home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Recommended internet providers in Westmoreland county? Verizon, who I have now, doesn't service my address out by Twin Lakes. My parents have Citizens and they say it's not very good, I think they have it as a holdover from when they lived closer to Mammoth.

Xfinity seems to be the answer but I've never heard anyone ever say a kind word about them.
Have xfinity in Murrysville, decent upload and download speeds, usually don't have service interupts, and only time I really had issues was due to my router being old and garbage.

Also agree with eddy that they will increase the bill.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 pm

They could probably raise ad-free Youtube to $50 a month and I'd pay it.
For some reason, it sort of irks me that you don't get ad-free YT with a YTTV subscription. The two are distinct products/services, so I'm not sure why it bugs me.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 04, 2020 1:52 pm

I probably watch straight Youtube more than any other platform and the front loaded ads for every video really got to me towards the end. $50 might be a stretch but I'd pay significantly more than what I am now.

The Xfinitiy deal I was looking at is $39.99/mo for a year and then jumps to $94.99/mo after that. :lol:
That's not counting the equipment at $14/mo either.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:17 pm

We watched the Prince tribute concert On-Demand, which was broadcast on CBS. I will never watch another show on CBS ever again; they disable ad skipping and other DVR functionality for On-Demand playback, and so we had to sit through all of the commercial breaks, and every single one of them was 2-3 minutes of straight up CBS shillery. I am now actively rooting for the network to fail as a result of that trauma.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Hardest part about watching Pluto TV is that they only have 2 or 3 advertisers so every commercial break is the same.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:36 pm

Pluto TV is apparently going to be integrated into TiVo in the very near future.

In other news, my ancient yet awesome Creative Inspire P7800 speaker/sub system for my PC has been acting weird for a while now, and getting worse. The sub makes noise (popping) damn near constantly, and I believe it's coming from the volume/bass control. I thought I'd be out of luck finding a replacement, but somebody on eBay has a handful of them, so I snagged one. Hoping this resolves the issue, as I'd hate to have to buy a new system.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:11 pm

HBO Max is running a preorder special, where you get access to HBO Now now and pay $11.99 a month (down from $14.99) for 12 months. Not too shabby.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat May 09, 2020 6:24 pm

HBO Max is running a preorder special, where you get access to HBO Now now and pay $11.99 a month (down from $14.99) for 12 months. Not too shabby.
What if I already have hbo now and do you have to pay the yearly deal up front

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat May 09, 2020 7:11 pm

What if I already have hbo now and do you have to pay the yearly deal up front
Right. They’ve said existing customers would get Max but haven’t said how or who exactly. I have HBO for free since I have ATT unlimited & DirecTV. Do I get the upgrade to Max also?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:36 pm

My TV has stopped responding to remote signals. Both from its OEM factory remote, and the PS4 universal remote. Is there a fix for that?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Can you buy an external remote sensor?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Sitrep: The device is also unresponsive to the physical controls on the side of the box. I don't think a different remote sensor will help, I think it's dead.

(10-year old Vizio XVT 3D 55)

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 12, 2020 10:34 pm

Ten years is a good run for a Vizio.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 pm

Well crafted backhanded compliment.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Haha.... so did some Google research.

I unplugged it for a minute, plugged it back in. Got an unending flashing logo on the front panel (this happen periodically; the TV freezes picture then reboots itself, and during the shutdown cycle the logo does the flashy thing for 30 seconds or so), so I unplugged it again for another minute. Plugged it back it, and it powered up and is acting normally.

However, I noted something else weird yesterday. Have an ADT security system (came with the house), and the home run for the system in in the closet with our washer/dryer. I noticed the monitor was displaying an error message, and none of the 8 cameras were up. So I power cycled the DVR/control unit. Cameras came back online, but the HDD is making a periodic clicking noise now. Neither the TV nor the security box are plugged into surge protectors; the TV is direct into a wall outlet, the ADT thing is plugged into a multi-outlet extension/strip. Might it be possible that we had a minor surge or brown out type thing yesterday? Literally every other piece of electronics that would've been on and running when I noticed the TV went INOP was plugged into a surge protector/conditioner.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 13, 2020 10:51 pm

So....in order to get internet with ATT we went ahead and got DirecTV.

We didn't have cable/sat for 9 years.

Fitting that there is no baseball or sports now.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu May 14, 2020 10:05 am

So....in order to get internet with ATT we went ahead and got DirecTV.

We didn't have cable/sat for 9 years.

Fitting that there is no baseball or sports now.
DirecTV is great for those first few contract years. After that, they will slowly up your bill each month until before you know it, you're paying close to $200 for just TV. Before AT&T, you could call and negotiate an entry level price, but lately they've been much harder to deal with and the customer service is ass. I would've cancelled long ago, except my fiancé loves the tennis court channels that are exclusive to DirecTV during the grand slam events.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 14, 2020 10:27 am

That's what led us to cancel Directv 9 years ago.

scb147

Postby scb147 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:46 am

Got an unending flashing logo on the front panel (this happen periodically; the TV freezes picture then reboots itself, and during the shutdown cycle the logo does the flashy thing for 30 seconds or so), so I unplugged it again for another minute.
My 8-9 year old Vizio does the same exact thing. I'll be sitting there watching it, picture freezes and audio cuts out. TV reboots with the blinking logo. It has done this for a last 3-4 years. I read it has something to do with a capacitor inside the TV. I've just learned to live with it until it finally gives out.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:36 pm

^^^Yeah, that's where we are now re the TV. "Well, this is the thing now...."

It used to happen maybe once or twice a year. But of late, it's 3 or 4 times a month. It feels like just a matter of time before it goes kaput.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Source of the post It feels like just a matter of time before it goes kaput.
Want me to come over and push it off your stand? You can then finally upgrade.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Haha, it's a wall mount. I actually considered staging a fall when unplugging it. "Uh, sorry Mrs Tif. I must have knocked it off the bracket or something..... by accident......."

We want to repurpose that TV to outdoor duty when we upgrade, so I can't be too flippant.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Just do what I do - buy the TV and see if your wife even notices. Of course, that may be harder these days...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Many years ago she wanted a Wii, and I was sort of against it. But we got it, and played some sports games together for a week or so. Months went by and as a goof I unplugged it, just to see when it would be noticed. (This was sometime in the summer) I traveled overseas for work in October, and when I got back I asked if she played Wii games while I was away, and she was all "What? Oh, yes. Lots of times. I played a lot of Wiis."

I sold it on eBay the next week.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu May 14, 2020 2:53 pm

Just do what I do - buy the TV and see if your wife even notices. Of course, that may be harder these days...
My Dad bought my step-mom one as a Christmas gift. Replaced the old one a few days before (bedroom). She didn't notice until he told her.