home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 pm

i know they sell that overseas - why not here?

tv can be paused and rewound when using that tuner. so that would mean the xbox is recording a buffer stream. why not go all the way and actually allow scheduled recordings that can be watched later?

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed May 06, 2015 1:37 pm

http://deadline.com/2015/05/comcast-cus ... 201421276/
But that’s about to change CEO Brian Roberts vowed today as he unveiled a multi-year plan costing about $300 million to modernize its stores, and hire 5,500 customer service reps — including 2,000 at new call centers planned for Albuquerque, NM; Spokane, WA; and Tucson, AZ. In addition to the investments, starting this year all employees will be required to participate in customer experience training.
That tells me their awful service reputation had something to do with the DOJ stomping on their TWC takeover attempt. Its a pre-emptive strike for the next cable company (likely foreign), streaming service (possibly Netflix) or wireless provider (T-Mobile) they try to buy.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:32 pm

What DVD or Bluray ripping software do you use? I've been using DVDShrink and then Handbrake, but there must be one program that rips and then encodes....right?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 06, 2015 2:39 pm

I use anydvdhd, then for blurays, hdbrstreamextractor then mkvmerge

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed May 06, 2015 2:53 pm

I have a few tools I use.

Typically i just need MakeMKV. Its free and will decrypt the disc, letting you make a single mkv file out of a DVD or bluray.

It doesn't shrink it or convert the codecs, it just repackages the movie as a single mkv file. For 2 disc movies I will then use mkvmerge to create a single file. Thats a good program for adding a track you find online, like RiffTrax or other commentaries.

MakeMKV doesn't properly handle HD-DVD refresh rates, so files from those discs need to be ran thru Another eAC3 to gui to reconstitute a 23.976 video stream.

If you want to batch convert a bunch of avi, mp4, etc to mkv then MetaFox is a good one. You just drag the file(s) you want to convert into the tool and it spits an mkv file out in the same file folder.

I also use AnyDVD. It acts like a middle man between Windows and your optical disc drive. It makes the disc appear as unencrypted to programs on your pc. So if it were running in the background you could use Handbrake directly.

Which brings me to Handbrake. If I ever want to convert something I use that. There is a way to make it open encrypted DVDs without a tool like AnyDVD, but not bluray. http://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to- ... -rip-them/

For a free way to shrink movies and/or convert them for mobile use you could run then thru MakeMKV to start, then thru Handbrake to shrink them.

I rarely re-compress anything though. I save mkv files and use Plex server software on my PC to convert them in real time to other devices like my cell phone.

Video Redo is another one I use. That's for cutting commercials out of shows I DVR. It would be a good one for working with home movies.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Whoops
Last edited by tifosi77 on Thu May 07, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed May 06, 2015 7:53 pm

I still use anydvd and clonedvd for dvds. Haven't jumped over to bluray yet because last I checked, it really wasn't convenient. Is your method above take a while? Why is it that slysoft can't make something for blurays as easy as their clonedvd?

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed May 06, 2015 7:57 pm

I have a few tools I use.

Typically i just need MakeMKV. Its free and will decrypt the disc, letting you make a single mkv file out of a DVD or bluray.

It doesn't shrink it or convert the codecs, it just repackages the movie as a single mkv file. For 2 disc movies I will then use mkvmerge to create a single file. Thats a good program for adding a track you find online, like RiffTrax or other commentaries.

MakeMKV doesn't properly handle HD-DVD refresh rates, so files from those discs need to be ran thru Another eAC3 to gui to reconstitute a 23.976 video stream.

If you want to batch convert a bunch of avi, mp4, etc to mkv then MetaFox is a good one. You just drag the file(s) you want to convert into the tool and it spits an mkv file out in the same file folder.

I also use AnyDVD. It acts like a middle man between Windows and your optical disc drive. It makes the disc appear as unencrypted to programs on your pc. So if it were running in the background you could use Handbrake directly.

Which brings me to Handbrake. If I ever want to convert something I use that. There is a way to make it open encrypted DVDs without a tool like AnyDVD, but not bluray. http://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to- ... -rip-them/

For a free way to shrink movies and/or convert them for mobile use you could run then thru MakeMKV to start, then thru Handbrake to shrink them.

I rarely re-compress anything though. I save mkv files and use Plex server software on my PC to convert them in real time to other devices like my cell phone.

Video Redo is another one I use. That's for cutting commercials out of shows I DVR. It would be a good one for working with home movies.
If I have a bunch of mp4s that I want to throw on a dvd, I've been using convert x to dvd (I think that's what it's called). Is there a better/easier program to put these on dvd or a bluray?

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Wed May 06, 2015 9:19 pm

I still use anydvd and clonedvd for dvds. Haven't jumped over to bluray yet because last I checked, it really wasn't convenient. Is your method above take a while? Why is it that slysoft can't make something for blurays as easy as their clonedvd?
What is your end goal - to create rips with full menus, to save the main movie stream untouched, or to compress and convert the movie?

AnyDVD will allow you to copy a bluray to folder structures or iso, which maintain the menus. if youre doing a 3D bluray you need to do iso or use makemkv.

If I have a bunch of mp4s that I want to throw on a dvd, I've been using convert x to dvd (I think that's what it's called). Is there a better/easier program to put these on dvd or a bluray?
What exactly do you want to play them on?

Your .mp4 files probably contain H264 video and AAC audio (especially if these are home movies shot digitally). That isn't part of the DVD standard, so that software is converting the video to MPEG2 and probably converting the audio to MP2, then sticking them in the .vob container.

H264 and AAC is playable on virtually all bluray players natively. You could burn your mp4 files onto a disc as data files (like writing to a flash drive) and a bluray player and some DVD players could play it. The only problem you might run into is if you decide to burn them on a DVD-R as opposed to a bluray disc. Blank DVD discs can hold HD video as a data file, but not as part of the DVD-Video standard. Your pc probably has a 32x DVD read speed, but the DVD laser in your home theater equipment doesnt. So it might not be able to read HD video fast enough to play without skipping. You wouldnt have that problem with a blank bluray.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Takes a while. Maybe like 80 minutes start to finish.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu May 07, 2015 8:23 am

Source of the post What is your end goal - to create rips with full menus, to save the main movie stream untouched, or to compress and convert the movie?

AnyDVD will allow you to copy a bluray to folder structures or iso, which maintain the menus. if youre doing a 3D bluray you need to do iso or use makemkv.
When backing up dvds now, I'm trying to avoid compressing as much as I can using dual layer dvds if necessary. I've also been using mp4 files from my external HD and playing them through my roku 3 which has been nice. I haven't done anything with blurays yet, usually just rent them and watch them. If there was an easy way to backup blurays either onto a blank BD disc or onto my HDD, that's where I'd like to go. Sounds like it's a lot easier to go the PLEX route than make a copy.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu May 07, 2015 9:21 am

My recommendation would be based on 1) what you want to play it on and 2) how much hard drive space you're willing to use.

Bluray discs are 25-45gb on average, so thats like 50 movies to a 2tb drive if you are just remuxing them and not adding additional compression. MakeMKV is the fastest and best way to do that. Depending on your drive it could take anywhere from a few minutes to 40.

If you have the hard drive space, and you have a PC to host them on, I think using MakeMKV to make the files and then using Plex to get them to your devices is the best way foward. For starters, hard drive space is much cheaper than blank bluray on a gigabyte basis.

Secondly, you have your discs backed up in bit perfect quality. I compressed hundred of CDs to 128mbps MP3s years ago, and eventually wanted to re-do all of them lossless. I turned all of my DVDs into Xvid based AVI files, which looked fine on a 24" Trinitron, but looked awful on a 50" 1080p set. So I had to redo those too. When I started backing up bluray discs DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD were still fairly problematic, and I didn't have a receiver with support anyway, so I only saved lossy versions of the audio. Which meant redoing all of those in time too.

Third, Plex can convert them in real time to streams accessible on a Roku (which has limited file support), mobile (which needs lower data bitrates), or a game console (Xbox and Playstation only at this point). Plus the Plex app for 2012 and newer Samsung smart tvs is great (I think I remember you having a Samsung).

Fourth, Plex is a great way to share home movies with family. I've been archiving 8mm video cassettes and old pictures onto my computer for a few years. My family members have Plex accounts and I share that part of the server with them. So my aunt in Greensburg can watch our Christmas 1990 video while she's putting up her tree.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu May 07, 2015 9:26 am

Source of the post Fourth, Plex is a great way to share home movies with family. I've been archiving 8mm video cassettes and old pictures onto my computer for a few years. My family members have Plex accounts and I share that part of the server with them. So my aunt in Greensburg can watch our Christmas 1990 video while she's putting up her tree.
That sounds great, I'm guessing they would have access to bluray backups as well? Right now, I share my dvd backups with the family for viewing, so that sounds like a nice alternative rather than the physical media.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu May 07, 2015 10:05 am

In the Plex set up you create various libraries "movies," "tv shows," "pictures," etc. Say you wanted to give me access to only your music library. I have a Plex account (which is free to create) so you could invite me to share your server, and when you create the invitation you only grant access to the music library.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu May 07, 2015 1:19 pm

Thank you kind sir, next question, do they make a decent external bluray burner for a laptop or an older machine still running xp(plan is to rebuild next year)

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu May 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Gonna re apply the cord when we move so I can watch Pens games. Also it's nice to be able to turn on the TV while I'm doing chores so it's something I can ignore. What's better in Pittsburgh; Comcast or Fios?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Gonna re apply the cord when we move so I can watch Pens games. Also it's nice to be able to turn on the TV while I'm doing chores so it's something I can ignore. What's better in Pittsburgh; Comcast or Fios?
Never had Comcast, but did have Fios. I also had DirecTV for a while, and I'd go with Fios hands down. Internet is pretty reliable as well. Only downside is they do install a relatively large box in the garage for the equipment.

I think I'm going sans cord in my new place. Problem is I'm not sure I can get Comcast or Fios. Might have to go with Armstrong.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu May 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Thank you kind sir, next question, do they make a decent external bluray burner for a laptop or an older machine still running xp(plan is to rebuild next year)
I honestly don't know for sure. I assume there are drivers for XP, and even if XP doesn't natively support writing the discs I'm sure some software would.
I've always had Comcast. I've been kicking around who I want when I move next month, since both are on the table.

I honestly think Comcast has more channels, and I think more in HD too. Verizon wins on internet speed. I can't complain about Comcast's service the way others have, so I've lucked out there.

I don't know what Verizon's whole home DVR system looks like, but I do like the look of Comcast's X1 (though I'd never pay to use theirs)

I'd just compare which tiers each offers and what channels you want. The Fios custom channel package thing could be great if it makes sense for you.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu May 07, 2015 2:37 pm

If it is hands down better internet with Verizon then that is the way I will go. Internet is more important than TV options for us.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue May 12, 2015 8:24 am

Question re: sonos. Does it connect over wifi or Bluetooth? Are there any other similar options to this?

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 12, 2015 9:03 am

Question re: sonos. Does it connect over wifi or Bluetooth? Are there any other similar options to this?
Traditionally all Sonos components spoke to each other over their own private wifi network. Its only been in the last year or 2 since the popularity exploded that it integrated fully with your home wifi network.

Similar options? Logitech made an excellent line of products called the Squeezebox for years, but they have since become discontinued. You can still find them on ebay - I think they're great. They work in roughly the same manner, but they aren't being updated for things like Spotify.

If you're an iOS house, Apple TV actually fills this niche well too. You don't need to have it plugged into a television - you could have it connected to a small amp like this one http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tr ... grid_i_0_0or a pair of PC speakers. You use the Airplay functionality on your iOS device to get music either from the device you're using or from a computer to the Apple TV. I have a co-worker that I helped set this up for. He has all his music stored on a WD My Cloud. His main music listening device is a Mac Mini connected to a Peachtree DAC/amp. He can control it without a screen via his phone. He also has one or two Apple TVs in his house for the same purpose.

When I move next month I'm going to roll my own solution based on Plex (the movie library software I referenced above). I already use Plex to get my music from the PC it's stored on to my cell phone. I have 3 or 4 old Android phones in my house - the are all going to become playback targets, just like the Apple TVs would. When I go to play something on Plex now I have the option to send it to my Samsung TV, Xbox One, Google TV, girlfriend's Surface, etc. So I'm going to use that sort of functionality in conjunction with a small amp like the one i linked to above.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 12, 2015 10:01 am

you setting up some sort of wifi amplifier? sounds like it's going to be very frustrating if you don't have the right network speed

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:14 am

If it is hands down better internet with Verizon then that is the way I will go. Internet is more important than TV options for us.
Are you sure Fios is in your area? Fios isn't rolled out everywhere in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas.

I have Comcast for internet(the only choice I have besides DSL) and their speeds are fine. Never goes down. Work pays most of that bill though so the charge isn't a big deal. I pay more because I don't have them for TV service.

I have DirecTV for tv and they have been great to me the 4 or so years I've had them at this house. Hardly ever lose signal even in bad storms, whole house DVR hookup is really nice, and price wise can't complain either.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 12, 2015 11:09 am

you setting up some sort of wifi amplifier? sounds like it's going to be very frustrating if you don't have the right network speed
I'm still figuring out exactly what I want to do. But basically I know I want to have several zones of audio

1) the entertainment center in the living room
2) the dining room
3) the patio
4) the bar room
5) the entertainment center in the basement

1 and 5 are easy - those will have HTPCs hooked up to receivers.

The other rooms I'm not sure yet. I might use a product like this in the dining room:

That would draw power from the gang box and then provide it to two in wall speakers. Bluetooth would be the source directly from my phone. That way anything I play on the phone (local music, Rhapsody, etc) would be available.

For the bar I'm not entirely sure either. I am going to get a new receiver - I'm trying to decide of a 2 zone audio model makes sense. The bar is right next to where I'm sticking a projector:

I threw those pictures in there to denote where the projector screen is going (diy spandex) and also where my 37" tv is going.

There will be a surround system to the left of the room where the screen is, but I also want 2 speakers in the ceiling above the bar. I want them to have access to several audio sources - whats on the projector, whats on the tv, audio only, etc.

My av equipment rack will go undernear the stairs, so getting sources shouldnt be a problem. I just need to figure out the best cheapest way to utilize several sources.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 12, 2015 11:13 am

if you're designing rooms, i'd check out SweetHome3d. awesome software.

and how much did the presence of a basement factor into your decision on the house. 100%?