home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:03 pm

Hahaha I'm still using it. This is the attempt at an upgrade. I got several years of use out of it...and still would if it would just send sound via HDMI to my TV...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:07 pm

Before you buy anything, check out newegg.com to see what they offer, just to do your own due diligence. That's a great chipset, so I don't think you'd have performance issues, personally.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:10 pm

Not to condescend, just curious. Have you tried your PC via HDMI like you want, but on an HDMI port on the TV that you know works? Any chance this is the TV and not the PC?
If you haven't tested this, see if one of the HDMI ports on the TV has an ARC designator on it and see if that helps. It shouldn't matter but it might.

I assume your buddy tried this but I don't want to assume.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Yeah, I tried all of the combinations. Because on one of my other TVs, I get a little different results between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2...but it just didn't do it...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:15 pm

I love seeing Comcast lose money.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:35 pm

Suggestions on an outdoor screen and projector setup? I am thinking this will be a good Christmas gift for my son. Bonus points if it's portable enough to take camping with us also. Are the blow up screens too much of a novelty?

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:42 pm

Suggestions on an outdoor screen and projector setup? I am thinking this will be a good Christmas gift for my son. Bonus points if it's portable enough to take camping with us also. Are the blow up screens too much of a novelty?
I bought a viewsonic projector for outside. I'll have to see if I can find the link. It's been more than adequate for what we use it for.
Football and hockey both look good enough for the amount that I use it for that. I built a frame out of furring strips and wrapped blackout cloth around it for the screen. I keep it in our garage and hang it outside with carabiners when we want to use it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:55 am

What do you do for sound?

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:00 am

What do you do for sound?
I bought a bluetooth transmitter that I plug into the projector and pair it with a speaker. Higher end projectors have bluetooth built in but they were way more money. The transmitter was like $30 on Amazon.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:42 am

Is the sound quality good? What is your AV source? Just curious if I would need a laptop or if there's a way to cast my phone to the projector?

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Is the sound quality good? What is your AV source? Just curious if I would need a laptop or if there's a way to cast my phone to the projector?
The sound seems to be as good as the speaker it's paired with. I haven't had any issues so far. The source is a firestick plugged into the hdmi port in the back of the projector. The audio comes out of the aux jack into the transmitter.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:26 pm

I use a Roku with my projector. The Roku remotes have a 3.5mm jack that I can plug into a portable speaker. Works surprisingly well.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:11 pm

Nice. Thanks for the tips dudes. Does anyone have the blowup projectors?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:46 pm

Just purchased an LG C1 65”. Reeeeeal excited. Should be a huge upgrade over my 12 year old 1080p Sony set.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm

I got a 16 foot inflatable screen for $111 on Amazon. Are the no name brand projectors decent on there? They have a few for sub-$150. What specs do I need to look for in a projector?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:01 am

Xfinity stream app is now available on fire sticks… just an FYI.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:29 am

Xfinity stream app is now available on fire sticks… just an FYI.
It actually works pretty well, too. I take it everywhere I go for work and can watch anything that's on my DVR on the hotel TV. Been waiting for this for a long time.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:50 am

Yeah. For me to get good internet it costs just as much to have the cable too. Now I can watch pretty much anywhere. I had it on my phone and tablet. Now with it being available on a fire stick, it’ll be really nice.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:07 am

Yeah. For me to get good internet it costs just as much to have the cable too. Now I can watch pretty much anywhere. I had it on my phone and tablet. Now with it being available on a fire stick, it’ll be really nice.
That's what I keep coming back to. I could cancel the Showtime and HBO to cut some cost but everytime I do something comes on we want to watch and I get it back again. Otherwise with two of us working at home we need the fast internet and Comcast is the only provider. FIOS ends at the city line which we can see from our house and they have no plans to extend the extra 1/8 mile. We had Comcast internet with DirecTV for a while but it's not cost effective. We even have a land line, it costs basically nothing more.

The cost is still really high but it's the only option, unfortunately. For $100 less a month I'd be pretty happy with Comcast.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:44 pm

I currently have a 65" Sony Bravia X950G for my main TV. I'm debating whether to replace it with an 77" LG C1 Oled. Is the difference between LED and OLED really as great as it's hyped up to be? Obviously the higher real estate would be nice, but am I going to feel good about dropping $3K or am I just falling for FOMO?

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:48 pm

I currently have a 65" Sony Bravia X950G for my main TV. I'm debating whether to replace it with an 77" LG C1 Oled. Is the difference between LED and OLED really as great as it's hyped up to be? Obviously the higher real estate would be nice, but am I going to feel good about dropping $3K or am I just falling for FOMO?
I’m picking up the 65 C1 tomorrow. I’ll let you know.

By the way, while researching this tv along with all the collaboration and other settings, it’s easy to see how older folks can get overwhelmed by technology. I haven’t bought a TV in 10 years and I feel **** lost. There are so many customization options.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 pm

I’m picking up the 65 C1 tomorrow. I’ll let you know.

By the way, while researching this tv along with all the collaboration and other settings, it’s easy to see how older folks can get overwhelmed by technology. I haven’t bought a TV in 10 years and I feel **** lost. There are so many customization options.
I'd appreciate that! Thanks!

If I end up buying the C1, I might spring for professional calibration. It's just a pain getting a pro to come out here to the sticks.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:13 pm

See i even said “collaboration” instead of “calibration.” I’m hopeless.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:56 pm

I also have a Sony 65" X950G. I have a hard time imagining that it'd be that much of an upgrade other than screen size. The only TV that I'd really consider to be enough of an upgrade from a quality standpoint to make me think about switching would be the LED 8K Sony Master Series Z9J, but the $$$ on it is insane.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:16 pm

Can you control the light in your room? If it’s bright, OLED is going to be at a disadvantage. Do you watch a lot of content with static station markers? Burn in is a concern with OLED.

Your X950G is a terrific set (I have an X900F, and my dad has an X950G). The SmartOS is light years better than LG’s, too.

If I were looking for a new set, I’d actually take a look at the latest Samsung. They’ve apparently fixed their issues of recent years.