home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:38 pm

More importantly, who is forcing you to ask this? Blink twice if you need help.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 pm

lol

My wife asked if we could do it. I told her that I already posted the live pens game without a cable subscription question here and the responses were laughter. She said we can jail break a fire stick. I said if that were a legitimate option someone here would probably have suggested it. She said to ask again. So here I am...

Could be worse. I could have married someone who didn't care if we could watch live hockey or not. She was all for cutting the cord a month ago but now that hockey is 2 months away she's starting to get the shakes.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:12 pm

lol

My wife asked if we could do it. I told her that I already posted the live pens game without a cable subscription question here and the responses were laughter. She said we can jail break a fire stick. I said if that were a legitimate option someone here would probably have suggested it. She said to ask again. So here I am...

Could be worse. I could have married someone who didn't care if we could watch live hockey or not. She was all for cutting the cord a month ago but now that hockey is 2 months away she's starting to get the shakes.
:lol: https://sportsurge.net

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:23 pm

Doesn't one of the meme stocks that's constantly being mentioned in the Investment thread offer streaming of AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh?

Wouldn't be free, though.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:50 pm

My son has started to jusy open doors and go outside to play. While I don't mind this because we are so far away from anyone else there is little danger, I just want to know he is outside playing. So I tgought about getting some door sensors that will just alert me that an exterior door was opened. I kind of thought maybe there is a security aspect too. What systems are good for this type of thing? Samsung smart things hub? Alexa? We have a wyze cam already.
This is one area where you're going to want to look at what you want and go with one system from the start, be it SmartThings, HomeKit, etc. I run SmartThings, and have sensors on my front door, but those are mainly to used to assist in my door lock program so that it doesn't attempt to re-lock if the door is ajar. The sensors are cheap and easy to use. There are plenty of SmartApps that will notify you if a door is opened.
Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I'm not heavily invested in any system yet, so I want to know which one is the best.

I also want to be able to link two cameras (indoor) and try to use them as baby monitors/nanny cams.
What kind of cameras do you have, and do they integrate into multiple systems? For stuff like Ring, I'm not sure that it matters as much, as they normally have their own apps that handle notifications - and I prefer Ring's app to SmartThings for that sort of thing.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:58 pm

My son has started to jusy open doors and go outside to play. While I don't mind this because we are so far away from anyone else there is little danger, I just want to know he is outside playing. So I tgought about getting some door sensors that will just alert me that an exterior door was opened. I kind of thought maybe there is a security aspect too. What systems are good for this type of thing? Samsung smart things hub? Alexa? We have a wyze cam already.
This is one area where you're going to want to look at what you want and go with one system from the start, be it SmartThings, HomeKit, etc. I run SmartThings, and have sensors on my front door, but those are mainly to used to assist in my door lock program so that it doesn't attempt to re-lock if the door is ajar. The sensors are cheap and easy to use. There are plenty of SmartApps that will notify you if a door is opened.
Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I'm not heavily invested in any system yet, so I want to know which one is the best.

I also want to be able to link two cameras (indoor) and try to use them as baby monitors/nanny cams.
What kind of cameras do you have, and do they integrate into multiple systems? For stuff like Ring, I'm not sure that it matters as much, as they normally have their own apps that handle notifications - and I prefer Ring's app to SmartThings for that sort of thing.
I have one Wyze camera. I also have a baby monitor camera that I don't believe is supported on anything other than the monitor receiver. So, I'd be ok with starting fresh

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:50 am

I have one Wyze camera. I also have a baby monitor camera that I don't believe is supported on anything other than the monitor receiver. So, I'd be ok with starting fresh
Another thing to add is that you'll have to decide on Z-Wave or Zigbee protocol for the devices. All of my stuff is Z-Wave, including my outlets that act as repeaters for stuff like my front door lock (Yale Assure). I'd recommend checking out the devices you'd be interested in getting to see which way to go. This site has a massive compatibility list, including some guides on helping you choose: https://aeotec.com/smartthings/compatibility/

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:15 am

I'm seeing that Peacock is finally available on Fire TV, Fire Sticks, and Fire Tablets. I have yet to check on my fire stick, but this would be really good news for me and my fellow EPL fans.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:24 am

thank the lord

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:25 am

thank the lord

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:22 am

We downloaded it about a month ago for Firestick. My wife wanted to watch a show she saw at my Dad's house but I don't think either of us has opened it since that first time.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:28 am

I'm one of the few idiots who pays for Peacock Premium Plus. I use it mostly for WWE Network but I have watched a few other shows/movies. I just watched E.T. the other day. The UI is **** terrible but the selection isn't awful.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:58 am

I'm downloading ET right now. Daughter wants to see it for one of our movie nights.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:06 am

I'm downloading ET right now. Daughter wants to see it for one of our movie nights.
I've seen it a million times and somehow I'm always caught off guard by how sad it is. I can't believe I'm crying about this ugly alien turning crusty white... again. Peacock's movie selection reminds me of the early Netflix Instant catalog. A surprising amount of classics/ solid flicks mixed in with **** like Psycho 3.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:10 am

Yeah, I couldn't find any of these movies on Netflix, Prime, etc. The Great Outdoors, Big, The Toy, The Goonies, and a few others. I own all of them on DVD, but they're in boxes in my basement.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:18 am

I'm pretty sure Goonies is on HBO Max. Just quickly looked and Great Outdoors and Big are both on Starz, and apparently nobody wants The Toy. I'm sure you're already aware, but justwatch.com is a great source.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:30 am

Already aware, yes. And no, I don't have HBO Max.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:35 pm

We've used the library quite a bit for the classics.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:09 pm

We've used the library quite a bit for the classics.
My first thought was "oh cool, which library? HBO Max? Criterion Channel?" :face:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm

millennials :roll:

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Anybody have Verizon for TV + internet? If so can I ask what package/how much?

I have Verizon internet (100/100) @ $112/month and that seems expensive for the speed. On top of that I’m paying DirecTV a ridiculous $175/month. Considering bundling with Verizon.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:07 pm

Anybody have Verizon for TV + internet? If so can I ask what package/how much?

I have Verizon internet (100/100) @ $112/month and that seems expensive for the speed. On top of that I’m paying DirecTV a ridiculous $175/month. Considering bundling with Verizon.
We have 3 boxes with whole house dvr, FiOS gig speed internet, and the 2nd highest channel pkg and I think we pay like $180 a month to Verizon.

I know we have some discounts from me haggling and doing auto pay, but it's not bad at all.
Last edited by skullman80 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 pm

We pay $80 for 200/20 from spectrum, and I thought that was expensive. We have no other options though.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 pm

I have Verizon fios 200/200 internet only for 39.99.
If you have Verizon you can get -$10 a month for using autopay.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 pm

I have Verizon fios 200/200 internet only for 39.99.
If you have Verizon you can get -$10 a month for using autopay.
Wat. How long have you had that price? I use autopay and I’m at $112 for half the speed.