Most Embarrassing Moment Thread (a.k.a. The Agony of Defeat Thread)

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely place that in the "win" column.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Haha, I was going to say that, but thought it might come off as dooshy. :fist:

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:43 pm

After a penguins game I once walked into the elevator at the Civic arena at the Igloo level and was headed down so as to leave the building. The elevator was full of people from the corporate box level. I didn't really look up to see anyone's face and everyone to a step back to let me fit in. As I got on the elevator I was looking at the floor so as not to step on anyone's toes.
There were some very expensive shoes in the back of the elevator pointed toward me. If you've ever been in that elevator you'd know that it had doors on the front and the back. The ground floor, where we were headed, opened to the rear. So the guy with the expensive shoes was facing the wrong direction. I was irritated that this ignorant corporate type didn't know which direction to face. Must be his first time attending a hockey game. As I raised my glance upwards I noticed it was an Armani suit. That just pissed me off more. Privileged dadhole. Finally I turned my gaze higher and looked into his face...

... "Hello Mario" was all I could muster. My disdain must have been obvious. As must have been the look of surprise when I realized who it was being directed towards... He just smiled back and said "hello".

(This was when he had non Hodgkin's lymphoma)

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Haha, I was going to say that, but thought it might come off as dooshy. :fist:
Thanks. :lol:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Although, I guess I could see the embarrassment aspect in that he let his anger get the best of him, and realized the pregnant woman could've been watching the whole time.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Back in my high school calculus class we had a homework assignment on functions that I didn't bother to do because 1. The teacher rarely checked them and 2. I was struggling with this particular lesson. For some reason she decided to give a surprise pop-quiz where everyone in the class went to the front of the class to write one problem on the board, and we would receive points based on how well we did.

We are very early into the quiz, and there was one problem that no one wanted to volunteer to do because it was one of those trick math problems that weren't like the rest. Since no one raised their hand, the teacher decided to volunteer me to tackle this problem. I sat frozen in my seat in fear for seemingly 5 minutes trying to convince her to give me another problem, but it didn't work. Some of the other kids in my class started to cheer me on saying "You can do this." Mostly everyone else would have had this written already and simply had to copy their work onto the board, but I had nothing so I had to wing it. I bombed worse than anything that I had ever done. I had no clue what to do, the teacher even tried to help me as much as she could until finally she told me to sit down. I've never felt more stupid in my life. I can't even accurately describe the atmosphere of that classroom while I was doing the problem. It was BAD, everyone knew it, and wanted it to end. It was like Apollo Creed getting beaten to death by Drago in Rocky IV.

When I got back to my seat, I tried so hard not to cry, I was that embarrassed. Everyone else proceeded to do very well on the quiz considering they didn't have to do the hardest problem in the exercise. I had lunch the next period, and one of my friends said to me, "Man, if that was me up there I would have cried." It was that bad.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm

That reminds me of a speech class we had to take in 8th grade or so. The teacher, she was a real hardass, the rumor was she was a former drill instructor that turned to teaching. Super strict in the way that she made a point of not just telling you that you're wrong, but exactly how. We had an assignment to memorize a poem and recite it in front of the class. In my arrogance I chose The Raven by Poe. :lol: She told me not to, I told her I would be fine. I wasn't fine. Somewhere long before that Plutonian Shore I fizzled out and had to return to my seat. As I was creeping back to my desk she announced that I was the only one in the grade to not finish their poem. Blah.

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:44 pm

So you build up that she is strict, she tries to help you out, you ignore her, then you fail. You plant bamboo, you get bamboo...forever.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Oh, yeah, for sure. It was my fault all the way. Most other teachers would've coddled me, but I chose to poke the bear.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Haha agreed, that's great

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Mark Arcobello scored on me from just on their side of the red line. I lost it in the seats...I swear.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Humblebrag

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:58 pm

Senior year, in baseball section semifinals. We're down 3 or 4, can't remember, and I'm already 2-3 in the game. But they go to their bullpen and bring out this kid who scored the winning goal against us in the soccer REGIONAL semifinals and ended our high school soccer careers. I was hellbent on revenge, but unfortunately this kid threw 90+ (he went on to play D1 baseball) and that was much faster than anything I hit before.

There were men on first and second for us and our coach knew I was a good bunter, so he had me lay one down and had the kid on second stealing too, assuming I'd get it down the line...nope. I was so unprepared for his velocity that I lined the bunt almost over the pitchers head...unfortunately he caught it and doubled the guy who was stealing third. Considering the stage, I felt like a piece of ****.

I shouldn't feel too bad though because the pitcher struck out the numbers 2, 3 and 4 hitters right after to end our high school baseball careers too. What a ******

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm

The moment your FIL sees the business end of what's brought about his 3 grandchildren. He was playing hide and seek with my kids as I was getting out of the shower and thought they were in there hiding. SURPRISE!!!

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:33 am

Years ago I used to work for the state part time as a civil service test admin. We had a small room in back that was set up specifically for those who fell under the qualification of being an ADA candidate. The room was isolated from the rest of the testing center and was very rarely used. Anyways, me and the other person that I was working with that had were having a discussion about setting up for the next group of testers coming and one of the people testing turned around and gave us this loud "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" This happened three times before I finally told the other dude to meet me back in the ADA room. So we get back there and I unleashed a profanity-laced rant about this person who kept SHHHHH'ing me and it was not quiet by any means.

The end of the day comes around and as we're cleaning up our testing material, I ask the other guy to go back and say something because now I'm wondering how much everybody else heard. Yeah, that room was not soundproof at all. In fact, despite working there for a year or so, I failed to notice that the wall did not run the entire way to the ceiling. All 30 people that we had in the room that day heard me say "**** that guy, who the ***** does he think he is?" and "**** him" probably no less than a dozen times in a short span.

I ended up getting a call from Harrisburg later that week. I thought it was to say I was getting fired. Surprisingly, it was to tell me what a great job I was doing and for helping out with training last week.