home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:52 pm

Normal patch panels are usually just CAT5e/6 panels. Going with a blank 1U keystone panel allows you to use any keystone you'd like for all of your networking/A/V. That's a huge plus. Looking at the site now, a 24-port panel is under $8, so maybe we're looking at different panels?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Right, I was saying if I bought a normal/traditional patch panel. With the one you linked, you still need keystones, so it would be $8 + $1x where x-keystones. So could be $32.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Since you're going this route, I assume that you'll be making your own cables? You'll likely need the following:

I can vouch for the coax and punch down tools and the tester, but do not own that specific RJ45 crimper. I have one that's the same design, and have been using it for 20 years now with no issues. I don't like the other style crimpers at all.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Yes, planned on making my own. I have a crimper. Needed a punchdown tool, thanks for the link, cheapest I've seen.
Is there any benefit to running coax into the closet too? I was only planning on running Cat6, and the electrician handle the coax (but I did tell him to put one into the closet for my modem).

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:08 pm

You'll need to run it into the closet if that's where your cable boxes are being stored (assuming they use coax and aren't something like an Apple TV that'd be Ethernet instead). I find the coax compression tool handy in case you need to repair something down the road. I replaced all of the F connectors in my house with new ones because of how shitty the original installer crimped the cables. They pulled off the RG6 with no effort at all. These new ones are nice and snug.

Also, you mentioned a switch. Ethernet switch? I have this managed switch (they make bigger ones if you need the capacity) in my basement that all of my bedrooms and downstairs devices connect to en route to my router upstairs. Also highly recommended. TP-Link makes some that have POE in case you need something like that, too, and for very reasonable prices.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:16 pm

So perhaps I'm not doing this right. Would you not have any DVR boxes or anything at the TV location? Maybe I haven't thought this out completely.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:20 pm

I guess it all depends on how you were accessing all of these devices. If you were going to use IR extenders from your cabinet to the TV location, then you can put all of your devices in the cabinet itself and only have the TV in the viewing area. If I had a wall-mount TV, I'd probably go this route. My TV sits on a glass/metal stand, though, so my DVR, PS3, etc. are all located right there. Some prefer a cleaner look. I like being able to see the LEDs on the devices for instant status. I can tell when something's recording, when my TiVo transfers complete, see any warning/error lights, etc.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Yeah, it would be nice to have a cleaner look, but I don't mind them being there.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 am

Pro tip: if you lose the Apple TV remote, there is a remote app for the iPhone.

Once you get used to it, it's actually more responsive than the original. Allegedly, you can also use a universal remote, which is probably the best choice.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Okay, that’s a decent router. Definitely try connecting another device to the current setup, and then remove the router and run the same tests.
Finally got around to doing this. Unfortunately, we don't have another wired device in the house at the moment. (Mrs Tif is on the road and has her laptop with her)

Ran speed checks using Ookla (30 Mbs), Google (49.1), and my ISP's own utility (263.8 Mbs). All three tests were conducted back-to-back-to-back with the PC connected directly to the modem (i.e. bypassing the router) Went back to the normal configuration with the router and re-ran the tests: 7.3 Mbs, 5.6 Mbs, 260 Mbs, respectively.

:|

Mind you, I stream HDTV for 16 hours a day on weekends, and I'm not experiencing any issues. I just randomly ran the Ookla check a week or so ago and the result did not match what I'm paying for.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:34 am

sorry i was on vacation for a week.

i used keystone plates. allowed me to use plates for RCA, HDMI, coax, and ethernet. on the same wall port behind my tv.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 am

Directvnow added CBS in Pittsburgh last night, we now get local ABC, CBS, and NBC. Att SportsNet still isn’t available, and no announcement has been made, but they do have an app in the works. Perhaps once the app is available i’ll be able to use my brothers login info.
The end of the month marks one year since they began offering the service.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 am

Looks like this Black Friday is going to be decent for TV sales - a lot of 4K TVs are going under $1k. Still haven't bought one yet because the one I want hasn't gotten underneath $1400 in ages.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:54 am

Directvnow added CBS in Pittsburgh last night, we now get local ABC, CBS, and NBC. Att SportsNet still isn’t available, and no announcement has been made, but they do have an app in the works. Perhaps once the app is available i’ll be able to use my brothers login info.
if they'd just add ATTSN I'd be all in

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:21 am

Just to clarify, you're saying ATTSN is currently making an app that will be able to do live streaming, likely with a cable subscription login? That would be amazing. I have DirecTV and ATTSN but in an effort to better my relationship, I only watch one game a week on the TV. The rest I'll stream on the iPad while we watch one of our shows. The DirecTV app and NHL.tv black out streaming for Pens games, which means I'm stuck trying to find a stream online, which hasn't been super reliable this year. I'd love an app.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:49 am

This is on their website with no link to the actual app. Coming soon hopefully.
http://www.attsportsnet.com/att-sportsnet-app/

Requires authenticated subscription to qualifying cable/satellite/IPTV package.
C’mon directvnow!

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:14 am

This is on their website with no link to the actual app. Coming soon hopefully.
http://www.attsportsnet.com/att-sportsnet-app/

Requires authenticated subscription to qualifying cable/satellite/IPTV package.
C’mon directvnow!
I'm looking forward to this for sure. The FAQ page also just says "coming soon" so it's not very helpful. Actually, it says "AT&T SportsNet also anticipates developing an app where games will be available for viewing." Doesn't really fill me with confidence.

I also wouldn't be surprised if NHL games are blacked on the app so you have to purchase NHL.tv.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 am

Transferring this question over to the appropriate thread...
Pregunta: If I wanted to do more of a surround sound setup in my living room, mostly for watching sports and maybe listening to music...do the speakers make the man, so to speak? Or do I need a better quality TV first?

Currently I stream through my desktop PC into my TV...that's how I watch everything...if more details are needed, I can provide it...

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:37 am

Transferring this question over to the appropriate thread...
Pregunta: If I wanted to do more of a surround sound setup in my living room, mostly for watching sports and maybe listening to music...do the speakers make the man, so to speak? Or do I need a better quality TV first?

Currently I stream through my desktop PC into my TV...that's how I watch everything...if more details are needed, I can provide it...
You could go the quick and easy way and get a home theater in a box setup. That's generally looked down upon by enthusiasts but it's a simple solution.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 am

Yeah, to be clear, I don't need anything elaborate...I don't need my couch to shake when there's a big hit...I don't need to be ruining my neighbors' lives...but I've been in setups where you could hear different aspects of the game at different angles and it was very cool (if that makes any sense)...I just don't know what goes into replicating that.

I also have a tablet that it would be cool to tap into the speakers for music from as well...Black Friday seems like the right time to make a move if one makes sense...

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 am

It sounds like you just want a 5.1 system.

How do you watch games? cable box, streaming box, PC?

I ask because I'm not sure what kinds of audio tracks are used for various streaming services (meaning that if you only have a 2.0 audio track you might get some benefit from a surround speaker set up, but it wont be as meaningful as a 5.1 audio track).

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

PC -> TV. No cable box, no streaming box. I don't even really know what the term "streaming box" means...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 am

How much do you want to spend? You could get a decent HTIB from Amazon from Onkyo for like 250ish probably that would serve your needs.

I used something like the below for a good bit and it worked for me...

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3800-C ... er+package

If you want to spend a bit more could get a decent receiver standalone and some bookshelf/center/surrounds for probably 400 to 500ish all together. I have a Denon receiver now with Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelf's/center/surrounds and with a sony sub and it sounds pretty darn good for the room it's in.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 am

Not too terribly much, as it's not overly important to me and I think I have a pretty limited setup to work with as is...I'm not sure what kind of quality I'll enjoy given how my setup is...

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 am

steaming box = roku, apple tv, fire stick, etc

unless it's a Windows 10 app you're using I seriously doubt there will be any 5.1 audio tracks. Most all internet audio comes across as 2.0 AAC (such as Youtube), and for quality surround you're going to want sources with 5.1 Dolby Digital (aka AC3).

Any audio system will have "surround matrixing" (thats when the receiver tries to expand sound to all available speakers), but the quality of that is subjective.

When you're watching a sporting event with a true 5.1 mix you hear announcers and production audio in the center channel, and the other four are used for stadium/arena sounds (crowds, goal horns, PA audio, etc).
Last edited by Miami Vice on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.