home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 am

This new service requires their own devices, so it doesn't apply to me.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 am

I'd like to get my Fios bill down a bit, but I have a gigabit connection plus 4 tv's with 4 boxes (DVR)...and the 2nd highest tv package.. so doubtful I can do much. It is what it is, and the service in general is rock solid.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:38 am

I'd like to get my Fios bill down a bit, but I have a gigabit connection plus 4 tv's with 4 boxes (DVR)...and the 2nd highest tv package.. so doubtful I can do much. It is what it is, and the service in general is rock solid.
Same here. $163/month after taxes, which I'm more than happy with.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:44 am

If I have to pay for their boxes it’s gonna be a no from me dawg....ditching that actiontec garbage and getting the unfiltered ethernet was the best decision I ever made next to eliminating my television service.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 am

I meant you have to use their cable boxes. You still have the option of using your own router.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:44 am

Their quantum gateway router actually isn't awful. Better than the old actiontec, I still bypass it for the most part though, but has to be at least plugged in for the set top boxes to work.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 pm

Their package wizard let me remove their router and add my own, so my guess is that they no longer require you to use their router for their STBs to work.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Their package wizard let me remove their router and add my own, so my guess is that they no longer require you to use their router for their STBs to work.
Interesting. I'd love to get rid of it and just have my Asus hooked up normally.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:10 pm

This is pretty interesting. Seems like it could be more of a gimmick seeing how music isn't actually recorded with overhead speakers in mind, but then again, I have loads of SACD downstairs that I still listen/air band to. If they find a way to start cranking these out or even remaster some good rock concerts, I'd be switching over to full Atmos very soon.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... an-movies/

Wonder why bands haven't put out more of their stuff on bluray at the very least? Led Zeppelin double DVD, page and plant no quarter and Clapton one more car, one more rider would be incredible remastered

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Are you specifically talking about live performances, or studio remasters into surround audio?

FWIW, many years ago I worked at a small indie label called 5.1 Entertainment (which I believe is now defunct). We had licensing agreements with all of the major labels to remaster some of their catalog into 5.1 surround, and listening to some of the stuff from the 70s or 80s was eye ear-opening. The songs that were most surprising to me were, of all things, Call Me/Blondie and Heartbreaker/Pat Benetar. They just sounded extraordinary in 5.1.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 pm

Source of the post Are you specifically talking about live performances, or studio remasters into surround audio?
I guess both, although I'd like to see more live performances that reside on DVD put out in better quality. Regarding Blondie, I'd have zero issues with some of her live performances remastered in 4k. Sounds like you have had a cool work experience, everything you post pretty much sounds like what I wish I was doing, haha.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm

It was funny, because the Blondie and Benetar tracks I referenced I actually heard at a demo when I was working at EMI. They came in and were like, "Okay, here's what we can do with our tech." This was the late 90s, when DVDs were brand new. It wasn't until like four or five years later that I actually worked there.

That work experience ended when half of the company was laid off on one day, and the VP of Sales took to the news of his separation by going back into his office and urinating all over his laptop and desk situation. Yahoo.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:00 pm

Does anyone know when/if the HBO shows are leaving Amazon Prime?

The deal was signed in 2014, and there are a couple of reports stating that they would leave at the end of 2018.

They are all still there, however. It doesn't make sense for HBO to keep them on a competitor, as they have HBO Now (which wasn't around when the deal was signed obviously).

They have to pull the plug soon, right? That would suck.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:11 pm

NBCUniversal unveiled its Peacock streaming service to investors Thursday, highlighted by a free-for-all version that stands out in an increasingly crowded online video market. It launches in the U.S. on July 15.

Peacock Free will consist of 7,500 hours of programming, including next-day access to current seasons of first-year NBC shows, complete seasons of classic series, Universal movies and curated content such as “SNL Vault” and “Family Movie Night.”
There will also be two paid tiers of Peacock called Peacock Premium.

As previously reported by CNBC, there will be a $4.99 per month version of Peacock with advertisements and a $9.99 per month option with no ads. Both paid tiers will include live sports and early access to late night shows. Peacock Premium will include non-televised Premier League soccer games beginning in August and Ryder Cup matches in September. The inclusion of sports is another differentiator for Peacock from rivals such as Disney+, HBO Max and Netflix, which don’t include live games.

Peacock Premium will give NBC fans an early look at its Late Night lineup, a first for any broadcast network. Late Night fans with earlier bedtimes will be able to watch “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” at 8 p.m. ET each day instead of its normal TV time of 11:35 p.m. ET and “Late Night with Seth Meyers” at 9 p.m. ET instead of waiting until 12:35 p.m. ET.

Peacock will also feature live breaking news coverage and access to “NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt.” Full episodes of news magazine show “Dateline” will also be available for Peacock subscribers.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 pm

I was hoping the free version would just be the service but with ads, not a stripped down version. Charging $5/month for a service with ads is stupid but somehow Hulu gets away with it and charges more so whatever.

The free version has 7,500 hours of content, the pay versions have 15,000 hours. Until we can see what specifically is included, none of this matters.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:32 pm

This has better not mean that we have to wait until **** July for the next Psych movie.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Comcast and Cox cable subscribers will get free access to Peacock Premium with ads and can pay $5 per month for the ad-free version. Comcast’s Xfinity X1 and internet-only Flex customers will get access to Peacock Premium on April 15, three months earlier than the national launch.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:29 pm

I'm starting to wear thin with Amazon putting ads for their own stuff in front of Prime Video content. It's skippable but still disruptive.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:59 am

I'm starting to wear thin with Amazon putting ads for their own stuff in front of Prime Video content. It's skippable but still disruptive.
That's the direction everyone is heading. TiVo started doing the same thing, putting ads in front of YOUR RECORDED CONTENT. You can request to opt-out, but rumor is that they may stop allowing that. Thankfully, it doesn't affect the OS my TiVos are all on.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Does NBC streaming suck on hulu or is it just me? It's always glitching.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Streaming fine on Vue.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:47 pm

Streaming fine on Vue.
Its streaming fine on nhl.tv. just NBC in general on hulu has been horrible. Didn't know if anyone else has these issues.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:53 pm

Any nvidia stealth users on here? Their 8.0.1 update sucks the big one and I can't find a way to rollback the software. Specifically, I have no audio and whatever app I am running through shuts down after 2 hrs of use. The audio issue was intermittent and could be resolved by unplugging the HDMI from the tv and the box, power cycling the box, resetting the audio settings and plugging the HDMI back in, but now that no longer fixes the issue.

So I basically have a $200 brick until nvidia gets their heads out of their collective asses and either issues a fix or tells me how to rollback the software.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:37 pm

YouTube TV app released for PlayStation 4 today. Woot.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 pm

@dodint