home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:49 pm

That's where I'm at. I just upgraded to 150/150 (for free, basically), and the only real benefits for me would be my online backup and when I download torrents, which isn't too often. Not sure that's worth $20/month.
Yea, on the phone with verizon right now, because I saw a deal last week that said $79.99 a month for double play, went to hit it today and it went back to what I'm being charged now. Why does all internet companies just need to be shitty? Why can't the thing just seamlessly work without them trying to just get anything they can.
At least with Verizon you can mix and match each item in your bundle. Comcast now just offers very specific bundles that you cannot modify, which is just absurd. I had to go through this with my dad late last week.
So I actually just called, and for the 150/150 for free and am paying as I would 100/100. Just annoying I had to do all these hoops.
It is, yeah. I've renewed 4 times now, and have breezed through it each time. I generally check my account online about 3-4 months before the contract ends, and find a deal on my page, like I did last week. I renewed entirely online, and returned the Quantum gateway 5 minutes after it was delivered, since they force it on you (so dumb).

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:04 pm

That's where I'm at. I just upgraded to 150/150 (for free, basically), and the only real benefits for me would be my online backup and when I download torrents, which isn't too often. Not sure that's worth $20/month.
Yea, on the phone with verizon right now, because I saw a deal last week that said $79.99 a month for double play, went to hit it today and it went back to what I'm being charged now. Why does all internet companies just need to be shitty? Why can't the thing just seamlessly work without them trying to just get anything they can.
At least with Verizon you can mix and match each item in your bundle. Comcast now just offers very specific bundles that you cannot modify, which is just absurd. I had to go through this with my dad late last week.
So I actually just called, and for the 150/150 for free and am paying as I would 100/100. Just annoying I had to do all these hoops.
It is, yeah. I've renewed 4 times now, and have breezed through it each time. I generally check my account online about 3-4 months before the contract ends, and find a deal on my page, like I did last week. I renewed entirely online, and returned the Quantum gateway 5 minutes after it was delivered, since they force it on you (so dumb).
I hate the stupid Quantum gateway... can I ditch it and use my own router? They tried telling me before I couldn't. I assumed they were lying but didn't want to fight with them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:08 pm

I hate the stupid Quantum gateway... can I ditch it and use my own router? They tried telling me before I couldn't. I assumed they were lying but didn't want to fight with them.
It depends. Do you have any Verizon cable boxes? Do you use Verizon VOD? If your answer to either of these is 'yes', then you need the gateway. If not, you can use your own router. If your current ONT is connected to your router via coax, your first step is to get Verizon to come out and run Ethernet from the ONT to the router - or do that part yourself and have the tech enable the CAT5 port on the ONT.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:10 pm

It depends. Do you have any Verizon cable boxes? Do you use Verizon VOD? If your answer to either of these is 'yes', then you need the gateway. If not, you can use your own router. If your current ONT is connected to your router via coax, your first step is to get Verizon to come out and run Ethernet from the ONT to the router - or do that part yourself and have the tech enable the CAT5 port on the ONT.
Ah that's right. NOw I remember.. .yeah.. we have the Fios cable boxes and phone(g/f now wife had this before I moved in). It's run via coax not ethernet. I think that is why it was going to be a hassle to change it out. I remember I wanted to use my own ASUS router and that is why I couldn't. Maybe I'll hit them up and see if I can have them swap out from coax to ethernet..I could do it myself too I guess if they are willing to toggle on the Cat5 port on the ONT.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:13 am

Even though my FiOS contract just started yesterday, I already have a new offer on my front page - same package that I have now, but with gigabit internet for $10/month more. Seeing as how my bill hasn't gone up in 8 years, I'm seriously considering doing this.

Edit: I added that deal to my cart, and my total bill is only going up $5/month; Verizon bumped up one of the bundle discounts another $5. @Morkle, you may want to login to myverizon.com once your new contract starts to see if you have any deals like this available (if it interests you). I'll gladly spend $5/month more for gigabit internet.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am

Is it possible for an LED LCD to have intermittent dead pixels? Like, sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:37 am

It sounds like it could be a stuck pixel? You can give something like this a try: https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-t ... s-0131651/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 am

Even though my FiOS contract just started yesterday, I already have a new offer on my front page - same package that I have now, but with gigabit internet for $10/month more. Seeing as how my bill hasn't gone up in 8 years, I'm seriously considering doing this.

Edit: I added that deal to my cart, and my total bill is only going up $5/month; Verizon bumped up one of the bundle discounts another $5. @Morkle, you may want to login to myverizon.com once your new contract starts to see if you have any deals like this available (if it interests you). I'll gladly spend $5/month more for gigabit internet.
Does that break the new contract? Or just re-up for two years?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Source of the post Does that break the new contract? Or just re-up for two years?
It looks like it's a brand new contract, since it goes effective tomorrow. My new contract end date is now 2 days after the one I just signed up for yesterday. I also didn't pay any termination fee (the waiver you agree to before accepting new contracts).

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Source of the post Does that break the new contract? Or just re-up for two years?
It looks like it's a brand new contract, since it goes effective tomorrow. My new contract end date is now 2 days after the one I just signed up for yesterday. I also didn't pay any termination fee (the waiver you agree to before accepting new contracts).
Yea that's what I was wondering, if I'd pay $300 or whatever that termination fee is, how do you tell when you rnew contract is supposed to start?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Yea that's what I was wondering, if I'd pay $300 or whatever that termination fee is, how do you tell when you rnew contract is supposed to start?
I think that fee only applies if you cancel service. I didn't get my new contract start date until Verizon sent me the confirmation e-mail, where it shows both the order date and effective date.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Says my effective date was yesterday after I spoke with them. I'm only seeing a gigabit upgrade from $79 to $99 a month. I'll keep checking I guess.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Any cord cutters out there have Hulu live TV?

I'm so fed up with DTVNow. It's constant buffering. Blaming my connection (50mbps down). Rand "content not authorized" in the middle of a show.

My prepaid trial is up so Im gonna hop.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:20 am

decent deal if anyone is looking for a new receiver

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-RZ620-C ... 9KK6Y878S2

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:21 am

Did dodint ever get his TV?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:24 am

Yeah. Awesome value.

The side lighting wreaks havoc by creating very uneven blacks when the screen is mostly dark, like during load screens for video games, but other than that it's been great.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:34 am

Should have gotten an oled.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:35 am

How are you liking the jump to 4K?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 am

I knew the limitation when I purchased it. I think for $1,100 shipped it's a quality piece of equipment.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:39 am

There are some really interesting 4k Youtube videos out there. :o

4k gaming is a trip. It took me well over a week to adjust with Rocket League. There was just TOO MUCH information being presented and I couldn't really see what was going on. Now that I'm used to it I'm back to form. Gran Turismo: Sport looks a lot crisper for sure.

Subscribed to the 4k Netflix plan. I actually don't like it much for movies, makes everything seem overly polished and fake. Quality programming looks like handicam news footage. It's great for sports, documentaries, etc.

Things looked a lot better when I calibrated the screen as well, factory settings were way off.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:41 am

You gotta turn off that motion enhancement or video smoothing garbage.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:45 am

I'm at a point now that I probably should update my DirecTV DVR to something that receives 4k. I've had the same receiver since probably 2012. If they had a DVR transfer service I'd be all for it but I don't want to delete everything I have on there.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 am

You gotta turn off that motion enhancement or video smoothing garbage.
the soap opera effect is interesting with really good 4k content. For youtube videos and documentaries, I like to crank it up as it gives a more realistic picture to something that should look more real. I still have issues using it for movies and tv shows

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:57 am

I'm at a point now that I probably should update my DirecTV DVR to something that receives 4k. I've had the same receiver since probably 2012. If they had a DVR transfer service I'd be all for it but I don't want to delete everything I have on there.
There is very little 4k content through tv providers, hell they still haven't got 1080p right yet. Besides OTA channels, DirectTV may have the best quality programming on a 4k set. My comcast looked so much better on the old 1080p tv. Streaming or physical media (UHD) is where it's at for picture quality.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:00 am

There are some really interesting 4k Youtube videos out there. :o

4k gaming is a trip. It took me well over a week to adjust with Rocket League. There was just TOO MUCH information being presented and I couldn't really see what was going on. Now that I'm used to it I'm back to form. Gran Turismo: Sport looks a lot crisper for sure.

Subscribed to the 4k Netflix plan. I actually don't like it much for movies, makes everything seem overly polished and fake. Quality programming looks like handicam news footage. It's great for sports, documentaries, etc.

Things looked a lot better when I calibrated the screen as well, factory settings were way off.
I haven't dug into YouTube 4Ks yet. RL felt drastically different for me as well, the depth of everything seemed to change.

I'd be interested to see how 4K looks on a large screen like the one you got. I got a 28 inch Asus gaming monitor so all I needed to do was select the correct pre-configured settings mode and I was good to go.