home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 12, 2015 11:18 am

if you're designing rooms, i'd check out SweetHome3d. awesome software.

and how much did the presence of a basement factor into your decision on the house. 100%?
Hahaha - 70% would be more accurate. I was looking at a lot of row houses, so something with a 3rd floor bedroom would have been sufficient too. Eventually I decided I really wanted a garage, so I kept looking for ranches or split levels that would give me the built in garage and a rec room space.

I had planned on budgeting a few thousand dollars to finishing the basement and adding a wet bar. Fortunately for me that was already done. Less fortunate is the age of the roof and furnace.

Thanks for that link - now I know what I'm doing tonight.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 12, 2015 11:32 am

Luckily I've already convinced the ole ball and chain that I need some space similar to that in our future home. Somewhere to do all my brewing, sports watching, and video game playing. That looks like a great space. Are you going to roof mount the projector? How dark can you get it in the day time? Or are you just planning on using it for when it's dark out?

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 12, 2015 11:51 am

I didn't know you brewed (home brewing spiel spoilered)
I did with a friend a few years back. We just did bottles a few times. I still have the large pot and carboy - I'd like to get back into it (the closet in the far right of the room would make a great place to stash it). I just asked a friend to procure a corny keg for me. I looked into a hot plate, thinking that I could use that behind the bar where the large laundry basin in, but it seems those don't get hot enough
I'm going to use an Optoma HD26 and ceiling mount it right about where the picture was taken. I'm still debating a 110" diagonal (96" wide) or up 138" diagonal (120" wide). I'm building a partial faux wall about a foot out where the screen will be, and sticking my speakers behind it. Thats the magic of spandex - its pretty inexpensive and makes a great acoustically transparent material. I will fill out the rest of the space with dark curtains (I want easy access to the laundry still, which might necessitate a smaller screen).

The white walls and ceiling tiles are going to be painted navy blue (Behr Very Navy m500-7). The stained wood will stay for now. I think those two will go well together, and will help me darken the room without looking like a dungeon. I'm going to hang a poster over the window.

The rule of thumb with projector screens is this - if you have a really good projector capable of great contrast, use a white screen. If you need to cheat a little to get better blacks, use a silver one (at the expense of over all brightness). The common logic is to get pieces of each color and use one as a backing for another. It prevents light from shining through the screen. And you can test out both in your space to see which one you want facing you.

Seating will be a cornered sectional, sitting right about where the drop ceiling ends. The door to the garage is immediately to the right of where the picture was taken, and I want the seating on that side of it. I'm not into the formal "home theater" seating.

The new receiver is a big debate point. Its a place I can shave a few hundred dollars of the cost by keeping features low. I definitely want at least 7 channels. The new trend is to add 2 more on the ceiling. Dolby Atmos is already out in the wild, and DTS' competing system will show up this fall. Some of the current systems that support the Dolby standard will get firmware upgrades to enable the DTS flavor, but probably not the ones in my price range. So I likely will just go for a 7 channel system and skip the object oriented formats for now.

Then we are going to do carpet squares on the floor. http://www.carpet-usa.com sells variety packs of color families pretty cheap. My calculations say about $200 to do the whole thing. I'm still mulling if I want greys or earth tones.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Yup... got into it about 2 years ago or so. Here's my setup for my beer (I hate bottling, so went to kegs almost immediately):

http://imgur.com/a/DIk09

Would love to keep this set-up when we move. Might need to go into storage for about a year until we buy a place and then break it back out.

Painting the ceiling tiles will be nice. Keep that corner dark while keeping everything else a little brighter. Also, I'm with you on the formal theater seating. Throw in a couch and have a few chairs as back-ups and you're fine.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu May 14, 2015 3:58 pm

I didn't know you brewed (home brewing spiel spoilered)
I did with a friend a few years back. We just did bottles a few times. I still have the large pot and carboy - I'd like to get back into it (the closet in the far right of the room would make a great place to stash it). I just asked a friend to procure a corny keg for me. I looked into a hot plate, thinking that I could use that behind the bar where the large laundry basin in, but it seems those don't get hot enough
I'm going to use an Optoma HD26 and ceiling mount it right about where the picture was taken. I'm still debating a 110" diagonal (96" wide) or up 138" diagonal (120" wide). I'm building a partial faux wall about a foot out where the screen will be, and sticking my speakers behind it. Thats the magic of spandex - its pretty inexpensive and makes a great acoustically transparent material. I will fill out the rest of the space with dark curtains (I want easy access to the laundry still, which might necessitate a smaller screen).

The white walls and ceiling tiles are going to be painted navy blue (Behr Very Navy m500-7). The stained wood will stay for now. I think those two will go well together, and will help me darken the room without looking like a dungeon. I'm going to hang a poster over the window.

The rule of thumb with projector screens is this - if you have a really good projector capable of great contrast, use a white screen. If you need to cheat a little to get better blacks, use a silver one (at the expense of over all brightness). The common logic is to get pieces of each color and use one as a backing for another. It prevents light from shining through the screen. And you can test out both in your space to see which one you want facing you.

Seating will be a cornered sectional, sitting right about where the drop ceiling ends. The door to the garage is immediately to the right of where the picture was taken, and I want the seating on that side of it. I'm not into the formal "home theater" seating.

The new receiver is a big debate point. Its a place I can shave a few hundred dollars of the cost by keeping features low. I definitely want at least 7 channels. The new trend is to add 2 more on the ceiling. Dolby Atmos is already out in the wild, and DTS' competing system will show up this fall. Some of the current systems that support the Dolby standard will get firmware upgrades to enable the DTS flavor, but probably not the ones in my price range. So I likely will just go for a 7 channel system and skip the object oriented formats for now.

Then we are going to do carpet squares on the floor. http://www.carpet-usa.com sells variety packs of color families pretty cheap. My calculations say about $200 to do the whole thing. I'm still mulling if I want greys or earth tones.
this sounds awesome, keep us updated. I remember having grand plans on turning the basement into a giant theater. It's still on the list, but man that was 9 years ago, funny where time and money goes to... It's still a decent setup, but every few months I keep thinking about past dreams and how am I going to get this done. From all the years of doing this, I think I have about 5 or 6 different versions saved and it's funny seeing the progression as technology changed...

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:08 am

Looking for a radio for my 08 kia sportage, id like it to have cd, bluetooth for pandora and iheart and if possible the hidden hd channels like Penguins24/7 etc. I found a few on crutchfield, but I was wondering if yinz had any suggestions?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri May 15, 2015 5:59 pm

This one isn't too bad for the price. Pandora, USB, bluetooth, SD, but I don't see anything with HD radio.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWR900B ... 02&tp=5684

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 am

Looking to buy a bigger tv for the living room. Not going balls out 4k or curved or anything like that. Just a 60"-65"er for a decent price. Any suggestions brand wise? I'm leaning towards Samsung or Vizio right now.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 18, 2015 9:07 am

Looking to buy a bigger tv for the living room. Not going balls out 4k or curved or anything like that. Just a 60"-65"er for a decent price. Any suggestions brand wise? I'm leaning towards Samsung or Vizio right now.
You're first question should be plasma vs. LCD. Although I think more folks tend to lean towards LCD nowadays. And since you say living room, I assume you'll want LCD.

We bought a 46" Samsung floor unit a couple years ago, and are well pleased. It did sit in a basement for the first couple of years though, and now that we've moved, it will be in a room with more light. I'm interested in seeing whether that has any affect on it.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon May 18, 2015 9:12 am

Definitely LCD. I have a LCD now and never had an issue with it until I moved and it didn't fit the room anymore (37"). Seems like you can get a 60" Smart LED relatively cheap these days.

Edit: Budget is $1000

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 18, 2015 9:26 am

I ended up buying a Smart 3D floor model for ~$750 a couple years ago. I didn't even want the 3D, but that was when 3D was the shiznits and that's all they were selling at best buy. I'd normally shop online, but it was actually a good deal at the time.

Not sure what the market is now. Samsung is a really good name brand, and I believe you get what you pay for with the name. I don't have any experience with Vizio, so can't say anything about them.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Mon May 18, 2015 9:26 am

Unfortunately, plasma is out of the equation. Nobody is making them any longer (there might still be one Samsung mid range model in production).

I'd look at Samsung, LG, and Vizio, maybe Sharp if there is a good sale price on one. I have heard the new Panasonic LED lit sets are really good, but I haven't seen one myself.

Your best bet to get a good deal is to use a store charge card. Sometimes they just offer 0% financing for X number of months. Other times you can elect instant savings of 5 or 10% instead of the financing.

I really like Samsung's suite of smart tv apps now that I've been using it for a while. LG's probably have a more accurate picture in terms of color.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 18, 2015 9:43 am

And since you say living room, I assume you'll want LCD.
what makes you say that?

a living room implies that there will be a lot of ambient light - a situation much better suited for plasmas.

a good plasma has always been better than a good LCD, but like MiamiVice said, plasmas are basically dead, so LCD is going to the practical decision almost every time.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon May 18, 2015 9:46 am

Unfortunately, plasma is out of the equation. Nobody is making them any longer (there might still be one Samsung mid range model in production).

I'd look at Samsung, LG, and Vizio, maybe Sharp if there is a good sale price on one. I have heard the new Panasonic LED lit sets are really good, but I haven't seen one myself.

Your best bet to get a good deal is to use a store charge card. Sometimes they just offer 0% financing for X number of months. Other times you can elect instant savings of 5 or 10% instead of the financing.

I really like Samsung's suite of smart tv apps now that I've been using it for a while. LG's probably have a more accurate picture in terms of color.
Exactly what I am doing. I have a Best Buy card for the occasions that I want to treat myself to something nice.

I do love the picture that Sharps have, but man... the price. :|

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:24 am

My panny plasma(p50s30 I think is the model number) is still the best tv in my house(I have one of each LCD/LED/Plasma). It's gonna be a sad day when that thing kicks the bucket. Such a great picture on that thing.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 19, 2015 11:19 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 19, 2015 11:22 am

the i3 processor is a concern. i wouldn't touch it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am

Lots of rumors that Apple will be announcing a new AppleTV at WWDC. It's very needed. I really like my AppleTV 3 but it feels incredibly dated compared to the Roku 3. Give me an app store and I'll be very happy.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 19, 2015 2:41 pm

I think an i3 is fine for a HTPC - especially given that the 4130T is a Haswell based CPU. I would have said no i3 before Sandy Bridge, but since then they have really become both powerful and power efficient. If you want to get into transcoding for multiple mobile clients then stepping up to an i5 is a good idea.

If I wanted a low cost HTPC with as little fuss as possible I'd buy a Chromebox and put the OpenElec operating system on it. OpenElec does nothing but run Kodi (formerly known as XBMC). You get it all - 1080p hardware decode of all codecs and HD audio bitstreaming.

I actually just installed it this past weekend on an ancient machine with a T5450 1.66ghz Core 2 Duo processor, 8500 GT video card. and 2gb ram. My only complaint is that scrolling through my movie library is less fluid than on my AMD A10 based HTPC, but it was very serviceable. When I move I am going to put a newer video card in the machine so I can bitstream HD audio out.
Lots of rumors that Apple will be announcing a new AppleTV at WWDC. It's very needed. I really like my AppleTV 3 but it feels incredibly dated compared to the Roku 3. Give me an app store and I'll be very happy.

What do you use the ATV for most?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Source of the post If I wanted a low cost HTPC with as little fuss as possible I'd buy a Chromebox and put the OpenElec operating system on it. OpenElec does nothing but run Kodi (formerly known as XBMC). You get it all - 1080p hardware decode of all codecs and HD audio bitstreaming.
I've never heard of this thing before. It's just a viewer, right? Can I download from this box onto an external HDD and watch? I still need a separate pc to rip backups to a HDD and then connect to this?

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 19, 2015 3:01 pm

What do you use the ATV for most?
Currently mostly for Netflix, WWE Network, HBO Go, Hulu, and mirroring my iPhone music to the speaker system.

I have a super old first generation Roku HD that I use in my bedroom that I'd like to replace soon. The plan is to put the new AppleTV in the living room and moved the old one to the backroom, finally retiring the Roku.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Source of the post If I wanted a low cost HTPC with as little fuss as possible I'd buy a Chromebox and put the OpenElec operating system on it. OpenElec does nothing but run Kodi (formerly known as XBMC). You get it all - 1080p hardware decode of all codecs and HD audio bitstreaming.
I've never heard of this thing before. It's just a viewer, right? Can I download from this box onto an external HDD and watch? I still need a separate pc to rip backups to a HDD and then connect to this?
This forum thread on the Chromebox/Kodi combo is a good way to waste a few hours tonight http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networ ... mebox.html

Chromebox is a line a very lightweight computers running the Google Chrome operating system. Different PC makers manufacture them with various spec levels. The newer CPUs from Intel are very good at video decoding - no video card needed. So hardware wise these things start around $150 and have everything you need to play movies.

People have been replacing the OS with OpenElec - you can easily boot it from a thumb drive or SD card. Like I said, the sole purpose of that is to run Kodi. So it makes a great little client to access your library. I know Kodi has tons of add ons that can download from Usenet groups and stuff like that, but I'm not familiar with them or what ripping options are available. So you'd probably want another machine to rip and host movies.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm

tl;dnr

Is there a compelling (aka non-political) reason for me to buy one of these devices instead of Apple TV?

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 19, 2015 3:40 pm

tl;dnr

Is there a compelling (aka non-political) reason for me to buy one of these devices instead of Apple TV?
No. Well, probably not.

Apple TV and Roku are best for accessing content from over the internet - Netflix and stuff like that. But they have extremely limited file/codec compatibility.

PC based systems have much better file support for playing your own video files. But they don't have as many good ways to utilize streaming apps.

So it just depends on what you want to watch. I use a PC to record tv and watch bluray rips, but I use my smart tv's built in apps for Netflix and HBO Go.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Why not just use Plex?