home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:01 am

the soap opera effect
That's a great name for what I'm experiencing. It's transformed how I perceive Parks and Rec streamed on Netflix. It's basically a different show now.

The very first thing I watched on it was the opening race sequence from Ready Player One in 4k. It's so crisp that you can 'see' the CGI a lot clearer, it's nearly a letdown. Nearly. Amazing stuff, though.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:03 am

LBL, the Youtube 4k timelapses are exceptional. A lot of the 4k content is just regular channels that happen to be shot in 4k. But the ones that are shooting to the medium are fantastic.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 am

the soap opera effect
That's a great name for what I'm experiencing. It's transformed how I perceive Parks and Rec streamed on Netflix. It's basically a different show now.

The very first thing I watched on it was the opening race sequence from Ready Player One in 4k. It's so crisp that you can 'see' the CGI a lot clearer, it's nearly a letdown. Nearly. Amazing stuff, though.
that's definitely an issue with some things as fx are handled in 2k a lot of the time, but I thought Ready Player One in 4k looked great overall. DId you turn off the SOE/motion option?

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:13 am

LBL, the Youtube 4k timelapses are exceptional. A lot of the 4k content is just regular channels that happen to be shot in 4k. But the ones that are shooting to the medium are fantastic.
if you have a roku 4k or chromecast ultra, you can really take advantage of 4k youtube videos with HDR. Google is funny about what devices actually broadcast HDR through youtube, so you have to dig a little. I think those 2 above and the shield tv all do, not sure about apple tv. Also can't watch HDR movies through Google Play except with a chromecast ultra

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:13 am

Yeah, but maybe not until after I watched that sequence. The CGI wasn't terrible, it was just an 'ah ha' kind of moment when stuff was flying around but you could really see the outline of it. Compared to a theater experience, where I also watched RPO, it was noticeable but not detrimental.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:15 am

Altered Carbon on Netflix in 4k HDR is perhaps the best example of eye candy for a show I've seen. They shot it with the Arri Alexa 65 camera and it's simply gorgeous.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

if you have a roku 4k or chromecast ultra, you can really take advantage of 4k youtube videos with HDR. Google is funny about what devices actually broadcast HDR through youtube, so you have to dig a little. I think those 2 above and the shield tv all do, not sure about apple tv. Also can't watch HDR movies through Google Play except with a chromecast ultra
I watch on a PS4 Pro; I purchased RPO through Youtube and it's coming through as HDR, at least the TV thinks it is as it puts up an HDR notification when I launch, same as Netflix.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

Currently I only have my Xbox 1 X connected to my 4K monitor, but I'll have to check out some YouTube with it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:18 am

cool, maybe they updated it. I know I went out and got a Roku at one point because it was the only thing that would work for youtube HDR. Planet Earth 2 is another one that takes advantage of how good the format can look.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:19 am

I'd be interested to see how 4K looks on a large screen like the one you got.
I can't remember if you're local, but I"m having a party starting next Friday night through Sunday at the house, you're welcome to stop by. It has a video game theme to it so the TV will be going through its paces most of the time.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:19 am

After a quick search it looks like as of Dec 2017 4K has been available. Truthfully I never even thought to look on YouTube for 4K videos.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:21 am

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:07 pm

I'd be interested to see how 4K looks on a large screen like the one you got.
I can't remember if you're local, but I"m having a party starting next Friday night through Sunday at the house, you're welcome to stop by. It has a video game theme to it so the TV will be going through its paces most of the time.
I am local, however I go camping with a buddy and his family over Labor Day. I appreciate the offer though!

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks eddy. I'll have to check these out.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:17 pm

It has been noted that it is often the case that VFX are 'shot' at a lower res than the rest of the film, because render times and resulting file sizes would be comically huge otherwise. That's a problem now, because, for I believe the first time ever, home consumers can watch content in their living room at the same resolution that they experienced in the theater. What works on a 50' wide screen that takes up maybe 40° of your visual scan most certainly does not work on a 70" TV that you're sitting 8' away from and which occupies 60° of your field of view. And since 4k is relatively new, that means people were likely taking 1080p into account when setting up their viewing environment; well, 1080 to 4k is a bigger jump in fidelity than 480 (DVD) to 1080 was. So that just doesn't work anymore.

The three biggest reservations I've had regarding updating to a 4k display: Relative lack of native content, reservations about what 1080 up-res material looks like, and a compromised viewing environment.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:28 pm

The three biggest reservations I've had regarding updating to a 4k display: Relative lack of native content, reservations about what 1080 up-res material looks like, and a compromised viewing environment.
Same here. I don’t subscribe to Netflix, so the only 4K content for me would be YouTube and torrents - which is still sparse, at this point. I’m also a bit further away from my TV than 4K would really be best viewed at.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 pm

reservations about what 1080 up-res material looks like, and a compromised viewing environment.
That's my biggest worry. I have 1,000+ DVDs. They look darn good on a 1080p display but I imagine they wouldn't hold up well at all on 4K.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:37 pm

The only native 4k content I know I consume is The Grand Tour on Amazon.

I'd like to see what the up-res stuff looks like; I'm told that because the source material is high-res to start, that it's better going 1080-4k than 480-1080, despite being something like 4x the jump in pixels.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Do you not have any 1080p sets now, tif? I wouldn’t even consider upgrading my Samsung LED 1080p set for another 2-3 years because it’s not that old to begin with.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:42 pm

No, we have a Vizio 1080 LED LCD that's about six years old, give or take. It's starting to have sort of intermittent dead pixels, so the update question is a little more pressing.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Same here. I don’t subscribe to Netflix, so the only 4K content for me would be YouTube and torrents - which is still sparse, at this point. I’m also a bit further away from my TV than 4K would really be best viewed at.
Netflix requires all new content to film in 4k, they are leading the pack in regards to this. I specifically went the Sony route because of their processer and upgrading content. Bluray look incredible in 4k and a lot of the time, you'd be hard pressed to see the difference between that and an actual 4k disc. I watched a burned DVD from 18 years ago last week and was impressed with what it could do. That's completely on Sony and their X1 chip or whatever it is, incredible stuff. I read an article recently about the DVD, bluray and uhd market and was shocked at how big DVD sales still are. UHD was somewhere around 5%.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:10 pm

The only native 4k content I know I consume is The Grand Tour on Amazon.

I'd like to see what the up-res stuff looks like; I'm told that because the source material is high-res to start, that it's better going 1080-4k than 480-1080, despite being something like 4x the jump in pixels.
Grand tour on Amazon in 4k is glorious, easily up there with the best I've seen on Amazon.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:15 pm

One of the biggest surprises I've seen is watching game of thrones on HBO GO and how amazing it looks. Watch it on Comcast and looks like crap. Comcast has easily been the worst part of owning a 4k tv

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:21 pm

There is 4K GoT?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm

I assume he's upscaling with his Roku/TV in a way he can't with Comcast.