that it shows the lead-up for most of the goals, giving 10-15 seconds of context most of the time. I'd happily / illegally download the German review show if it existed.

Pavement

Soccer Discussion

Postby Pavement » Sun May 03, 2015 12:58 pm

I agree that Bayern make that league a one-horse race most of the time and that do tend to cherry pick the best players from other teams.

The atmosphere looks amazing though!

Gaucho

Soccer Discussion

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 03, 2015 1:30 pm

Does the Bundesliga have a show like the Premier League Review Show? One great thing about the show is that it shows the lead-up for most of the goals, giving 10-15 seconds of context most of the time. I'd happily / illegally download the German review show if it existed.
It does: the Sportschau. Not sure about downloads, though.

Freddy Rumsen

Soccer Discussion

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 03, 2015 2:39 pm

The German environments are amazing to me. However, the dominance of Bayern Munich is worse than Real/Barca. Couple that with an inability to legally watch the games, and my interest in the Bundesliga is not very high. I'd like to watch the games though; it seems to be an enjoyable league like you said, albeit more physical than some.

Chelsea played Crystal Palace in an important game. Some highlights from the game (like normal, pulling them from reddit - there's a lot more in the thread)...
Zaha's decent.
Chelsea scored on a penalty attempt... sorta.
Close chance for CP - I liked this because it clearly shows the spin Puncheon puts on the volley.
I disagree on Bayern's dominance being worse than Real/Barca. Unlike Spain or England in Germany you have a Stuttgart or Wolfsburg that comes through and win a league title every now and then. You haven't seen something like that since Blackburn Rovers twenty years ago in England.

Fox bought the rights to the Bundesliga for 2015/16 so we should get more it in the States.