home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 am

Verizon FIOS 100/100. The router is located at my home theater so it's not a signal issue.

It's hit or miss with streams, I understand it. I mean this isn't really any different than hunting for the streams yourself, it's luck of the draw. This thing just aggregates the searching for you which is a value added service.

My complaining is more about how my Dad pitched it to my wife but left out the bad stuff. I think she thought it was a super-Netflix that my Dad paid someone to hack into. I explained it to her later and she gets it now but the whole experience is kind of lame because of the way my Dad presented it. :lol:

I appreciate it for what it is. My biggest complaint about legit streaming services is that they have lots and lots of content, but never seem to have the show/movie I actually want. This will fill that gap nicely I think.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 am

WTF? Are you getting your internet service from 1998?
Probably Armstrong Cable :pop:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:51 am

I had 5MBPS upload until a few days ago. It's now at 10, which is the max allowed on Spectrum's residential plans.

Two hours away at my parents' house, they get 120/120 with Xfinity.

We have no other decent ISPs, other than at&t's DSL capped at 6 MBPS down.

Ah, the rural life.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:01 pm

In 2017, in the US, that should not happen. Even on archaic coaxial lines, 5-10 is pathetic.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 am

I want to do something with all these digit copies from purchased blurays,uhd,etc. Is there a streaming device that works better for all of this stuff or can you only access them from a certain place?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:45 am

Many of the big streaming sites have combined or shared their libraries with a site/app called Movies Anywhere. I had copies of movies on 2-3 services, and now I can use one app to get to them all. I haven’t used it much - but it seems to work well on iOS/Chromecast. We were able to save a movie to my son’s iPad for a long drive yesterday. That was very helpful.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:48 am

Those services include....?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 am

Amazon, Vudu/Ultraviolet, Google Play Video, iTunes, and there are a few others.

I started linking accounts and found movies that I’d forgotten I’d purchased...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:52 am

Here’s the URL: https://moviesanywhere.com/welcome

They throw in a few free movies, too.

I’ve also discovered that you can add movies that have expired. Not sure why they bother with an expiration date, but I dug out some old codes and added some movies that we bought 4-5 years ago that expired a year or two ago.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:54 am

There is a market for buying and selling those codes.
https://www.howtogeek.com/335037/how-to ... vie-codes/
I’ve been buying codes for two years, and only had an issue once or twice(resolved).

As for which service, it doesn’t really matter nowadays. Create a moviesanywhere.com account or migrate your existing disneymoviesanywhere.com account. That account will transfer most of your digital movies between all of the other services...vudu, iTunes, Amazon, google play...etc.
I bought most of my codes in iTunes due to having an AppleTV.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 am

Paramount and Lionsgate are the two studios that don’t transfer from movie anywhere. This means if you buy or redeem a digital movie from those two studios...they will only be on the service you bought or redeemed. Everything else would show up across all other services.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Many of the big streaming sites have combined or shared their libraries with a site/app called Movies Anywhere. I had copies of movies on 2-3 services, and now I can use one app to get to them all. I haven’t used it much - but it seems to work well on iOS/Chromecast. We were able to save a movie to my son’s iPad for a long drive yesterday. That was very helpful.
Thanks, I do remember signing up for that now. Do you register the codes with that site?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Yes, you can register them there.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:39 am

Kids got echo's for their rooms for Christmas. I'm now finding out that you can't play different songs from Amazon music (even though I already pay for the unlimited service) in multiple rooms at the same time unless it's a shared group playing the same thing. Is there anyway to upload music somewhere for Alexa to play that specific album at request where it doesn't clash with the issue above. I'd rather not pay double for family plan.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am

Kids got echo's for their rooms for Christmas. I'm now finding out that you can't play different songs from Amazon music (even though I already pay for the unlimited service) in multiple rooms at the same time unless it's a shared group playing the same thing. Is there anyway to upload music somewhere for Alexa to play that specific album at request where it doesn't clash with the issue above. I'd rather not pay double for family plan.
You can upload songs and playlists from your PC (link), but the service is being discontinued, so you should upload anything you want right now. It’ll only last a year or so, though.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

A note from SiriusXM:
Effective as of February 15, 2018, the U.S. Music Royalty Fee will increase from 13.9% to 19.1% of the price of all audio packages which include music channels.

The U.S. Music Royalty Fee applies to most audio packages* and offsets the royalties payable by SiriusXM to composers, publishers, recording artists, musicians and record labels that hold copyrights to musical works and recordings. The increase is a result of the recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board of the Library of Congress.
This might be my jumping off point as it has been creeping up every year. How about you, @tifosi77?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Sweet!

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:16 pm

A note from SiriusXM:
Effective as of February 15, 2018, the U.S. Music Royalty Fee will increase from 13.9% to 19.1% of the price of all audio packages which include music channels.

The U.S. Music Royalty Fee applies to most audio packages* and offsets the royalties payable by SiriusXM to composers, publishers, recording artists, musicians and record labels that hold copyrights to musical works and recordings. The increase is a result of the recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board of the Library of Congress.
This might be my jumping off point as it has been creeping up every year. How about you, @tifosi77?
Ugh. I was thinking about re-upping this year, too.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 pm

The problem is I use it for about 90% talk radio. The music they do have is compressed pretty badly. And they have annoying DJs that don't STFU, ever. And the catalog for a given channel is pretty bad.

If they had a talk-only sub I would switch to that. Pumping up my bill so other people can listen to bad music is a really poor strategy.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm

I blared Octane or Liquid Metal all the time. Found more new music in a year than I had in the ten before that, but it did get hella expensive.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:40 pm

I put Classic Vinyl on in the background when the wife is in the car and we're talking. If I'm going to blast music it'll be from my Google Play Music collection streaming from my tablet. Better quality and it's the exact music I want or one of their radio stations.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Amazon Music app on phone (hooked into car stereo). :thumb:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:46 pm

A note from SiriusXM:

I bailed on Stern four or five years ago, so I've been getting my money's worth from POTUS and the music channels. I don't think I'll get out of Dodge just yet.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 pm

I figured POTUS had you in too deep.

Stern was talking about POTUS radio the other day, amusingly.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Octane/Liquid Metal/Turbo/Ozzy's Boneyard are my go to's. I listen alot to Stern and such too so I have the highest package. I doubt I'll drop unless they like double the cost. It's on a CC that I don't use at all other than for random stuff I auto bill.. so yeah.