home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

BigMck

Postby BigMck » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Boxing up old electronics gear for an upcoming move, I discovered the last DVR we had from DirecTv. There are some old hockey games and concerts that were recorded that I would love to watch again, but when I plug it in, it goes straight into setup mode and starts looking for a satellite.

Being that they never requested the unit to be returned, I wonder if I pull the hard drive out and am able to figure out how to connect it to a PC if the content will still be watchable? I have heard that the unit scrambles content that is recorded, so I would hate to waste the time only to end up with encoded moving frames.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Source of the post Being that they never requested the unit to be returned, I wonder if I pull the hard drive out and am able to figure out how to connect it to a PC if the content will still be watchable? I have heard that the unit scrambles content that is recorded, so I would hate to waste the time only to end up with encoded moving frames.
It's most likely encrypted, so you'd be wasting your time.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:31 pm

AFAIK, DTV DVR recordings are encrypted to playback only on that one receiver, so you can't just copy the file. The only way I know of for transferring content is to connect the receiver to a laptop/PC with a video capture card. Then you play the recorded program back, and re-record it on the PC in real time.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Captain Obvious stuff, but I got around to setting up my center channel speaker substitute (broke mine in the move) and now I'm back to 5.1 instead of 2.0. Huge difference when watching Pens games, the goal horn really fills the room.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:09 am

would it be possible to use an emulator through google play on my Sony Android TV? I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I honestly have no idea how to go about trying something like that. Any ideas?

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 am

would it be possible to use an emulator through google play on my Sony Android TV? I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I honestly have no idea how to go about trying something like that. Any ideas?
that should work, and you should probably be able to do some really cool stuff through kodi in the newest version, which has emulator and rom support built in

you will need to have rom files on a thumb drive attached to the tv, loaded directly onto the tv (es file explorer maybe) or perhaps in the case of kodi a network location.

for a controller a bluetooth one will work.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 am

Source of the post that should work, and you should probably be able to do some really cool stuff through kodi in the newest version, which has emulator and rom support built in
so I just need Kodi and Roms (and the controller)?

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 am

yea. i havent set emulators on kodi up, but i know that was a major feature in the newest version. that would allow you to set up the library with all the cool images and metadata.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 am

yea. i havent set emulators on kodi up, but i know that was a major feature in the newest version. that would allow you to set up the library with all the cool images and metadata.
That would be awesome. I never used KODI, so it's all new to me, but I'm going to do some research

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 pm

I guess this goes here...

Anyone have a good pair of noise cancelling headphones? I've got a trip lined up to Orlando in February, and my boss told me to expect to have to travel more here in the near future, so that's a lot of time on planes. I'd like to get a pair, but do I really need to spend the $350 on a pair of bose?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Anyone have a good pair of noise cancelling headphones? I've got a trip lined up to Orlando in February, and my boss told me to expect to have to travel more here in the near future, so that's a lot of time on planes. I'd like to get a pair, but do I really need to spend the $350 on a pair of bose?
not that these are cheaper, but they are supposed to be excellent as well.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/headba ... /mdr-1000x

I looked into a pair and those are the 2 that kept coming up.

you can find some reviews here as well

https://www.rtings.com/headphones

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:11 pm

I prefer Sennheiser or deep in earbuds. I don't like over the ear or big headphones. Something small, sleek, and solid drowns anything out.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I downloaded Kodi and watched a YouTube video and got an add on game build or something like that installed. Spintv or something like that. I was able to get a snes emulator installed through there, but it downloaded the system to Android TV as a game. I still download roms from Kodi, just play outside that? Not how I wanted through Kodi but it works. I can only get snes to work , but it's a good start. Thanks

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 pm

Can we stop bumping this thread til directv now has root sport spit
? Kthx

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 pm

I prefer Sennheiser or deep in earbuds. I don't like over the ear or big headphones. Something small, sleek, and solid drowns anything out.
sennheiser is better for sound. worse for noise cancelling. bose is the winner there. but they're cheaply made and may not last long.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 am

sennheiser is better for sound. worse for noise cancelling. bose is the winner there. but they're cheaply made and may not last long.
I've had in-ear Bose headphones, they're comparable if not worse than any other in ear bud. If you want over the ear noise cancelling - the sony is better. Bose is not worth the cost.

I've tried dozens of different headphones to reduce sound and the plane "buzz" you often hear even with noise cancelling.

A pair I have right now - imported from China are my absolute favorite: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093VVP0Q/

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:21 pm

At Best Buy today to get new phones. While we were there, I picked up an Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable.

It was a lot of fun to set up, brought back some memories. Of course it's a cheap knockoff, but it's certainly not bad for what it is. I broke it in this afternoon, while we set up our phones, with - Gaucho, Led Zeppelin 4, and The Royal Scam.

Gonna need, at the least, a better mat and cartridge, but it's a fun piece.
Last edited by Willie Kool on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Pluto TV now has The Gorilla Channel.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 pm

? Kthx
Every time I see this bumped I hope to see ATTSN was added

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:43 pm

? Kthx
Every time I see this bumped I hope to see ATTSN was added
What’s the status of their app that was supposedly coming soon?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 pm

I don't know dog

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 am

The attsn app is available for iOS, but still not on directvnow.
Looks like regular directv customers can use the app, but Comcast and Fios currently cannot. The providers available are extremely limited.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 pm

The attsn app is available for iOS, but still not on directvnow.
Looks like regular directv customers can use the app, but Comcast and Fios currently cannot. The providers available are extremely limited.
Oh **** seriously? That’s awesome. Finally being a regular DirecTV customer pays off.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Just tried it. Doesn’t work. I don’t know why I expected anything different.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Just tried it. Doesn’t work. I don’t know why I expected anything different.