home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Yeah, when I found out that the game was blacked out in the Pittsburgh market, I had no issues going on and finding a stream online. I really don't like doing it in general, but when it's that kind of BS, I have no issues with breaking the rules a bit.
Reported.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:10 pm

So as I mentioned earlier I prepaid for DTVNow and got the free Apple TV.

DTVN will completely black out like 5 minutes into a new channel then I have to select it again. Wtf?

It was completely down last night. That happen often?

The Apple TV can't recognize my location so I have no local channels. I tried resetting it, rebooting, no luck. Any ideas?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 pm

DTVN was down for me also. Started right at 8 pm. I thought it was something with my Chromecast... Guess not. We've subscribed for about a month, and that was a first.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:04 am

So as I mentioned earlier I prepaid for DTVNow and got the free Apple TV.

DTVN will completely black out like 5 minutes into a new channel then I have to select it again. Wtf?

It was completely down last night. That happen often?

The Apple TV can't recognize my location so I have no local channels. I tried resetting it, rebooting, no luck. Any ideas?
Do you have any vpn or ad blocking enabled? You probably already have it on, but make sure you have location service turned on.

I had the blue jackets/caps game on tues night during the outage, and I never lost service. Seems that the authentication servers were the issue. I think there was issues on other services tues night too...Amazon specifically.
Check out r/directvnow, I’ve seen people have the no locals issue before.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 pm

PlayStation Vue is broken.

The native console app simply will not start. It stayed on the load splash screen overnight Thurs/Fri. They pushed an update midday Wednesday, and after that restart, the service is dead.

So we've been streaming using Chromecast. What an insane difference. The picture quality is so much better it's honestly like we have a new TV. The native app doesn't use the full edge-to-edge picture, instead having about a 1" blackout around the whole screen. Chromecasting the mobile app does not do this. However, we are starting to run into interruptions in streaming.

In 15 years of DirecTV, the sum total duration of service interruptions we experienced was perhaps ten minutes. That's been a daily thing with Vue, acknowledging that streaming via WiFi is not the ideal approach. And now, simply accessing the service is compromised. I was happy to pay half as much for 95% of the content, but if this is the new norm, I'm out.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:06 pm

And of course, literally one minute after I post that, Sony pushed an update to the console app and everything works fine now.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:44 pm

It's like they are trying to spite an ex-employee. 😂

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:36 pm

:lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:42 am

Also, re the picture issues....... our TV was recognizing the PS4 as a different device than the DirecTV receiver that had been plugged into that same HDMI input. So it was using a different color temp preset, which was cooler and darker. And the black border was fixed in the console settings and adjusting the overscan on the TV to match. Spent 14 months watching TV wrong.

Tl:dr = Tif is a dope.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:05 am

Directv NOW app still doing funky sht on my apple TV.
I've pinpointed it to like 20-30 seconds after the DTVNow app starts. Screen goes completely black but app itself doesn't crash...all I have to do is navigate to the guide and select the channel I was watching again.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed May 02, 2018 7:43 am

Any time I had an issue with the app i’ve reinstalled. Usually it only happens when they push out a bad update. The only issue I remember having with the AppleTV was it not waking from sleep...I had to hard reset. While the AppleTV is on, hold the menu and tv buttons on the remote until the light blinks on the AppleTV and then restarts.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:39 am

I've had a couple of issues with the app, at least on Android. It will desync with Chromecast, meaning I've selected one show on my phone to cast, but it launches another channel (usually from the last time I used the app). Another issue is that it will launch muted, which is odd. Neither of these issues happen with iOS (which my iOS-using wife and son like to give me **** about).

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed May 02, 2018 9:18 am

At least in the iOS app there is a setting for mute on start that somehow turns on after some updates.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am

Any time I had an issue with the app i’ve reinstalled. Usually it only happens when they push out a bad update. The only issue I remember having with the AppleTV was it not waking from sleep...I had to hard reset. While the AppleTV is on, hold the menu and tv buttons on the remote until the light blinks on the AppleTV and then restarts.
Thanks. I will try this. And also try the hard restart on the ATV (I'm still having location issues... I just haven't cared enough to troubleshoot that one yet)

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 am

I finally cut my Dish Network, and decided that at least throughout the summer (and possibly beyond) the cheapest $20 Sling TV tier is all I need. I have one 2 quick questions:

1) Sling offers AirTV bundle (player+adapter, $119 on AirTV.com) + RCA HDTV Indoor antenna (what Sling claims $45 value) for total of $70 for new accounts. How "useful" is AitTV? (Alternatively, Sling just offers the antenna without AitTV for free)

2) Ultimately, when fall starts, I am thinking about switching to Hulu rather than upgrading Sling to "full" $40 package (most importantly, CNBC - one of the channels I care about- and DVR are a standard part of Hulu, while they cost extra with Sling). Will AirTV be somewhat useful even for Hulu, or is it just very much a Sling-integrated device?

Thanks!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 am

I have the AirTV. It is first and foremost a Sling and Netflix box. It has a limited google play store for apps (I just checked... Hulu is available), for instance, I can't take advantage of my HBO subscription through comcast on the AirTV app. But it has pandora and spotify which is nice.

The over the air channels are nice if you're close enough to the stations. I got an indoor antenna I can get Fox, ABC, CBS and PBS and a few other goofy channels. I cannot get NBC though.

All said, if I lived in a place where my local channels came in clear and I didn't care about getting AT&T sports Pittsburgh, I'd stick with it, because it's really nice to have all the channels in the same user interface. Unfortunately my local channels don't come in great and I do care about AT&T sports, so I think I'm going to go back to xfinity until DirectTV now figures things out for rural areas.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 am

I tried cutting comcast after my bill went up to almost $200 over the weekend. We have phone, tv and internet and I just want the internet and they threw their best at me and got all of that down to $140 locked in compared to $108 for just internet. There is still a dissatisfaction with keeping them, but for that price difference and no other internet options, I guess it will do.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon May 14, 2018 8:36 am

Since I went to internet only, my TV viewing habits decreased considerably. I really don’t have any must watch shows anymore other than 10-12 episode series that I binge watch anyways.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 14, 2018 8:42 am

Since I went to internet only, my TV viewing habits decreased considerably. I really don’t have any must watch shows anymore other than 10-12 episode series that I binge watch anyways.
That's my problem with it. I honestly don't watch anything except hockey with comcast so it kills me seeing a bill every month knowing that some months I won't even turn cable on. So I basically pay $360 a year for hockey and a landline. ugh.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 am

I tried cutting comcast after my bill went up to almost $200 over the weekend. We have phone, tv and internet and I just want the internet and they threw their best at me and got all of that down to $140 locked in compared to $108 for just internet. There is still a dissatisfaction with keeping them, but for that price difference and no other internet options, I guess it will do.
Sucker.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 am

Sucker.
pretty much.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 am

Directv Now is launching their DVR today. It looks like the free DVR will be capped at 20 hours..nothing about paying more for extra time. They are also offering a third viewing stream for $5/month extra.
I really don’t use the DVR as most of what I watch is available on demand.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am

Directv Now is launching their DVR today. It looks like the free DVR will be capped at 20 hours..nothing about paying more for extra time. They are also offering a third viewing stream for $5/month extra.
I really don’t use the DVR as most of what I watch is available on demand.
20 hours should be more than enough for DVR. Get ATTSN and I'd make the switch.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 am

Half of my shows would be deleted if I only had 20 hours of capacity.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am

I was on the DVR beta and I used it once or twice. Right now I’m watching Westworld, but it’s through the HBO Go app.