home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks, so it's basically the same thing, just through HBO? I rarely watch anything live and didn't want to miss out watching something a couple days later.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks, so it's basically the same thing, just through HBO? I rarely watch anything live and didn't want to miss out watching something a couple days later.
Generally, HBO Go episodes are available when they are airing live. So if Game of Thrones starts at 9 on TV, it'll be on the app at 9. Sometimes I've seen it not get posted until 10 or so, but for the most part they are right on time.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 am

Generally, HBO Go episodes are available when they are airing live. So if Game of Thrones starts at 9 on TV, it'll be on the app at 9. Sometimes I've seen it not get posted until 10 or so, but for the most part they are right on time.
I've used HBO Go and it worked nicely, but because of this dumb Dish merger issue, I can't access it anymore. I wanted to get HBO for game of thrones, but wouldn't mind watching 3rd season of True Detective airing now. Google will give you $15 play credit (which I'd use and watch some movies) if you sign up for HBO NOW through them this week. Just trying to weigh my options and see if it's worth getting $15 through google by getting this now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:19 am

Anyone here have Blink XT wireless cameras at home? It's a lithium battery powered 'motion' camera that I'm considering instead of a Ring, solely because it has free cloud storage. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZWHBJ4

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:12 pm

details are just coming out, but if this is going to offer AT&T Sports Net for Pens game, I'll gladly use comcast internet and then this for $5 a month

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/03/21/c ... -for-5-mo/
Internet-only customers at Comcast have a new option for TV starting next week. Comcast today announced Xfinity Flex, a streaming platform that’s only for internet customers as an add-on.

Details for Infinity Flex are still becoming available, but the basics so far are that it costs $5/mo. When you sign-up, you get a 4K HDR-ready streaming box and Xfinity voice-remote, access to “more than 10,000” free movies and shows, and an integrated guide.

The channel or service line-up includes ESPN3, Xumo, Pluto, Tubi TV, Cheddar, and YouTube. You’ll also be able to access your Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, and Showtime subscriptions too. Music services like Pandora, iHearRadio, and XITE will be there for those with a need for tunes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm getting pretty tired of paying over $200/month for AT&T/DirecTV. I'm kind of hoping this pissing match they have going with Comedy Central and the other 22 channels actually goes through so I can muster up enough ill will to call and cancel.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:29 am

2 PM PDT livestream for the Disney+ streaming service today: https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/th ... y-webcast/

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:48 pm

2 PM PDT livestream for the Disney+ streaming service today: https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/th ... y-webcast/
Thanks for sharing...but so weird that you gave everyone the Pacific starting time :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Well, it was mostly for @tifosi77 :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Well Disney is based bere. ;)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Ok, after 2 hours of corporate speak:

Disney+ launches November 12 in the United States
$6.99 per month, $69.99 per year.
The Mandalorian will be available at launch.

That's very competitive pricing...I figured $10 at least per month.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 pm

I like the sounds of that

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Netflix, prime, criterion channel, and Disney plus. That should do it for me.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Will they have all the Simpson episodes?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 pm

It also includes all of the Simpsons episodes...if I read that correctly. :shock:

I wonder if that means old Brooklyn 99 and other FX/Fox programming?

And Disney also owns National Geographic TV and Films...so Cosmos, Free Solo, etc. will be on there. And a new science show with Jeff Goldblum...

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:20 pm

I've been trying to get TV set up under my back deck for 3 weeks now. The first one arrived broken so I had to mess around with ordering something new and getting the damaged one picked up. Finally received the new TV Tuesday. I didn't want to spend a ton so I went with a TCL 6 series, 55 inch. I only turned it on to make sure it worked and had to go through some registration menus, and the picture quality looked surprisingly good.

Tonight I strung speaker wire and hung the speakers. Tomorrow the mount for the TV should arrive and I can see if things actually work. I do still need to build some sort of cabinet for the receiver and blu ray player. Right now they're on a metal rack and covered with a trap which looks so white trash (which I am but...)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Is there a website that allows for comparing a la carte services to multi-channel offerings in terms of content? We still subscribe to PS Vue, and I've been wondering if there's a magic combination of Hulu, Netflix, etc that gets us all the same content at a better price. Vue isn't nearly as expensive as DirecTV was, but I'm just curious as to what other OTT option there might be.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:58 pm

I've been trying to get TV set up under my back deck for 3 weeks now. The first one arrived broken so I had to mess around with ordering something new and getting the damaged one picked up. Finally received the new TV Tuesday. I didn't want to spend a ton so I went with a TCL 6 series, 55 inch. I only turned it on to make sure it worked and had to go through some registration menus, and the picture quality looked surprisingly good.

Tonight I strung speaker wire and hung the speakers. Tomorrow the mount for the TV should arrive and I can see if things actually work. I do still need to build some sort of cabinet for the receiver and blu ray player. Right now they're on a metal rack and covered with a trap which looks so white trash (which I am but...)
Nice work. I was really impressed with the TCL Roku tvs.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Nice work. I was really impressed with the TCL Roku tvs.
I'm impressed. I'm holding onto my Panasonic plasma like grim death and always figured I'd have to go with an OLED when it bit the dust. Now I'm not so sure.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Is there a website that allows for comparing a la carte services to multi-channel offerings in terms of content? We still subscribe to PS Vue, and I've been wondering if there's a magic combination of Hulu, Netflix, etc that gets us all the same content at a better price. Vue isn't nearly as expensive as DirecTV was, but I'm just curious as to what other OTT option there might be.
How you liking Vue? Does it have commercials?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 pm

How you liking Vue? Does it have commercials?
Oh the commercials....! Not only does it have most of the regular commercials you'd see on cable or satellite, but for every ad slot they don't sell they just insert a PlayStation ad. It can be for a game, or for upselling your Vue sub, or a little 30-second video detailing features of the service. So it's common for every 2-minute break you see 2 or 3 PlayStation-related ads. But it was only about two weeks ago I noticed that they started running new spots. So every commercial break for the last year I'd see at least one spot that I actually worked on and cleared. Woohoo.

:|
That said, it's pretty good value for money, imo, if you have the bandwidth. (They recommend 10 mbps for the main stream, and if you're on a PS4 using Multi-View you can add two additional PIP streams for which they recommend 5 mbps per; 20 mbps isn't a problem for most people in 2019.) Check channel avail by ZIP code (I think the Pittsburgh DMA offers local channels). I strongly recommend using a PS4 as your home device if you sign up. Account level stuff is better managed via web, but they sorta kinda optimize the user experience for console. The biggest asset to the service is a virtually unlimited capacity cloud DVR. In most cases, you select a show to add to the DVR, and every episode that has aired within the last month is instantly available. I think on our current DVR we have shows that we'd probably never have recorded before because of space limitations (like Aerial America on Smithsonian). The theoretical limit is, no joke, something like 500 individual programs. Not episodes. Programs. There's no limit to the number of episodes stored. The bummer is that I think each individual episode only has a 30-day lifespan in the DVR. That's not a technical thing, but was done for perceived user convenience, and there was talk of scrapping that when I, er, was asked to leave.

There are some restrictions for content on mobile devices that are out of Sony's control. Like, when I first started there you couldn't stream NFL games on your local channel over a mobile device because of an exclusive deal with Verizon (which actually may have been relaxed last season, I forget). Certain entire networks can't be streamed on mobile, because that particular network has its own app and they want to drive viewers there (iirc some of the cable news networks did this, I think HBO did, etc).

They lost BeIN Sports right after I started there (bye bye FC Barcelona matches), and they've never had NHL Network. Add that to some spotty local channel availability and the biggest drawback of the service is somewhat limited channel availability. It's also tied to your PSN account and billed through the associated Wallet, so if you jump in you may want to create a dedicated Vue ID in case you run into some kind of shenanigans with your main gaming ID. The mitigating factor here is some of the add-on channels (HBO, Shotime, etc) have discounts if you're a PS+ subscriber.

tl;dr - I worked on the product, the company fired me, we get free cable with our temp housing, and I'm still choosing to pay around $100/mo for Vue.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm

I feel bad. Your spoiler meant that I don't have to read the rest. Thanks tho.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:23 am

Source of the post They lost BeIN Sports
BeIN was dropped by pretty much everyone (**** Barca, BTW). All of this is creating a new problem of 'which service(s) should I subscribe to?' We went from the cable companies having everything, to adding something like Netflix, to now Netflix, Hulu, Vue, etc.

I'm curious to know what others are doing and paying for their entire TV solution. I only use FiOS, and pay $153/month for everything (including gigabit internet).

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:49 am

I’m paying $59.99 for fios internet only 100/100.
I’m on the directvnow grandfathered go big with HBO for $45 plus 7% sales tax. No sales tax on my fios.
Next month my directvnow is going up $10...still the best deal for the OTT tv, but the gap is getting narrow.
YouTube TV just announced a price hike too.
Next month my tv & internet will be $118.

That doesn’t include my yearly prime membership...we use my parent Netflix login, they have the 4K 4 simultaneous streams plan.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:55 am

I don't include my Prime membership in any of this because I view Prime video content as a bonus.