home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:34 pm

So cut the cord this weekend. Things seemed ok. Got a new TV for the basement and the streaming is good just straight through the TV. My other TV, it kept getting choppy and freezing, so I plugged my Roku in on Saturday and it seemed to fix the problem.

Watched college FB and it looked good.

But when I was watching the NFL yesterday , when the action went down field, the picture would blur. WTF. What would be causing that.

My download speed is 200 and my upload is 25.5. The Armstrong guy said that should be plenty. Is it always going to be like this?
I think this is an FPS thing. Check if your service/device allows 60 fps.
Yeah, I'll look at this when I get home. If it does allow 60 fps, what should the next step be? See if the settings are fully utilizing it?

Just reading reviews, it seems the Roku ultra will allow this. Just need to see if the TV does.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:36 pm

https://www.target.com/p/lg-60-34-class ... lsrc=aw.ds

This is the TV in my basement. Seems it has 60 fps

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Man, I hate it when companies brand their **** like LG does here. Some of the specs I see for that set state a 60hz refresh rate, and then others state "TruMotion 120", which may or may not actually be 120hz (betting on the latter, personally).

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

My question is, if the fps was always 60, when I had cable, it looked ok, but now I'm streaming, there is motion blur?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:11 pm

That's why I think it could be the smart app on your TV. I don't think you answered my earlier question on how you access CBS on that set, but if you went from a cable box to the TV's own OS, there's always the chance that it's not good enough to handle that kind of processing. Cable boxes are built for doing not much more than that, and your TV is not.

Is your TV connected via wireless or wired Ethernet? Some sets have major issues with wireless being enabled, which can manifest as chopping video processing. I know that Sony had an issue with that in the past due to which part of the chipset handled wifi.
Last edited by NTP66 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:11 pm

https://www.techhive.com/article/317975 ... ndles.html

This seems to answer my question. A lot of streaming services support 60 fps for ESPN, sports channels, but not on the networks which they stream at 30fps.

Which is why when I was watching college FB on ESPN/ACC Network on Saturday, it looked good, but when watching NFL on CBS and NBC, it wasn't.

That blows.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 pm

That's why I think it could be the smart app on your TV. I don't think you answered my earlier question on how you access CBS on that set, but if you went from a cable box to the TV's own OS, there's always the chance that it's not good enough to handle that kind of processing. Cable boxes are built for doing not much more than that, and your TV is not.
I thought I answered that I used the Roku Ultra through Hulu TV Live.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 pm

So cut the cord this weekend. Things seemed ok. Got a new TV for the basement and the streaming is good just straight through the TV. My other TV, it kept getting choppy and freezing, so I plugged my Roku in on Saturday and it seemed to fix the problem.

Watched college FB and it looked good.

But when I was watching the NFL yesterday , when the action went down field, the picture would blur. WTF. What would be causing that.

My download speed is 200 and my upload is 25.5. The Armstrong guy said that should be plenty. Is it always going to be like this?
I think this is an FPS thing. Check if your service/device allows 60 fps.
Yeah, I'll look at this when I get home. If it does allow 60 fps, what should the next step be? See if the settings are fully utilizing it?

Just reading reviews, it seems the Roku ultra will allow this. Just need to see if the TV does.
Double check menu settings on both your Roku and your TV to make sure 60 fps is enabled. (That should be the default, but you never know)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Oh nvm, didn't see that latest post.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:23 pm

https://thestreamable.com/live-tv-strea ... s-channels

And updated article. Hulu Live TV supports 60 fps for most channels, except local CBS affiliates. I think they are supposed to roll out more channels later this year though.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Get a good antenna...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:37 pm

An antenna may or may not help, as not all networks are 60 fps ota. In fact, for some (I wanna say ABC and maybe CBS) I think it's down to the affiliate level as to what their broadcast standard is.

Ted

Postby Ted » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 pm

https://www.techhive.com/article/317975 ... ndles.html

This seems to answer my question. A lot of streaming services support 60 fps for ESPN, sports channels, but not on the networks which they stream at 30fps.

Which is why when I was watching college FB on ESPN/ACC Network on Saturday, it looked good, but when watching NFL on CBS and NBC, it wasn't.

That blows.
Buy a $40 antenna and get all of your locals free over the air.

Edit: yeah, what they said.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:21 pm

I will probably pick up an antenna for the one tv for NFL.

Next step, figure out this yonder.tv and get the nhl.tv so I can watch the Pens games.

Honestly, I'm probably not going to end up saving a ton more cutting the cord when it's all said and done, maybe $40/per month, but I'll probably have more content by the end. It's just keeping track what I'm signed up for.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 pm

My YoutubeTV trial lasted about 3 minutes. My whole streaming infrastructure is built on Firestick and they don't have an official app for it. My living room TV does but that's only a solution for one TV of three.

Deleted.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:10 pm

Man was just about to switch to YouTube TV over my DirecTV Now (which I guess is now ATT TV).. realized it isn't on the fire stick yet. Lame

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am

Monday night games on ESPN were perfect streaming, so it's definitely the CBS thing (I didn't watch any of the FOX games on Sunday). Hopefully CBS can fix that, supposedly they are by the end of the year.

Now onto NHL.tv and how to use yonder.tv or another blackout service.

Main question if anyone can answer, will yonder.tv also block out the local network affiliates (ie. KDKA, etc) since it is supposed to block your location, or is there a way to just turn it on and off.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 am

it hasn't blocked mine

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:39 am

it hasn't blocked mine
Awesome, thanks.

Anyone that has NHL.tv. What do they show on the team channels outside of the game? Is there shows or anything, or is this just to stream the games? Also, I'm assuming it's the home team feed (ie. we'd get the ATT sports broadcast).

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 am

I haven't had it for a couple of years, but I believe you can watch clips from the NHL network when a game isn't on. No other programming on outside of that, unless that's changed. You will not get any pre or post game coverage, and they even blacked out intermission reports on occasion. You should get both home and away feeds for all games, and even a third French stream for some of the Canadian games.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 am

it hasn't blocked mine
Awesome, thanks.

Anyone that has NHL.tv. What do they show on the team channels outside of the game? Is there shows or anything, or is this just to stream the games? Also, I'm assuming it's the home team feed (ie. we'd get the ATT sports broadcast).
You can watch either feed, home or away. I think you get the pregame show too? Don't quote me on that one though

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 am

Yeah, don't care about pre or post game stuff. Just want the game.

Thanks guys. Honestly, this has been a huge help from everyone figuring this stuff out.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:03 am

Also my sign up for Philo TV to plug in the channels that I don't have with Hulu. Hallmark (for the wife), all the Nick channels (for the kids), etc. Only $20 per month. Still keeps me about $60 below what I was paying for cable even after bumping up the internet service, getting Hulu, NHL.tv, yonder.tv and Philo.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:16 am

Like dodint and others have said, with the popularity of the Penguins, my "local" team's blackouts (Hurricanes), no playoff games, it didn't make sense for me to pay for 55 games for NHL.tv. If you watch non-Pens games, then sure, but I don't have the time/interest. I am stunned how well reddit works for all things streaming live sports. My only issue is that the links don't work well on mobile, despite saying that it should work on mobile devices.

I tried streaming Xfinity ESPN feed last night and it looked like garbage, but the ESPN app's feed via was excellent. No buffering, and 60fps. Same with NFLstreams over the weekend.