home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:56 am

WRT the VPN, you'd need a wireless router that has VPN capability. You would configure the paid VPN on the router, and simply turn it on when you wanted to watch games (since you're in-market). This would require you logging into the router to do this each time, unless you simply left the VPN connected full-time, which may not actually matter to you.
is this a pretty reasonable thing for someone who has no idea about any of this to setup?
Probably not if you're uncomfortable with managing this, and more importantly, troubleshooting it when issues arise. If FiOS is available in your area, I would urge you to consider that first.
Even a complete moron could follow the unblock-us instructions. I should know... I am one.
unblockus on SONY TV is literally going to network setup on the TV and putting in ther DNS Server numbers? That's it according to their website? That seems way too easy. If NHLtv is available on android tv for Sony, I'm in.
Never tried that since I don't have a smartTV, but if that's what the site says, I would trust it. I had Unblockus for 3 years and never had an issue. One cool side effect was getting to select different Netflix regions which unlocked content not available in North America.

Oh, and be sure to purchase NHL.TV using the VPN. You'll get an international discount.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:58 am

I can't speak to the quality, but if you've got a device that's hardwired to your network, I would go with that over wireless.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am

I'm fine paying for a VPN ( I have no idea what to do with this whatsoever). I'm fine with paying for an NHL service if that works with the VPN. I don't want to have to stream it from a PC though...
I used to use unblock-us and it was incredibly easy to change the DNS on the router, or even directly on the Roku if you don't want your entire network on the VPN. They provide detailed instructions on how to set it up on every possible device. For example, I had it on the Roku, Xbox 360, and my laptop. They also have great customer service/forums to help if you would get stuck for whatever reason.
looks like no NHLtv on android tv. Can I get unblockus on just the roku and not have to mess with the router?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am

I'm fine paying for a VPN ( I have no idea what to do with this whatsoever). I'm fine with paying for an NHL service if that works with the VPN. I don't want to have to stream it from a PC though...
I used to use unblock-us and it was incredibly easy to change the DNS on the router, or even directly on the Roku if you don't want your entire network on the VPN. They provide detailed instructions on how to set it up on every possible device. For example, I had it on the Roku, Xbox 360, and my laptop. They also have great customer service/forums to help if you would get stuck for whatever reason.
looks like no NHLtv on android tv. Can I get unblockus on just the roku and not have to mess with the router?
Yup I take that back. Looks like you have to do it on the router level now.

https://support.unblock-us.com/hc/en-us ... Unblock-Us

AppleTV can be configured though. Same with all consoles.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11 am

Finally found the TV I was looking for. Just grabbed a Sony X900E from Best Buy for $999. Had a twinge of chest-pain, but I just decided if it's what I wanted, just pay for it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am

Finally found the TV I was looking for. Just grabbed a Sony X900E from Best Buy for $999. Had a twinge of chest-pain, but I just decided if it's what I wanted, just pay for it.
I have this TV (65"). It is stunning!

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 am

I can tell you that Roku + NHL TV is amazing. I love it. The only thing is that I am out of market and I don't usually have to worry about blackouts except games on NHL network or NBCS. So basically all the playoffs. I may want to look into a VPN for that reason alone.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:40 am

I can tell you that Roku + NHL TV is amazing. I love it. The only thing is that I am out of market and I don't usually have to worry about blackouts except games on NHL network or NBCS. So basically all the playoffs. I may want to look into a VPN for that reason alone.
Will NHL TV not broadcast playoff games if they are on NBC or NBCS?

edit: I guess that wouldn't matter as I could stream those from the apps (or would it not work with a VPN when you have to log in your TV provider?)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:05 pm

I have this TV (65"). It is stunning!
Yea I bought the 55 inch version for my living room. I'm frustrated because I could have gone max 60, but there aren't many great TVs at that size, seems you're either 55 or 65.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Will NHL TV not broadcast playoff games if they are on NBC or NBCS?

edit: I guess that wouldn't matter as I could stream those from the apps (or would it not work with a VPN when you have to log in your TV provider?)
The VPN will take care of that. The international NHL.tv will have broadcasts from NBC, NBCSN, and NHL Network.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 pm

The NHL TV app will not let me watch a game if it is being broadcast by NHL Network, NBC, or NBCS. I can stream it from some other app if I have access to that app. So for NBCS you would need something like a SlingTV subscription. I watched the Flyers game last night on Sling. It's ok. I guess I'm not all that impressed with sling and to get NHLN and NBCS it's not all that cheap. The picture is much better with NHL TV. I haven't tried any other streaming service. I know youtube TV has NBCS but not NHLN. I might give that a try here sometime.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:53 pm

The NHL TV app will not let me watch a game if it is being broadcast by NHL Network, NBC, or NBCS. I can stream it from some other app if I have access to that app. So for NBCS you would need something like a SlingTV subscription. I watched the Flyers game last night on Sling. It's ok. I guess I'm not all that impressed with sling and to get NHLN and NBCS it's not all that cheap. The picture is much better with NHL TV. I haven't tried any other streaming service. I know youtube TV has NBCS but not NHLN. I might give that a try here sometime.
Do you use a VPN?

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 pm

No. I've never invested the time to try and set one up. I live around the Washington Baltimore area so Pens/Caps games get blacked out for me as well. Do you have a good VPN to recommend? I'm thinking about looking into it.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:46 pm

The NHL.tv app on iOS and Android use the geolocation of your device, overriding your unblock-us setup. Not sure about Apple TV or Roku, however. I can still launch on a Chrome tab and cast it to my TV via Chromecast.

Samsung doesn't have an NHL app, but the MLB app works fine with unblock-us.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:50 pm

looks like xbox one it is then

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:12 pm

No. I've never invested the time to try and set one up. I live around the Washington Baltimore area so Pens/Caps games get blacked out for me as well. Do you have a good VPN to recommend? I'm thinking about looking into it.
Unblock-us.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:41 pm

looks like xbox one it is then
Yes, it works on my PS4 without any issues.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 pm

FYI, it looks like the the NHL app is now available on Amazon Fire devices: http://www.aftvnews.com/new-nhl-app-bri ... -tv-stick/

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 am

anyone use an echo dot or any of these voice activated devices as an alarm clock in the bedroom?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 am

anyone use an echo dot or any of these voice activated devices as an alarm clock in the bedroom?
I have, it's not terribly loud - I use it for office stuff when working from home. I can't imagine how great it'd be use to waking up to.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 am

You can manage the alarm volume from the Alexa app. I used to use it before I started waking up before the alarm constantly. It's a pleasant sound, IMO, and the blue LEDs help wake you up if you're nearby.

Edit: I just noticed that you can choose from other alarm sounds, too. Nice.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 am

I like the idea of making the lights turn on/off from bed. Can you custom these things to wake up to certain music in your library?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 am

I like the idea of making the lights turn on/off from bed. Can you custom these things to wake up to certain music in your library?
Doesn't appear so, no. There are a dozen or so built-in sounds, and another section where you can pick a "celebrity" alarm... including two Sharknado ones :lol: .

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:51 am

Doesn't appear so, no. There are a dozen or so built-in sounds, and another section where you can pick a "celebrity" alarm... including two Sharknado ones :lol: .
We have smart plugs all throughout the house. That new sony also is alexa enabled. It's so satisfying to set a group up and say "turn on entertainment" and the living room lights turn on and TV comes on.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 pm

We have smart plugs all throughout the house. That new sony also is alexa enabled. It's so satisfying to set a group up and say "turn on entertainment" and the living room lights turn on and TV comes on.
I'm working my way there. I really only control my thermostat with Alexa, and that's on the very rare occasion that I do want to veer from the set schedule. I may buy a few TP-Link smart plugs just to see how useful it'll be, since they're so cheap.