home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 am

I keep my DVR pretty damn clean. Generally by Saturday I'll have all of the shows that recorded watched and deleted. I don't use it to stock up. That's what On Demand is for.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am

i feel like if you have more than 20 hours recorded you will probably never watch half of it and are afraid to throw all your old stuff away because you might use it sometime

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am

I have the AirTV. It is first and foremost a Sling and Netflix box. It has a limited google play store for apps (I just checked... Hulu is available), for instance, I can't take advantage of my HBO subscription through comcast on the AirTV app. But it has pandora and spotify which is nice.

The over the air channels are nice if you're close enough to the stations. I got an indoor antenna I can get Fox, ABC, CBS and PBS and a few other goofy channels. I cannot get NBC though.

All said, if I lived in a place where my local channels came in clear and I didn't care about getting AT&T sports Pittsburgh, I'd stick with it, because it's really nice to have all the channels in the same user interface. Unfortunately my local channels don't come in great and I do care about AT&T sports, so I think I'm going to go back to xfinity until DirectTV now figures things out for rural areas.
Thanks! Ordered AirTV with the cheapest Sling TV tier. Felt pretty good for sticking it to Dish Network (they really did not try to keep me much even after 7 years worth of ordering the 250 channel tier + HBO). And then I found out that sling is owned by Dish Network... :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:21 pm

i feel like if you have more than 20 hours recorded you will probably never watch half of it and are afraid to throw all your old stuff away because you might use it sometime
Not at all. It's just that we don't dedicate that much time to TV, so shows pile up. We will watch them, just at a slower pace. I only keep kids movies permanently, for my daughter.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Not at all. It's just that we don't dedicate that much time to TV, so shows pile up. We will watch them, just at a slower pace. I only keep kids movies permanently, for my daughter.
Re: "kids movies"

kimcartoon.me + "Web Video Caster" app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... o&hl=en_US ) = no need for DVR :)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:45 pm

kimcartoon.me + "Web Video Caster" app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... o&hl=en_US ) = no need for DVR :)
That wouldn't really work as a solution for us, as my daughter frequently picks a movie right where she previously left off. At any rate, my TiVos have hundreds of hours of HD recording time available on them, so I'm all set.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue May 15, 2018 12:57 pm

That wouldn't really work as a solution for us, as my daughter frequently picks a movie right where she previously left off. At any rate, my TiVos have hundreds of hours of HD recording time available on them, so I'm all set.
Cool! Just FYI, though - if you upgrade the Web Video Caster (just a few bucks) to the "professional" version - it will remember where you stopped the previous video (and keep the list of all previously played movies). Or at least that's what they claim - I never utilize that feature (my 4-year old demands to start from the beginning every single time. Over the last year, I must have seen the first 30 minutes of Coraline 50+ f$%^& times...)

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Your 4 year old has good taste. Coraline is awesome and terrifying.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 pm

She pretty much jumped over the Disney princess stage, she did not care for the Sesame Street, but even before she was 3, she got totally fascinated by monsters & ghosts - and so her favorite shows besides Coraline are Goosebumps (especially the Monster Blood and Mud Monster episodes), Troll Hunters,... Halloween is the favorite time of the year. And in the Beauty and the Beast she likes the Beast the most... :)

At least she loves to dress as a princess sometimes...

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 pm

She pretty much jumped over the Disney princess stage, she did not care for the Sesame Street, but even before she was 3, she got totally fascinated by monsters & ghosts - and so her favorite shows besides Coraline are Goosebumps (especially the Monster Blood and Mud Monster episodes), Troll Hunters,... Halloween is the favorite time of the year. And in the Beauty and the Beast she likes the Beast the most... :)

She sounds awesome. Do you guys watch Monster House? That's another weird/great/scary kids movie.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue May 15, 2018 1:27 pm

She sounds awesome. Do you guys watch Monster House? That's another weird/great/scary kids movie.
Gotta watch Paranorman, too. Fantastic movie.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Just changed out the battery and power/SD reader on my Samsung tablet. But one of the screws securing charging port went in sideways, didn't fully seat, and now I've stripped the head. So it's sitting a few millimeters higher than flush, which means I can't reattach the back of the case flush, which means the charging port is obstructed and cannot be used.

FML

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm

CRISIS AVERTED

I have mended it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 am

That is a cabin air filter he's hammering.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 am

Accessible from the engine bay? Nice.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 am

Yeah, I guess it's nice for that. But that housing has to be removed entirely if you want to do basic stuff like change spark plugs or, as I did the other day, replace an air intake hose. Most every BMW DIY write-up starts with "first remove the cabin air filter and housing..."

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am

There's zero chance that I will be replacing the plugs and igniters in my car when the time comes. I have no idea how I would even access the rear ones based on how far deep in the engine bay it sits.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 am

My kids were terrified by that movie!

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 pm

There's zero chance that I will be replacing the plugs and igniters in my car when the time comes. I have no idea how I would even access the rear ones based on how far deep in the engine bay it sits.
I just had to replace plugs and coils in my car. The rear ones were inaccessible for me, so I had to take it to the shop.

$530 for all 6 of each.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:45 pm

That’s pretty steep. I only plan on paying for the rear three, and only expect to pay $150ish (labor).

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:59 pm

My coils were about $30 each, plugs were $5 each and there were some minor part replacements from having old, dry rotted connections. Car is 2006 and has about 207k miles and (knock wood) runs well now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:03 pm

My ‘07 just turned 65k miles, lol.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:55 pm

City dwellers

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:10 pm

That’s just public transportation for you.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun May 20, 2018 6:43 pm