home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Good to know, thanks. And let's say someone is going to start getting back into torrents after being out of the game for a while, is Vuze still a decent client?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:33 pm

I've never used Vuze. I use a pirated copy of uTorrent Pro (HA!), actually, and have zero issues. Fast and no BS ads. If you do want to get back into it, I'll gladly throw the client on my Google Drive.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:35 pm

I've never used Vuze. I use a pirated copy of uTorrent Pro (HA!), actually, and have zero issues. Fast and no BS ads. If you do want to get back into it, I'll gladly throw the client on my Google Drive.
That'd be awesome, thanks. How necessary is a VPN now these days?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:55 pm

I have a Logitech Harmony One remote, and need to swap the TV confit on it this week. The way Logitech handles this is that you login to their software, and the configuration is stored on their servers. You know where I’m going with this. I login just now and see that I have no configuration at all. The last time I updated this was like 6 years ago, but still, this is crap. Now I have to contact them and hope that it’s a silly mixup because their provide for handling this is absurd. You’d think they’d have a process to copy a physical remote that I have on me so that it can be used as the configuration, but no, you have to create the configuration using their god damn applications.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Well, color me shocked. Logitech support was super helpful, and found my "old" account which was not migrated properly. I'm back in business.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 pm

👍

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Citi is killing off price matching from their cards in September, so I'm trying to sneak one last match in there for the TV I just bought. I found a grey market set for a few hundred less, and if they accept the match, I'll get $200 back. That'd be a killer deal.
You get your TV? Best buy having a sell on TV's.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/tv-d ... 0or%20More

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:46 am

Citi is killing off price matching from their cards in September, so I'm trying to sneak one last match in there for the TV I just bought. I found a grey market set for a few hundred less, and if they accept the match, I'll get $200 back. That'd be a killer deal.
You get your TV? Best buy having a sell on TV's.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/tv-d ... 0or%20More
My XBR75X900F is being delivered today, actually. :) I appreciate the look out, though.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:48 am

My TV is so old that it came from Circuit City.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am

Dammmnnn.gif

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Initial thoughts on the X900F. The reviews were right, you really don't have to do much out of the box. I did tweak a few settings based on my environment (bright room), but will leave it be for a week or so to adjust. I don't know if it's just me seeing things or not, but some of the content looks a little soft. Then again, it is a 75" screen, which tends to show that more.

4K content on YouTube is un-****-real. Watching 10 minutes of that made me angry that Verizon basically has no 4k channels available. If they suddenly had all of my channels in 4K, I would upgrade my TiVo to take advantage of it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Initial thoughts on the X900F. The reviews were right, you really don't have to do much out of the box. I did tweak a few settings based on my environment (bright room), but will leave it be for a week or so to adjust. I don't know if it's just me seeing things or not, but some of the content looks a little soft. Then again, it is a 75" screen, which tends to show that more.

4K content on YouTube is ****. Watching 10 minutes of that made me angry that Verizon basically has no 4k channels available. If they suddenly had all of my channels in 4K, I would upgrade my TiVo to take advantage of it.
not sure if it's the same for the F, but make sure you goto settings > external inputs > HDMI signal format and switch to enhance if you are using outside media for 4k via HDMI

yep, very little I had to change out of the box for mine and cinema pro. If it's not in HDR, sometimes I do enjoy bumping the Xtended Dynamic Range and smooth gradation to LOW and Reality Creation to AUTO to give it a little pop.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 pm

I only have a TiVo Roamio Pro and PS3 connected to it, and neither support 4k, so it sounds like I don't have to touch the signal format. I'm accessing YouTube and Netflix directly from the Bravia's Androis OS, which is nice.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:51 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks! Step 1 tonight is going to be a 4k demo for my wife, who is still not thrilled with the purchase.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks! Step 1 tonight is going to be a 4k demo for my wife, who is still not thrilled with the purchase.
:fist: I received a few calls at work the last couple weeks with the wife trying to get the world cup in 4k. every call started with "I hate YOUR tv"

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:07 pm

I just realized that my mom's Netflix account is the standard plan. Time to upgrade her to premium and pay her the difference.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 pm

not sure if you watched it or not, but altered carbon on Netflix may have the best show off material for 4k HDR that I've come across on there. Also nice that Amazon has free 4k HDR with prime subscription.

I was looking back at some of my movies yesterday and saw I have Bram Stokers dracula in dvd, superbit, bluray and 4k. Those have been fun conversations when the 4k shows up in the mail. I thought we already had that!

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 pm

If you're doing straight eye-candy there is a Youtube category for 4k if you're using a 4k device and some of that stuff is absurdly pretty.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:21 pm

I loved Altered Carbon, and will reluctantly watch it with Anthony Mackie. And dodint, yeah, I recall you mentioning that before. I haven't looked for it yet, and just searched for '4k video'. The first few results were jaw dropping.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:23 pm

the links I posted above are from the HDR channel. Just click and subscribe to that and then when you log onto youtube from your android tv, you'll have that ready to go. That channel is terrific for eye candy.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm

So, I've got a lip sync issue with the new TV that's driving me nuts. It's not too bad, but enough to force me to not turn on my receiver (which doesn't do negative lip sync adjustments). I've fiddled with every setting so far to no avail. This happens on the native Netflix app, as well as my TiVo (HDMI), so it's not an ARC issue.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:34 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Awesome

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:25 pm

So, I've got a lip sync issue with the new TV that's driving me nuts. It's not too bad, but enough to force me to not turn on my receiver (which doesn't do negative lip sync adjustments). I've fiddled with every setting so far to no avail. This happens on the native Netflix app, as well as my TiVo (HDMI), so it's not an ARC issue.
If you hold in the power button on the remote, it will reboot the tv. Try that first. If that doesn't work, try a factory reset. I have no idea why, but I've had random sync issues with mine in the past and resetting seems to do the trick. I forget why I had to factory reset, but that fixed an issue as well.