home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:29 pm

techniiccccallllyyyyy

You've paid to watch it over cable, not your app. They've delivered to you the service you contracted for. ;)

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Then don't make me sign into the damn app. Don't worry, AT&T, nobody is downloading your app to watch Inside Pirates Baseball.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Kodi is out for me. Terrarium TV is the new choice.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:12 pm

I haven't touched Kodi in a while and my Dad got fed up with his too.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:42 pm

OTT streaming also brings with it myriad other complexities regarding transmission rights. Internet might not have been contemplated in the deal with the provider, and those rights are retained by the distributor (or team/league in the case of sports), or licensed to a third party. It's hideously complicated at times.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:04 pm

I haven't touched Kodi in a while and my Dad got fed up with his too.
Terrarium has been good so far but there’s a little learning curve. It synced well with my Trakt account.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:04 pm

DIRECTV NOW has CBS now in the Pittsburgh market. Good news for football season, I guess.

Now just waiting on ATTSN

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:50 am

Have they said if NFL games will be blacked out?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 am

Anyone buy a Fire TV cube? I did, but have some initial concerns over the functionality that has me debating whether or not to return it.
  1. If you setup both a TV and receiver, and tell it to turn on your TV, it will turn on both devices at the same time, and there is no way to change this (according to Amazon support). I rarely use my receiver, but would like to control it via the Fire TV when I do
  2. When you tell it to turn on the TV, it automatically switches to the HDMI input that the Fire TV is connected to, rather than the input that your TV is currently on. Again, Amazon says this is expected, and there's no way to change it. I did request that they submit this to their developers as a feature update, because the current setting is really only for cord cutters

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 am

So Spectrum has been calling me for a few weeks now, and I just ignore their calls. After the fourth or fifth attempt, I answered and got a sales pitch for Spectrum Streaming...which we've subscribed to (and paid for) for a month or two now. "Oh! I'm sorry sir! What about phone service to further reduce your bill?" <click> :face:

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:35 am

The only thing that gives me comfort when talking to a solicitor is that they probably hate their job just as much as I hate their job.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:37 am

Anyone have a Dolby Atmos soundbar? Mrs Tif is manifestly against anything remotely resembling a surround sound install in the living room (that doesn't involve in-wall speakers, which I kind of hate), and I'm thinking the Atmos bar might be the way to go.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:39 am

Anyone have a Dolby Atmos soundbar? Mrs Tif is manifestly against anything remotely resembling a surround sound install in the living room (that doesn't involve in-wall speakers, which I kind of hate), and I'm thinking the Atmos bar might be the way to go.
I don't, but a few buddies at work do and they can't say enough good things about it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:47 am

I don't, but a few buddies at work do and they can't say enough good things about it.
I'm surprised at how far and fast Atmos has come in home theater. I bypassed my 5.1.2 atmos setup in favor of 7.1 mainly because what I read a couple years ago said if it's not full 5.1.4, 7.1 still holds the advantage. I've been really pleased with my AVR mixing the atmos tracks into 7.1 with all of these 4k UHD discs, but I'd be lying if I haven't thought about yet another AVR for 5.1.4 or to switch to 5.1.2 and see what I'm missing. I've looked at the top firing speakers you can put on your front stage which bounce the sound off your ceiling and down to you, but I'm not sold on that idea either. I've been really impressed with my soundbar in the bedroom and what it can do, so maybe these atmos bars are the way to go? Besides physical media, is there a lot of atmos choices out there? I think apple TV is the first to adopt atmos with their device, does Netflix support atmos?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 am

I've never heard one, but since I've been perpetually planning my home theater for three years now, I can tell you that soundbars are universally hated, even the "Atmos" bars. You're just not going to get anything close to surround/Atmos from a soundbar. I'm sure you already knew that, though. My advice? Talk the Mrs into a 2.1 setup.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:16 am

I've heard Atmos bar demos in stores, and I can tell you - as a film audio nerd - the effect is frankly quite stunning. My question was more geared towards brand reccos.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:19 am

Ah got you. I'm sure it would work, especially if you can't install a legit surround, but man you should see the hate those soundbars receive on the forums and subreddit. Soundbar is a four letter word.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am

Of course, "connoisseurs" n'at.

These are likely the same people that think Dolby Surround had an actual surround channel.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 am

Is this a decent TV for the price? I know it's not top of the line, I'm just trying to get into 70"+ w/4k for less than $1500. It's replacing my 73" RPTV which, although 8 years old, I still really like. But we're going to take the RPTV to the Latrobe house and replace it with a more modern set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FRV68G/

I'm usually an LG guy for TVs, but this one isn't doing it for me: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TSTB5V/

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:10 am

Is this a decent TV for the price? I know it's not top of the line, I'm just trying to get into 70"+ w/4k for less than $1500. It's replacing my 73" RPTV which, although 8 years old, I still really like. But we're going to take the RPTV to the Latrobe house and replace it with a more modern set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FRV68G/

I'm usually an LG guy for TVs, but this one isn't doing it for me: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TSTB5V/
it gets the best budget tv for that size here

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x690e

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:13 am

if you are looking to future proof and are concerned with HDR, that TV has no local dimming to make it nice and bright to take advantage of that feature. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 am

Is that something you'd typically find on a sub-$1,500 TV of this size? I looked through Amazon and walked through Wal-Mart the other day and ended up with the two TVs I posted.

Thanks for the site, really informative. It's our primary TV, but I personally spend about 60% of my time on it playing video games and it seems to be highly rated in that regard.

I don't pay much attention to home theater stuff anymore. I'm coming from an 8 year old rear projection HDTV so I'm not sure that missing out on HDR at this time would be a huge deal. The site you posted said, if I'm reading it correctly, that most portions of scenes would still render well, if not as well as some other more expensive TV sets.

I don't really mind the smart features being poorly organized, I do most of my streaming from the PS4 or FireStick.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:32 am

I purchased a Sony TV 10 years ago, 40 inch LCD for $1200 :( I still have it and it functions perfectly still, but insane to see how the prices drop.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:43 am

We're starting to see some signs of age in our 55" Vizio, and I've been scoping a new set. I've had the same reverse sticker shock.... it's something else how cheap really good TVs are now. I think we paid around $1100 for our TV 7-8 years ago at Costco, and the equivalent in today's model lineup - which would be a 4k display with improved smart apps and such - is only around $700.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:50 am

That Mitsubishi 73" I've mentioned was $1,800 in 2010. It was, I believe, the last line of RPTVs available as Mitsu were the last to sell RPTVs here. Still a great TV and I'm happy I can keep using it at our other house. The idea that I'm replacing it with a direct view TV with better picture and features for several hundred less is awesome.

80"+ are still pricing about the same, from what I can tell.