home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:20 pm

I like the idea of using the google assistant and the language translator is pretty awesome (not that I see myself using it)...
Wanted to revisit this, is the translator thing unique to those ear buds, or is it something you get with Assistant?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:28 pm

I like the idea of using the google assistant and the language translator is pretty awesome (not that I see myself using it)...
Wanted to revisit this, is the translator thing unique to those ear buds, or is it something you get with Assistant?
That's the funny thing, the more I read about it, I realized you can do the same thing over your phone so it's assistant using Google translator

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:47 pm

We have been looking at bluetooth headphones for a while, specifically the Sennheiser HD1 Wireless over-ears. Finally got a pair today. My god, what a lovely set of cans.

The build quality and sound quality are both excellent. With only about an hour of continuous wear time so far, they seem to be very comfortable. The leather on the ear cups is the softest I've ever felt. Bluetooth connection is good for the entire house and most of the yard. Noise cancellation seems to be adequate, but I didn't really test it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 am

Apparently if you use comcast, you have access to xfinity wifi hotspots. Does anyone use this feature? They say you need to download their security app? Does this work well?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Apparently if you use comcast, you have access to xfinity wifi hotspots. Does anyone use this feature? They say you need to download their security app? Does this work well?
You don't need any app to use it. You can either connect manually (when you select an 'xfinitywifi' wireless network, it'll lauch a browser where you'll enter your Comcast credentials), or download their security profile [while on your phone] that'll allow you to connect without having to enter your creds every time.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Is this the thing that uses personal routers? Doesn't that seem... icky to anyone else?

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Is this the thing that uses personal routers? Doesn't that seem... icky to anyone else?
a good reason NOT to use a cable company provided modem/router

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Those are a part of their wifi network, yes, but I'd venture that it's a smaller percentage. Either way, yeah, don't use their own gear for more than just this reason (even though you can disable it).

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Is there a floodlight bulb that can integrate with IFTTT to send me a text when it turns on?

Envisioning using it as a motion sensor to send alerts when motion is detected.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:08 am

My comcast bill keeps going up. I'm tired of paying $170 a month just to watch the Pens game. There has to be a better way I can do this with just keeping internet and getting rid of TV and Phone. HOW DO I DO THIS 5AF?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:10 am

My comcast bill keeps going up. I'm tired of paying $170 a month just to watch the Pens game. There has to be a better way I can do this with just keeping internet and getting rid of TV and Phone. HOW DO I DO THIS 5AF?
www.reddit.com/r/nhlstreams
Last edited by nocera on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:10 am

1. VPN service to pretend to be out of the Pittsburgh market
2. https://www.nhl.com/tv

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 am

Do I have to stream from a PC or can I do this through Roku or smart TV or whatever ?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 am

This would likely be my choice.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 am

I'm fine paying for a VPN ( I have no idea what to do with this whatsoever). I'm fine with paying for an NHL service if that works with the VPN. I don't want to have to stream it from a PC though...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 am

I think there are a few Sling TV owners here. Perhaps that's an option (coupled with the VPN)?

WRT the VPN, you'd need a wireless router that has VPN capability. You would configure the paid VPN on the router, and simply turn it on when you wanted to watch games (since you're in-market). This would require you logging into the router to do this each time, unless you simply left the VPN connected full-time, which may not actually matter to you.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:21 am

WRT the VPN, you'd need a wireless router that has VPN capability. You would configure the paid VPN on the router, and simply turn it on when you wanted to watch games (since you're in-market). This would require you logging into the router to do this each time, unless you simply left the VPN connected full-time, which may not actually matter to you.
is this a pretty reasonable thing for someone who has no idea about any of this to setup?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am

I'm fine paying for a VPN ( I have no idea what to do with this whatsoever). I'm fine with paying for an NHL service if that works with the VPN. I don't want to have to stream it from a PC though...
I used to use unblock-us and it was incredibly easy to change the DNS on the router, or even directly on the Roku if you don't want your entire network on the VPN. They provide detailed instructions on how to set it up on every possible device. For example, I had it on the Roku, Xbox 360, and my laptop. They also have great customer service/forums to help if you would get stuck for whatever reason.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am

is this a pretty reasonable thing for someone who has no idea about any of this to setup?
Probably not if you're uncomfortable with managing this, and more importantly, troubleshooting it when issues arise. If FiOS is available in your area, I would urge you to consider that first.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 am

Probably not if you're uncomfortable with managing this, and more importantly, troubleshooting it when issues arise. If FiOS is available in your area, I would urge you to consider that first.
Even a complete moron could follow the unblock-us instructions. I should know... I am one.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 am

:lol:

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:41 am

I'm going to look into this unblockus deal, but I'll probably just keep TV around until after cup run, then cancel and go with internet and my own router/modem and worry about Pens games next year. Fios not available. Thanks for all the input.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 am

Source of the post go with internet and my own router/modem
Cable modem (under 1GB connection): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PE1X5K
Cable modem (1GB+ connection): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6SKK1G
Router: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB45SI4

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 am

Even a complete moron could follow the unblock-us instructions. I should know... I am one.
unblockus on SONY TV is literally going to network setup on the TV and putting in ther DNS Server numbers? That's it according to their website? That seems way too easy. If NHLtv is available on android tv for Sony, I'm in.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 am

I guess next question is, how is NHLtv streaming quality?