home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:02 am

NETFLIX starting to crack down on password sharing.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:04 am

Thanks Morkle

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:05 am

This was the one I found helpful back when Vue collapsed and I needed a new solution, they keep it updated: https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... -compared/
Okay, I thought it was the CNET page. I had checked that out earlier. The one I linked in my previous post allows you to select the channels you want and then compare all providers - even showing you how to stack them to get what you want. I guess if it ever came down to it, we'd have to see if we could just be okay with losing certain channels and switching to a single provider.
The Pens regional sports network is what lost out for us.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:06 am

Very pleased with YTTV. Works well with our Chromecast, naturally, but it's solid. Just lost the MLB Network though, but I'll bet that will be back by the time pitchers and catchers report next week.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:08 am

This was the one I found helpful back when Vue collapsed and I needed a new solution, they keep it updated: https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... -compared/
Okay, I thought it was the CNET page. I had checked that out earlier. The one I linked in my previous post allows you to select the channels you want and then compare all providers - even showing you how to stack them to get what you want. I guess if it ever came down to it, we'd have to see if we could just be okay with losing certain channels and switching to a single provider.
The Pens regional sports network is what lost out for us.
Honestly, looking at the list, we may be fine. With YTTV, the only channels missing would be A&E, History, Science Channel, Discovery Family, Lifetime, and NHL Network. For me, Science Channel would be a big loss. I watch so much stuff there.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:10 am

Yeah, YTTV does well for us. Especially now that they have Hallmark.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:12 am

It's difficult to get everything you want because things are so spread out. I'm actually paying more than I did for cable right now, but it's because I'm subscribed to:

HuluwithLiveTV
Fubo (during Pens season)
HBOMax
Netflix
Amazon (part of our overall Amazon Pkg)
Disneyplus
ESPNplus (part of Disney package)

I really enjoy Hulu, and they just added a bunch of channel (but also came with a price increase). If that just had root sports, then I'd be 100% in love with it.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:14 am

To add, one nice thing with streaming, you can drop and add anytime. I'll pick up peacock or paramount plus for a month here and there, binge things I want to watch that are exclusive to them, and then drop for months.

But for your replacement of cable, I like Hulu. But I also heard YTTV is really good as well, as long as you are ok w/o root sports or whateer it's called now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:15 am

It's difficult to get everything you want because things are so spread out. I'm actually paying more than I did for cable right now, but it's because I'm subscribed to:

HuluwithLiveTV
Fubo (during Pens season)
HBOMax
Netflix
Amazon (part of our overall Amazon Pkg)
Disneyplus
ESPNplus (part of Disney package)

I really enjoy Hulu, and they just added a bunch of channel (but also came with a price increase). If that just had root sports, then I'd be 100% in love with it.
Netflix, D+, and Prime we've already got covered. I dropped ESPN+ after one month this season because I'm not happy with the quality of their streams, and honestly, simply haven't watched many Pens games. The only way I'd make this switch would be to save a few bucks. I don't know if I'm there yet, but $197/month now for VOIP/TV/gigabit is making me look harder.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:15 am

I''m also not in the PGH area, so Root sports is a non issue here.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:18 am

To add, one nice thing with streaming, you can drop and add anytime.
In the email I got from YTTV about the failure to reach an agreement with MLB Network, they basically said feel free to cancel if you're upset about this development. :lol: OK then.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:45 am

YTTV w/Showtime, Max, and Starz
HBO Max
Netflix
Prime Video
Youtube Premium

I think that's everything I subscribe to. I dropped ESPN+ when they bumped the price up. I was watching Golf on there almost every week.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:50 am

YTTV w/Showtime, Max, and Starz
HBO Max
Netflix
Prime Video
Youtube Premium

I think that's everything I subscribe to. I dropped ESPN+ when they bumped the price up. I was watching Golf on there almost every week.
What does all that cost per month?

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:51 am

Yeah, if it weren't for the Disney bundle, I'd probably not pay for ESPN+, but because I have it, I actually watch some random hockey games, and I even watch some Duquesne and Robert Morris basketball games streaming on there as well.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:53 am

if things like YTTV and Fubo didn't come out yet and cable was still top dawg, most people that have HBO Max and Netflix and the like would probably still have those. So I don't think it's fair to add everything up and say it's more than cable, imo

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:55 am

Not sure. I included HBO Max twice by accident, but I use the HBO Mas app separately so that's how my brain thinks of it.

$95 for YTTV w/Showtime, HBO Max, and Starz
Netflix is $15.50 a month for the Standard HD plan.
Prime Video is 'free' because that's not why I have Prime. I almost never use it.
Youtube Premium is $20/mo because I host a family plan. This is the most important one, I'd shitcan the rest and only watch this if I had to.

So, about $130 a month. I can remember paying $180-200 for DirecTV so ultimately I'm still ahead. Aside from not having the regional sports net. I want to give the NHL money but they don't want it, so I stream that through the web browser on my FireStick.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:58 am

Source of the post Youtube Premium is $20/mo because I host a family plan. This is the most important one, I'd shitcan the rest and only watch this if I had to.
Is there any benefit outside of ad-free YouTube viewing? I'm honestly surprised that you pay for it, but I guess you may watch more traditional YouTube on TVs than I do.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 am

We get the ESPN/Disney+/Hulu bundle free through our Verizon plan. Not sure how long that will last, but it's saving us some coin.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:01 am

The ad-free part makes it the best value out of all of them. Youtube ads are obtrusive as **** and I never, ever see them anymore. If I click on a YT link at work I'm immediately hit with an ad, I don't get how people put up with that. But again, Youtube is probably 70% of my viewing hours. Channels are putting out well-produced long-form programming and I'm here for it. I can watch the Big Bang Theory with ads on TV or an hour of the Gaming Historian talking about how the original Super Mario was developed. The former is a fart noise with a laugh track, the latter is quality ad-free content.

To your question though, I'm also a Youtube Music user and that comes ad-free with access to a ton of music on demand as part of Youtube Premium.
Last edited by dodint on Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:01 am

****, I also just realized that I pay $30/mo for VOIP through Verizon. I could easily switch providers and pay half that, which kinda sways this decision.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:03 am

The ad-free part makes it the best value out of all of them. Youtube ads are obtrusive as **** and I never, ever see them anymore. If I click on a YT link at work I'm immediately hit with an ad, I don't get how people put up with that. But again, Youtube is probably 70% of my viewing hours. Channels are putting out well-produced long-form programming and I'm here for it. I can watch the Big Bang Theory with ads on TV or an hour of the Gaming Historian talking about how the original Super Mario was developed. The former is a fart noise with a laugh track, the latter is quality ad-free content.
Gotcha. The only reason I asked is because I don't get ads on YouTube on Firefox with my extensions, but that obviously doesn't apply to TVs. I do admit that I can't stand watching the 4-5 ads on Edd China's YT show on my TV, half of which can't be skipped.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:23 am

****, I also just realized that I pay $30/mo for VOIP through Verizon. I could easily switch providers and pay half that, which kinda sways this decision.
Why do you need that?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:25 am

Why do you need that?
I don't give out my cell for anything, and want to keep it as spam free as possible.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:27 am

We had Google Play Music for years, back when it was only stream what you've ripped and uploaded. With all Apple devices (except my phones), it made sense to get Apple One Premium for all of us (and my mother in law). I do miss the ad free YouTube that came with it. uBlock Origin takes care of the ads when I'm watching via desktop, but it's absurd on phone or TV.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:32 am

Sounds like it would be $144/mo for FiOS gigabit internet + YouTube TV directly through Verizon, so $153/mo if I include VOIP elsewhere. Now I have to figure out if it's worth the $44/mo in savings.