home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:03 am

So, we broke down and subscribed to DirecTV Now a month or so ago to get the local channels and a few others. It worked OK, until the latest app update (adding DVR functionality) forced us to lose all of the local channels. Each device had a different channel lineup - iOS devices had no locals, my not-updated Android phone had the local (Charlotte, NC) stations, and our PCs had the Raleigh, NC ABC and CBS networks (but not PBS, Fox, or NBC).

After a length chat with "Ron" with technical support, he fessed up that this was a known issue and they would contact me when it got fixed. That was a week ago...no word from DTV or "Ron."

Spectrum, our ISP, is now offering a streaming TV package for $22 - all the locals, some freebies, and ten other channels. We rarely watch anything live except the locals, so I decided to give it a shot. First thing I notice after signing up and picking the channels, is that the apps do not offer Chromecast support. This is enraging.

Fortunately, they offer a Samsung TV app which works flawlessly...which is shocking. I didn't have to login or anything, it knew my channel lineup from our IP address (I guess?) Plus, it works with the TV remote - instead of a tablet or phone via Chromecast, so it's almost like having cable again. Channel up and down works, plus the built in tv guide works well...not bad.

Still no regional sports networks available, but I can get what I need to watch (most of the time) via the WatchESPN or NBC Sports app.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 24, 2018 11:19 am

No. It's more of a Bluetooth bridge/converter, it changes the IR to Bluetooth (in practice).

Sync the adapter to your PS3 like a regular controller and then the Logitech family of remotes can talk to it.
After six years of faithful service this unit died on me this morning. :(

I think I'm going to just put the PS3 away and replace it with another FireStick. I can't think of anything the PS3 has (that I use) that the Fire Stick doesn't have. Not sure that I can control the Fire Stick with my Logitech remote, though, so I'm back where we started before getting the adapter.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Welp... heading back to comcast.

Got a call today that they changed around a lot of their channel line-up and pricing models for their double play. I can get better internet than I currently have along with all the channels I'm currently paying for through sling plus some like AT&T Sports Pittsburgh (Hello, buccos baseball!) for cheaper than I'm paying now.

The dude that called me to give me the details on the offer said that they had noted in my file that the reason we had internet only is due to cost. He informed me that HD is now standard and there is no longer an HD fee (so you comcasters that have HD fees, give them a call and ask what's up), also an HD box that has access to apps like Netflix and Youtube does not have a monthly rental charge.

100 mbps internet and 125+ channels for $87 after all the taxes and fees per month for a year and then it jumps $10 a month after a year. Notbad.jpg

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:47 pm

That's a nice deal

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Is the $10 increase after the first year the equiptment fee for the box?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm

No clue. I'm stopping in tomorrow at lunch and I'll let you know.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:54 pm

I'd be in on that if Armstrong cable would have something. Their customer service reps are willing to take no for an answer, which makes bargaining hard.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:25 am

Since directvnow updated their app it’s worked just as well as the old app on my 4th gen AppleTV. However, on iOS, the app has been hot garbage. It is having issues maintaining the stream on my home WiFi. Over LTE it’s fine, but if I’m playing a game on my Xbox and streaming tv over my iPad it’s constantly buffering or restarting. I’m having flashbacks to the service launch.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am

I called comcast yesterday and I have to say, the last few calls with their customer service has been pretty pleasant. They are sending me out their new 4k box that they don't have any 4k content for, so thanks?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 am

My Verizon contract is up in December, but I fully expect to renew at the same terms, which I can live with. We've been in this house for around 7 years now, and my bill has only gone up $10 in that time, and it was due to a new mandatory fee (sports related, I'm sure).

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 am

lol, yeah. The dude that called me and tried to get me to change my plan seemed like he was doing rush tactics to get me to commit to something so I just told him that I needed to discuss it with my wife before I do anything, and I'd call him back if/when I wanted to switch. I called comcast's customer service just to make sure what he was telling me was legit since he called me and it wasn't from an xfinity number that was searchable online. They confirmed all the pricing he told me and the guy I was talking to said "Hey man, good for you... if someone called me and had all my information like that, I wouldn't even think twice about whether it was a scam or not." Made me laugh a little.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 am

I would never accept an offer from a cold call. If I do pick up the phone, I don't even bother listening to the pitch.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Got a call today that they changed around a lot of their channel line-up and pricing models for their double play. I can get better internet than I currently have along with all the channels I'm currently paying for through sling plus some like AT&T Sports Pittsburgh (Hello, buccos baseball!) for cheaper than I'm paying now.

The dude that called me to give me the details on the offer said that they had noted in my file that the reason we had internet only is due to cost. He informed me that HD is now standard and there is no longer an HD fee (so you comcasters that have HD fees, give them a call and ask what's up), also an HD box that has access to apps like Netflix and Youtube does not have a monthly rental charge.

100 mbps internet and 125+ channels for $87 after all the taxes and fees per month for a year and then it jumps $10 a month after a year. Notbad.jpg
Just stopped into Comcast. Got the box which is not a monthly charge, got everything I wanted and it's $87.42 a month for a year, the $98ish a year for the second year. I guess the $10 increase is just something they expect to happen. No HD charge, no charge for the box, the extra money is just taxes and local sports fees. I'm pretty excited about it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Just stopped into Comcast. Got the box which is not a monthly charge, got everything I wanted and it's $87.42 a month for a year, the $98ish a year for the second year. I guess the $10 increase is just something they expect to happen. No HD charge, no charge for the box, the extra money is just taxes and local sports fees. I'm pretty excited about it.
Check to see if you get HBO included. I got a bundle for TV and internet and HBO was free for the first year and then the second year the HBO was an additional $10 per month.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:09 pm

I did. It's not part of this package. One thing of interest is that they are starting to do packages where netflix is "included" in your monthly bill. Would be one less payment to track.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Amazon is releasing a new Fire TV Cube, and it sounds pretty interesting: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... lease-date

I’m interested, but I kinda want to wait for user reviews before seriously looking into it. One thing I’m worried about is having one of these in the same room as an Echo. I don’t want dueling Echos.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:48 am

Are any of these things able to connect in and control everything through your receiver? It appears to be pretty basic in actual controls.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:51 am

It can control a number of things right now, and probably more in the future. See here: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sk_dp_voic ... 7284748011

I'm buying one, if only to play around with it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:05 am

thanks, looks like it does have some control over the AVR, I'm intrigued.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 am

Six months in on the google home and it’s been mostly utilized as a fancy clock. My kids use it in their bedroom to stream Spotify.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:05 am

I won an Echo Dot last night. Not sure what I'll use it for.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Can't believe DirecTV Now, owned by AT&T, still does not offer AT&T Sportsnet. Therefore no Penguins.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Can't believe DirecTV Now, owned by AT&T, still does not offer AT&T Sportsnet. Therefore no Penguins.
My guess is even if they did offer AT&T SN on DirecTV Now they would black out Pens and Pirates games. That's how it is with AT&T' SN's app. Useless.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Blackouts are not the decision of the carrier or even the network. Those are team or league policies.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:23 pm

I know. I don't really understand it though. You have to sign into the app using your cable provider info. I pay for this ****. Why can't I watch it?