home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Just do what I do - buy the TV and see if your wife even notices. Of course, that may be harder these days...
My Dad bought my step-mom one as a Christmas gift. Replaced the old one a few days before (bedroom). She didn't notice until he told her.
Exactly. And unless you're going significantly bigger, that's likely going to be the case. My wife didn't notice the new TV in our bedroom until I told her, too.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm

So ESPN released an HD version of the 1998 NBA finals game 6 tonight. Can you, for lack of better word, upscale old footage? Or does this mean they had HD cameras then?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm

The very short answer is if it is shot on film you can process it to a very high resolution, if it was shot on video you are boned.

The long answer:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Cool cool I'll watch that tomorrow. I'm curious because it seems that it's only a couple of angles for the whole game and not the normal broadcast. So I took that to mean they may have had a couple HD cameras since Google tells me HD came about around then. But perhaps those are the cameras they had on film. Made me wonder

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 27, 2020 9:28 am

HBO Max is available now. There is a lot that was advertised that is not available on launch, which is pretty disappointing. The non HBO series options are seriously lacking. The movies seem pretty good but it'll be interesting to have a streaming service which rotates films as often as HBO. Also, as mentioned in the movies thread, the TCM section is awesome. Can't wait to dig into that.

The UI is unfortunately a reskinned HBO GO. Which means it sucks. Oh also, no Roku or Amazon Fire app. Yikes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 27, 2020 9:32 am

I really like how Youtube TV handles content and plan to subscribe to HBO Max through them. Currently I have HBO as an Amazon Prime Channel and its not great unless you already know what you're looking for.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 am

Well, nevermind:
YouTube TV: HBO Max will be available as an add-on to YouTube TV customers at launch; users must log in separately to an HBO Max app on a supported platform.
It's not yet available as an optional membership in my YTTV account, either.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:27 am

I'm going to test out using Chrome on my PC to cast the 4k version of 1917 to my Sony TV, since that's one of the only two options I have (the other being a USB key with the video file on it).

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 27, 2020 3:28 pm

I've complained too quickly again.

HBO Max is fully integrated into YTTV and available for subscription, with a 7-day free preview no less. So that's been subscribed and my HBO channel on Amazon dropped.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Hell yeah

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Thu May 28, 2020 8:19 am

This may have been covered here already, but I couldn't find it if it was. I'm looking for recommendations for a fairly inexpensive projector just to use in my back yard. I'm assuming lumens are the most important thing to look for? I'm only going to be using it for occasional movies and if sports ever come back.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 am

This may have been covered here already, but I couldn't find it if it was. I'm looking for recommendations for a fairly inexpensive projector just to use in my back yard. I'm assuming lumens are the most important thing to look for? I'm only going to be using it for occasional movies and if sports ever come back.
In the past, I'd always take one from work for the night and that worked great because it was a pretty nice projector, but I recently got some cheap generic projector as a gift and it works fine for what I want to use it for. I'd look on Amazon, you can find one for under$250 which will work for using it once or twice a summer. I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my A/V needs and I wasn't thrilled with this gift, but I've used it a handful of times so far and it's been fine, nobody seems to notice any of the imperfections except me.

https://www.openaircinema.us/blogs/news ... -projector

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Thu May 28, 2020 1:44 pm

This was included on a list of best outdoor projectors (budget). Anyone have any thoughts? Basically, I just want something bright enough and not blurry for sports. HD would be great, but not a deal breaker for how little I'll be using it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Our backyard has almost an amphitheater shape to it. There's a dug out fire pit at the top of the hill. We were just chatting the other day how nice it's going to be to have an outdoor projector for the amphitheater area and the adults can just hang out up at the fire place while the kiddos are watching something. Can't wait.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm

My FiOS contract is up in August. I chatted with them this morning to see what was available, and the only thing I was told was that I could retain all of my services for an additional $44/month. That's definitely not happening. I can apparently call in to get a better deal, so I may wind up going that route if nothing better comes along.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:37 pm

I've always had good luck chatting with Fios and getting deals. We just restarted our service in the new house (well next weekend), but it was painless to chat them up and get things going and even get some extra discounts.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:51 pm

I've always had good luck chatting with Fios and getting deals. We just restarted our service in the new house (well next weekend), but it was painless to chat them up and get things going and even get some extra discounts.
Same here. I've mentioned it before, but since we bought this house (2011), my monthly payment has gone up under $20/month total over that period of time. I'll just keep chatting with them every few weeks and go from there. I can't imagine that they'd be willing to let me walk, especially right now.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:10 pm

We are now 1 week into error NP-37602-8 preventing logins to the YouTube app on PS4. Sony pushed out a system update last week that borked the ability to login; they pushed an update last night that did not fix anything. Yay.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 am

It is known, @tifosi77

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Yeah, about 3 or 4 hours after I posted that we tried logging in and found success!

This was the longest service outage I've experienced in the PlayStation ecosystem. Past outages have been rectified pretty quickly in my experience.... but then I don't really make use of many of the other services, so I don't know how out of the ordinary this really was.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:32 pm

I ditched my 75" TCL because it sat a little too low and one of my dogs was always lunging at the TV when he saw an animal - real or cartoon - on the screen. Rather than have to worry about him eventually destroying it, I decided to downsize to a 65" and wall mount it. I went with a Sony Bravia and added some bias lighting. I know it's no OLED, but I have to say, I'm pretty darned impressed. Definitely the closest I've come to my Panasonic plasma.

Obligatory crappy cell phone pic.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:21 am

Very nice

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:50 am

I saw your ad and wondered for a moment if the wife would like to have a 75" in the living room and move the 65" into the bedroom. :lol:

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:06 pm

I saw your ad and wondered for a moment if the wife would like to have a 75" in the living room and move the 65" into the bedroom. :lol:
Do it! :lol:

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Is anyone here using a NAS to stream movies? I'm thinking about buying one and slowing ripping my blu ray/dvd collection. Should I be aware of any issues with uncompressed video and audio? I'd like be playing media via my Apple TV 4K.