home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Did it not work with your login credentials, or did the app just not work period?

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Did it not work with your login credentials, or did the app just not work period?
Login credentials work fine. When I try to stream, I get a black screen and eventually an “Unknown error” telling me to restart or contact support.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Just read their FAQ. Can’t watch Pens games anyway.
Can I stream all AT&T SportsNet content on the app and website?
NHL and MLS content is not currently available for streaming.
Welp, illegal streaming wins again.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 am

At Best Buy today to get new phones. While we were there, I picked up an Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable.

It was a lot of fun to set up, brought back some memories. Of course it's a cheap knockoff, but it's certainly not bad for what it is. I broke it in this afternoon, while we set up our phones, with - Gaucho, Led Zeppelin 4, and The Royal Scam.

Gonna need, at the least, a better mat and cartridge, but it's a fun piece.
Funny coincidence, I bought one on Saturday too. We spent an hour in Jerry's and picked up a few winners - April Wine, Def Leppard (got Pyromania 35 years to the day after it's release), Isaac Hayes, The Spinners, Kool & the Gang, Journey, Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Iron Butterfly, Bobby Brown, & Phil Collins.

My receiver has a dedicated phono input, but I'd like to put the turntable in another room so I'm not sure 30ft of RCA cabling is going to work for that. I might have to use the built in pre-amp.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:43 am

im currently on day 5 of my stupid idea to clean up all my music metadata and file names. 1400+ albums. im using musicbrainz picard. a little bit of a learning curve but its pretty good once you get used to it.

best is finding some gems i forgot i had, like Lion's Dangerous Attraction and the Vinnie Vincent Invasion.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 pm

:lol: I gave up after a few hours. Too much time to change what I was looking to change.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:06 pm

some gems... Vinnie Vincent Invasion.
:lol: VV just announced a possible reunion...
Vinnie Vincent has announced a reunion of his Invasion band after an emotional on-stage reunion with its first vocalist, Robert Fleischman.
https://hardrockhub.com/2018/01/21/vinn ... announced/

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm

I wished I had cleaned up mine before uploading it to Google Music 6-7 years ago. Because of the sloppiness, I have a lot of tracks that won't match to Google Play Music All Access' tracks from the same album. So, I'll have Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" with 2 double tracks - one from upload, one from Google Play's streaming collection.

It's a mess, but in my defense, music streaming subscription wasn't a thing when I uploaded all of it.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:51 pm

So, I'll have Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" with 2 double tracks
Another way to achieve that. ;)
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... zz/381983/

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm

I was really only looking to add the album name and album artwork to all of my music. I have no idea why I started out omitting those specific things, but it ended up just not being worth the effort.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Lion's two claims to fame are that they featured Doug Aldrich (future Whitesnake guitarist) and sang the metalized theme song to the insane 1986 Transformers animated movie

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

I guess this goes here...

Anyone have a good pair of noise cancelling headphones? I've got a trip lined up to Orlando in February, and my boss told me to expect to have to travel more here in the near future, so that's a lot of time on planes. I'd like to get a pair, but do I really need to spend the $350 on a pair of bose?
I prefer Sennheiser or deep in earbuds. I don't like over the ear or big headphones. Something small, sleek, and solid drowns anything out.
sennheiser is better for sound. worse for noise cancelling. bose is the winner there. but they're cheaply made and may not last long.
I've had in-ear Bose headphones, they're comparable if not worse than any other in ear bud. If you want over the ear noise cancelling - the sony is better. Bose is not worth the cost.

I've tried dozens of different headphones to reduce sound and the plane "buzz" you often hear even with noise cancelling.

A pair I have right now - imported from China are my absolute favorite: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093VVP0Q/
I wanted a pair of the over the ear headphones... didn't want to spend the $350 on the high end stuff. I ordered a pair of $40 ones from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-H ... headphones) wasn't a fan, returned them almost immediately. Then looked for something in the mid-tier... $100-200 range. Found these:

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Wire ... beat+pro+2

I gotta say... so far I'm really liking them. My boss has a pair of Bose that I've compared the two here in the office as far as drowning out the ambient noise, and I gotta say that I can't hear a huge difference between the two for just noise cancellation. The sound quality on the two aren't too shabby either. I have to travel to Orlando toward the end of February. We'll see how they do on a plane.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 am

Sounds good - I think the MPOW stuff is total garage BUT is good for working out. I run through those earphones because they're so cheap but they do the job and I'm never worried about losing them.

I prefer in ear because I think over the ear for me makes my head huge.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:25 am

I have a pair of JLab Audio's Epic Sport for working out. I've gone through two pairs of the Epic 2s and each time JLab has replaced them for free. I really like the feel and the sound, but the first two pair quit on me after about 1-2 months. I'm wondering if it was all the sweat, so this time I got the Sport version which are supposedly much more water/sweat resistant.

I don't really care about how I look, so my head being huge isn't a concern for me. :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 pm

I have a pair of JLab Audio's Epic Sport for working out. I've gone through two pairs of the Epic 2s and each time JLab has replaced them for free. I really like the feel and the sound, but the first two pair quit on me after about 1-2 months. I'm wondering if it was all the sweat, so this time I got the Sport version which are supposedly much more water/sweat resistant.

I don't really care about how I look, so my head being huge isn't a concern for me. :lol:
Well when I'm traveling, I roll with ear-buds in constantly. From the time I get through security to the time I talk to the car rental person. Over the ears to me stick out like a sore thumb, even though they are likely way more comfortable for the actual airplane ride. Just a matter of preference.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:15 pm

When I was in Afghanistan we were not allowed to run on the roads with headphones on. Since I listened to audiobooks I ended up buying a speaker system that hooked onto my camelbak so I would be running around base in the dark with John Grisham or Dan Brown blaring, weird. Anyway I was walking to duty one day and a guy ran past our group wearing over the ear Beats by Dre in full PT gear. One of our Captains took off after him screaming about the regulation; Captain never caught the guy. :lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm

I have a directv receiver in our master bedroom. Is there a way to basically split output out of it so I can have two tvs hooked up to the same receiver? I know that they would be on the same channel - that’s not a problem.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm

meow

Postby meow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:23 pm

It’s that simple?

I found my weekend project

Edit. How long is too long for a hdmi cable?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm

It’s that simple?

I found my weekend project

Edit. How long is too long for a hdmi cable?
From that listings specs:
✔Transmission distance could be extended up to 30 ft maximum with a 28AWG HDMI cable or 48 ft with a 26AWG HDMI cable.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Much obliged

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:29 pm

I had a similar box with me when I deployed, they're straightforward. The longest I've personally run with an HDMI cable is 25ft. Internet seems to think 50ft is the max.

HDMI signal boosters exist and work up to 115ft ft: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDM ... B01EC2YEX0

I imagine you'd have to use an HDMI female-to-female coupler to get that distance as I doubt anyone makes a cable that long. I have no experience boosting HDMI.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 pm

before you go drilling holes in walls connect everything locally and make sure the splitter works.

hdmi is terrible, and splitters can wreck everything.

get an active hdmi cable coming out of the splitter for the long run. redmere is one branded technology to look for. thats what i use coming out of a 5 way splitter than connects my xbox one in the basement to my living room tv.

meow

Postby meow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm

An active hdmi cable is a specific type of cable?