home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:34 am

I have about 200 CDs that I want to rip along with another 50 DVDs of MP3s and I can't motivate myself to spend a day on a weekend to even move the MP3s. Mostly because I know the success rate on the DVDs will not be very high and I wasn't very graceful with a good number of my CDs.

With YouTube and Amazon Music being so readily available, I rarely even go into my MP3 stash anymore.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:36 am

I myself ripped all on my CDs to iTunes back in 2004. Been 100% digital on purchases since.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:43 am

I did about 400 CDs by just doing 20 or so each night before bed.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:45 am

I moved all my CDs into a large box with the intent to distill them down into a big CD binder eventually. Not sure I'll ever do that.

What's the end-life for CDs? Donation? Sell them to CD Warehouse? Craigslist? I have them all backed up on mp3. Other than putting one in my '90s Mustang as a novelty last year I haven't touched one in years.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:47 am

It was easier to throw away.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 pm

If they were kept in their cases, they could be fine. And yes, eddy, I would start with ripping all of the CDs using a program that will also save the metadata. iTunes will work, but it'll also add the ripped files to your library automatically.
Yeah, those old car visor CD storage units killed a lot of CDs. Mine for the most part were stored in their cases in a cool basement and will easily outlive me, or at least have lost less data when they are in their 80s.

Listening to my original press 1987 Information Society CD right now and it sounds fabulous.

Don't judge me.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:26 pm

If they were kept in their cases, they could be fine. And yes, eddy, I would start with ripping all of the CDs using a program that will also save the metadata. iTunes will work, but it'll also add the ripped files to your library automatically.
Yeah, those old car visor CD storage units killed a lot of CDs. Mine for the most part were stored in their cases in a cool basement and will easily outlive me, or at least have lost less data when they are in their 80s.

Listening to my original press 1987 Information Society CD right now and it sounds fabulous.

Don't judge me.
I wanna know, what you're thinking...

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Don't judge me.
I had no idea people cared about original pressings of CDs. I know plenty of people who think music "sounds better" on vinyl but that can't possibly be the case with CDs, can it?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Nah, CDs are digital and vinyl is analog. The digital format is what makes it not sound as good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:05 pm

I took it to mean his CDs haven't succumbed to bitrot yet.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:07 pm

I myself ripped all on my CDs to iTunes back in 2004. Been 100% digital on purchases since.
A friend gave me a 500 gig external drive full of music. I went in and selected all the music I had off it and just cloned it over to my PC. I got my full 14,000-song library digitized in about 90 minutes. It was sweet.

The only problem was that he hadn't done the metadata correctly. So over the years, I've had to update things like liner notes, album art, track order, etc, on probably 3/4 of the songs. So it was a bit of a trade off.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 pm

I took it to mean his CDs haven't succumbed to bitrot yet.
I had a Beatles CD when I started at EMI that was all foggy and hazy from that. Used it as a coaster.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Source of the post The only problem was that he hadn't done the metadata correctly.
I'm guilty of this. Early on, I never added the album name to my music, just artist and song title, as well as album artwork (I used one CD cover for the entire band/group's library). Thousands of songs later, it was too much effort to go back and correct this.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 pm

I moved all my CDs into a large box with the intent to distill them down into a big CD binder eventually. Not sure I'll ever do that.

What's the end-life for CDs? Donation? Sell them to CD Warehouse? Craigslist? I have them all backed up on mp3. Other than putting one in my '90s Mustang as a novelty last year I haven't touched one in years.
Hope the new owner of my 228 appreciates early Bad Religion as much as I did, because I just realized that I left that in the CD player prior to trading it in.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Don't judge me.
I had no idea people cared about original pressings of CDs. I know plenty of people who think music "sounds better" on vinyl but that can't possibly be the case with CDs, can it?
I meant in terms of it is really from 1987 and not some 2004 remaster or something.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:20 pm

I meant in terms of it is really from 1987 and not some 2004 remaster or something.
Yep. There is often a noticeable difference between original CD's and remasters.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:49 am

I'm guessing you audiophiles hate us Spotify plebs.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:43 am

I use a few forms of delivery for my music. I keep a select few CD's in my car that I never got around to putting on my iPod. The iPod is nearly full and stays docked in my car all the time. Also use Google Play while at work and occasionally in the car.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am

My car has a 6-CD changer in it that plays MP3s, so I do have all slots filled with MP3s. I use that 95% of the time, with the other 5% being streamed from my iPhone via BT.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 am

With Amazon music unlimited, I've just been downloading and deleting different albums throughout the week on my phone and using that, it's been pretty nice

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:58 am

I use a few forms of delivery for my music. I keep a select few CD's in my car that I never got around to putting on my iPod. The iPod is nearly full and stays docked in my car all the time. Also use Google Play while at work and occasionally in the car.
I hope you have that iPod backed up. I had a iPod Photo that was completely loaded. I had a couple rare things on there, including personal recordings of a few of my college bands. It lasted a long long time. So long that the computer where the songs were originally housed went kaput. One day, the iPod just refused to boot up. Poor little guy. And I ended up losing a lot of stuff that I probably won't be able to get back.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:59 am

I backup my iPhone every Tuesday and Thursday. My wife backs hers up every 4 years.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:08 am

I hope you have that iPod backed up. I had a iPod Photo that was completely loaded. I had a couple rare things on there, including personal recordings of a few of my college bands. It lasted a long long time. So long that the computer where the songs were originally housed went kaput. One day, the iPod just refused to boot up. Poor little guy. And I ended up losing a lot of stuff that I probably won't be able to get back.
I do, but I likely wouldn't buy another one. It's a classic from 2007, and all the music is on an external hard drive at home.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am

iPhones are easy to backup now. The iPod was a dodint, especially when the computer that the music was on died. If I even plugged it in to a new computer, it would immediately sync and delete the files on the iPod. It was the photo model so I think it was from 2004.