home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:52 am

Is that something you'd typically find on a sub-$1,500 TV of this size? I looked through Amazon and walked through Wal-Mart the other day and ended up with the two TVs I posted.

Thanks for the site, really informative. It's our primary TV, but I personally spend about 60% of my time on it playing video games and it seems to be highly rated in that regard.

I don't pay much attention to home theater stuff anymore. I'm coming from an 8 year old rear projection HDTV so I'm not sure that missing out on HDR at this time would be a huge deal. The site you posted said, if I'm reading it correctly, that most portions of scenes would still render well, if not as well as some other more expensive TV sets.

I don't really mind the smart features being poorly organized, I do most of my streaming from the PS4 or FireStick.
70" appears to be a tricky size where features and price jumps. You can find some amazing deals on 65" that are more loaded with features. So that TV will play 4k, but if you want to get into HDR and dolby vision (which goes along with all physical UHD media and most of streaming), that TV wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, it will still play HDR, it just won't be that noticable. It will still play 4k fine, you just don't have access to the backlighting in the TV to adjust the brightness that it could put out. So that's on you and what you want to enjoy. Personally, I'd look at 65" Vizio P series, Samsung 8000, or TCL Roku 6 series which are all in that $1100 price range and have more features for future proofing. Just know you'll have to pay more for that jump to 70"

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks. Given I'm already coming down from a 73" I don't really want to fall much further. Lots to consider.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm having a hard time finding any reviews of that LG I linked to in the first post, the UK6570. It does have local dimming but I don't know how effective it is. I was worried it wouldn't fit on the entertainment center I just bought because the legs of the stand are so far apart. But I found the actual dimensions of the stand and I'm good there.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-70UK6570AUB is the product page, but I can't really tell what are just LG buzzwords and what represent actual bona fide industry standard claims. Like '4K Active HDR'.

Also like that it has an ethernet port (my router is on the same shelf) and HDMI ARC for my stereo receiver.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm having a hard time finding any reviews of that LG I linked to in the first post, the UK6570. It does have local dimming but I don't know how effective it is. I was worried it wouldn't fit on the entertainment center I just bought because the legs of the stand are so far apart. But I found the actual dimensions of the stand and I'm good there.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-70UK6570AUB is the product page, but I can't really tell what are just LG buzzwords and what represent actual bona fide industry standard claims. Like '4K Active HDR'.

Also like that it has an ethernet port (my router is on the same shelf) and HDMI ARC for my stereo receiver.
is this the same TV? If so, I'd definitely try and see it in person if you are able

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-70-clas ... Id=6032807

I'm seeing a lot of different models for 6570. Most of the user reviews were good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 pm

That is last years model, the UJ.

This is the current one from the LG US site: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-70UK6570PUB-4k-uhd-tv

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Not a fan of in-store evaluation of TVs. Factory settings usually blow out brightness and/or contrast so the picture stands out in an overly-bright showroom on a wall of 100 other TVs. If they have the set in a Magnolia showroom, that's a little better. But just out on the floor? Nope.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Source of the post Not a fan of in-store evaluation of TVs.
Nothing else needs to be said here.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:07 pm

My 2011 55” LG is beginning to have issues(dead pixels&randomly turning off). I’ll probably get what is ~$800 @costco when it’s done.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Not a fan of in-store evaluation of TVs. Factory settings usually blow out brightness and/or contrast so the picture stands out in an overly-bright showroom on a wall of 100 other TVs. If they have the set in a Magnolia showroom, that's a little better. But just out on the floor? Nope.
true. take a flash drive with some media samples. Ask them to change the settings around for you. This is all better than a blind buy that doesn't have any reviews or information posted.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:09 pm

My 2011 55” LG is beginning to have issues(dead pixels&randomly turning off). I’ll probably get what is ~$800 @costco when it’s done.
TCL Roku tvs are the best bang for your buck under $1000 you'll probably find.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:13 pm

I saw a 55” 4K tcl for $379 this weekend at Costco.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 pm

This is the current one from the LG US site: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-70UK6570PUB-4k-uhd-tv
I don't know how much of a hurry you are for a tv, but this is very little information anywhere about this TV except some poor amazon reviews and some positive best buy reviews. The specs are pretty decent for a tv that size and that price, which would make me a little hesitant. I would definitely wait and see if you can find some professional reviews because that looks like it could be too good to be true. You don't want to blind buy something like that and then come home to find the color or banding is terrible. Then again, one of the biggest problems I think you can have is going looking for problems. In the end, if it looks good to you, then it looks good to you, once you start going down the rabbit hole of reviews and complains, you'll start looking for those issues yourself!

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:22 pm

I saw a 55” 4K tcl for $379 this weekend at Costco.
Their 6 series matches and/or surpasses some high end TV specs that are literally at least double in price. If you are not a videophile and want something that has the same features and output specs as a $2000+ TV, there you are.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm a firm believer in spending a little more for a better quality product when it comes to stuff like this. Your options would open up a bit more if your budget went up a few hundred, IMO.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 pm

I don't know how much of a hurry you are for a tv, but this is very little information anywhere about this TV except some poor amazon reviews and some positive best buy reviews. The specs are pretty decent for a tv that size and that price, which would make me a little hesitant. I would definitely wait and see if you can find some professional reviews because that looks like it could be too good to be true. You don't want to blind buy something like that and then come home to find the color or banding is terrible. Then again, one of the biggest problems I think you can have is going looking for problems. In the end, if it looks good to you, then it looks good to you, once you start going down the rabbit hole of reviews and complains, you'll start looking for those issues yourself!
Found this review on a youtube vid, really too far into the weeds for me but it highlights how odd this TV is:
So this particular TV doesn't come with the traditional IPS panel. LG doesn't make a 70" in any model. If you go to their website they list which TVs are made with the IPS panel. Their website doesn't say IPS for this model. This TV is using a VA panel which does well in a dark room and has worse viewing from an angle. It also uses local dimming where the 75 and 86" don't. I wish someone would do a real review on this model as it is a unique TV from LG.
I'm renting a van to move some furniture on Saturday and carting the old TV away; going to order either this LG or that Sony tomorrow, I think.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 pm

I'm a firm believer in spending a little more for a better quality product when it comes to stuff like this. Your options would open up a bit more if your budget went up a few hundred, IMO.
Up from $1500? Nah, I'm happy where I'm at.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:39 pm

Source of the post Found this review on a youtube vid, really too far into the weeds for me but it highlights how odd this TV is:

So this particular TV doesn't come with the traditional IPS panel. LG doesn't make a 70" in any model. If you go to their website they list which TVs are made with the IPS panel. Their website doesn't say IPS for this model. This TV is using a VA panel which does well in a dark room and has worse viewing from an angle. It also uses local dimming where the 75 and 86" don't. I wish someone would do a real review on this model as it is a unique TV from LG.

I'm renting a van to move some furniture on Saturday and carting the old TV away; going to order either this LG or that Sony tomorrow, I think.
This is pretty common nowadays. Even Samsung doesn't make the panels for all of their TVs (same model, different size).

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Found this review on a youtube vid, really too far into the weeds for me but it highlights how odd this TV is:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

my tv (Sony 900e) has a VA panel. This is my theater setup. I have zero issues from any seat

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:58 pm

If it's a viewing angle thing I'm fine, my TV is in a corner so it faces both ends of our sectional just fine. You've just got me thinking hard about this darks thing. Our TV is near a big window but we just draw the shades until the sun goes down.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:05 pm

If it's a viewing angle thing I'm fine, my TV is in a corner so it faces both ends of our sectional just fine. You've just got me thinking hard about this darks thing. Our TV is near a big window but we just draw the shades until the sun goes down.
I'm sure you'd be fine. Without a review, it's hard to tell a lot about the tv like how reflective is the glass surface? I don't know if these are normal things that the average tv buyer actually looks for though.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Somebody asked that as a Customer Question on Amazon, actually.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Speaking of glass surfaces..... what's a good cleaning product? Over the years, several of our friends have had children, and we had the swimming pool. So our TV is kinda covered in smudges on the left side, like to the point where it sort of obscures the image in high light conditions.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:13 pm

Speaking of glass surfaces..... what's a good cleaning product? Over the years, several of our friends have had children, and we had the swimming pool. So our TV is kinda covered in smudges on the left side, like to the point where it sort of obscures the image in high light conditions.
I use this for my tv with my kids

MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloths, EXTRA LARGE PACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050R66X8/re ... xBbC785854

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you for that. They were having a lightning deal on them, so I got them for like $7.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Oh, I didn't realize that. I just restocked, thanks!