home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:26 pm

This dumb **** thing thought I was in Australia because I ordered something when I was there. Problem solved
You think it'd just query your ip...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:35 pm

This dumb **** thing thought I was in Australia because I ordered something when I was there. Problem solved
You think it'd just query your ip...
Yeah I don't get it. Have had probably fifty plus things delivered to my current address, as well as my last one. But the one item with the Aus address in my profile did it. It wasn't set to my default address either. Weird

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Man DTV Now on the Fire Stick with HBO for $90 less a month has been awesome so far. Bought NHL.TV and Yonder to get around blackouts. Good stuff

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:45 pm

I don’t use the network apps nearly as much because the on demand selection through the DTVN app is so good. We don’t even use the DVR because of it.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:59 pm

The app does not have great reviews online so I was skeptical. Not sure if I just got lucky or if they just updated it, but I had no problems at all. I like it

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:53 am

While paying my fios internet bill this morning I noticed my 2 year contract was up. I just renewed for another two years going from $49 25/25 to $59 100/100. I also got a free amazon echo...not bad.
Edit: I also get a year of amazon prime($119)

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:27 am

Since I’m internet only with Fios, I’m also going to try to get them to enable the Ethernet port to use a regular router.....the Fios quantum gateway costs nearly as much as that Asus rt-68U.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:48 am

Since I’m internet only with Fios, I’m also going to try to get them to enable the Ethernet port to use a regular router.....the Fios quantum gateway costs nearly as much as that Asus rt-68U.
If you don't use any Verizon cable boxes, or use FiOS On-Demand, you can run straight from the ONT to your router via Ethernet and ditch all of their gear.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:07 am

That is the plan, I’m going to try to attach the network cable to the coax and pull it through to the ONT.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 am

I'm 99% sure that Verizon has to enable the ethernet port on the ONT, FWIW.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:18 am

I’m using this as a guide, but I wonder if the phone number from three years ago would still work.
https://loganmarchione.com/2015/07/use- ... izon-fios/

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:27 am

Interesting. Only one way to find out, really. Is your ONT one of those old school grey/beige Motorolas? If so, you may want to have a technician come out anyway to swap it for a newer GPON unit (below) since it actually supports speeds above 100Mbps. They're technically required for any service above 75, but I'm sure not always done, since the old BPON units technically do work up to 100Mbps.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:34 am

Maybe when my new contract is up in two years :lol: I can’t say enough how great it is to be internet only.
It’s like those creepy sling commercials.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am

So I found an ASUS rt-ac68u router for $109 from Fry’s and placed and order for delivery. The cheapest other option was either a rerun on eBay(no) or ~$140 on Amazon. I checked on the order this morning and BACKORDERED.
Welp a couple more weeks of the old Verizon router is going to happen. I don’t have the really old one, but the MI424WR Rev I. Supposedly it capable of 100/100, but when I did the speed upgrade they told me I would need to upgrade. I’m getting 75-80 MBPS right now, but since I’m internet only I really just want to get rid of the Verizon stuff.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

So I found an ASUS rt-ac68u router for $109 from Fry’s and placed and order for delivery. The cheapest other option was either a rerun on eBay(no) or ~$140 on Amazon. I checked on the order this morning and BACKORDERED.
Welp a couple more weeks of the old Verizon router is going to happen. I don’t have the really old one, but the MI424WR Rev I. Supposedly it capable of 100/100, but when I did the speed upgrade they told me I would need to upgrade. I’m getting 75-80 MBPS right now, but since I’m internet only I really just want to get rid of the Verizon stuff.
$98 refurb on Amazon:

Asus -RT-AC1900P Wireless AC-1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router - Black (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JNK1KFW/re ... bCbPRGYKGZ

The AC68U is the same model as the AC1900.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:23 pm

If you're a student you can get Youtube Premium for $5.99, which is half price. First month free. This is not Youtube TV, it's the service that kills all ads on YT, gives you music I'm never going to listen to, and access to Youtube originals I'm not going to watch.

So, yeah, half price seems right.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:31 pm

I think it also gives you Google Play All Access too. I subscribe to that and get all of the YouTube Premium/Music/Whatever for free.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:27 am

I've done a lot with my Unraid server since I've last posted.

I got a promo price for a Plex Pass recently. It has a few neat music library features (enhanced bios, lyrics) and would allow me to use their DVR if I upgraded my ATSC tuner. Probably not worth it, but it was half the normal price. I spent a few evenings last winter re-ripping everything I own to FLAC and fixing metadata tags so it was pretty easy to refresh the library and spruce it up with the visual enhancements.

I've got Sonarr set up now too for a few tv shows my wife enjoys. It works so amazingly well - sometimes things are queued up before they even air.

And lastly (my favorite) I set up Pi Hole on the Unraid box. It acts as a DNS intermediary and does ad blocking for my entire network. It works on phone apps like Pandora and will allow sites like the Post Gazette and Forbes to load (whereas a browser blocker extension won't).

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:34 pm

I recieved a new (beta) directv now streaming box from AT&T. I doubt I’ll even open the thing as my AppleTVs work so well with the service.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:47 pm

After a 30 minute call(10 minutes on hold) I now have Fios connected to my own router through the Ethernet connection on the ONT. No more Actiontec bullshit!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:52 pm

:thumb:

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:33 am

I want to do a thing.

I want my garage lights to come on when I open my garage door. None of my current stuff is 'smart' but I am willing to invest some $ to make this happen. THe lights are currently on a 3-way switch (two different switches control the lights). I'd also like them to go off after I put the door down, or a set period of time.

What's the best way to do this? Is there an adapter I can plug in to my opener to make it 'smart' and then get a smart switch?
Am I better off to just get a motion activated switch/occupancy sensor?
Will these work with the three-way wiring?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm

I want to do a thing.

I want my garage lights to come on when I open my garage door. None of my current stuff is 'smart' but I am willing to invest some $ to make this happen. THe lights are currently on a 3-way switch (two different switches control the lights). I'd also like them to go off after I put the door down, or a set period of time.

What's the best way to do this? Is there an adapter I can plug in to my opener to make it 'smart' and then get a smart switch?
Am I better off to just get a motion activated switch/occupancy sensor?
Will these work with the three-way wiring?
OK so seems the best way may be to get a smart bulb in the garage door opener an IFTTT it to a smart switch on the main lights?

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:01 am

If you sign up for HBO Now, is it only live streaming? Can you access on demand content or HBO GO?

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 am

The hbo now app has on demand....hbo now is what you use if you pay HBO directly...HBO GO is for if you subscribe through your tv service provider.